“Bad price/quality”

Ranked #214 of 654 Restaurants in Funchal
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I have been to this restaurant with a friend a few weeks ago. I am a frequent guest here at Il Gallo d'Oro, Riso etc. Someone recommended this restaurant, but I have to say it was a bad experience:
I ordered a kir royal as aperitif. The champagne was not sparkling anymore, so they replaced when I mentioned (this is not really a complaint, because this seems to happen a lot, even in very luxury hotels I went abroad).
We ordered two starters. The soup I had was not good, way too much cream and served cold. The other starter was with shrimps; they were okay, but not special.
For the main course my friend ordered tuna. I tasted too and I had to agree this was the worst tuna I had tasted in my entire life. Very bad quality and completely overcooked. We complained. First, the waiter said very rudely we had asked it well done, which was not even true (as if one would ever ask for a tuna well done...). Afterwards someone from the kitchen came to our table. He even agreed there was a problem to find good quality fish here (a lot of people think that it is easy on Madeira, being an island. However, this only applies to scabbard fish,...). If one has tuna on the menu and cannot find good quality locally, then they should import or remove it from the menu... In the end we did not need to pay for the tuna. However, I do not come to a restaurant for not paying. I do not mind paying, but I want the quality I pay for. The lamb I ordered as a main course was okay.
Positive: The wine that accompanied my lamb was very good. The sommelier was very kind actually. He offered himself to open a bottle that was normally not available by the glass. That I appreciated a lot and he was very friendly and skillful.
The interior of the restaurant looks very cheap. It seems they wanted to create an Eastern atmosphere but in our impression it looked more like a canteen. Cheap materials throughout. Also the chairs in the lobby were very uncomfortable. It looked like they had tried, but that it could not cost a lot of money, so everything looked rather cheap (I cannot comment on the rooms since I have never stayed at the hotel).
However, the prices they charge are not low at all. We left the restaurant with a high bill for the quality we got in return (even without the tuna; I do not mind paying at good restaurants, I even went to 3 Michelin star ones, but I want a good price/quality).
I noticed a lot of guests were enjoying their meal. I also notice a lot of positive reviews here. I do not think I am a difficult guest. In fact, I almost never complain and I am very tolerant. Sometimes I wonder whether people these days actually taste that it is not good...

Later I heard at another hotel that Choupana seems to have a lot of problems. A lot of staff is leaving the hotel, some are not paid for 2 months in a row etc. If I look at the prices they charge and the quality they deliver, I was not surprised hearing that...

1  Thank RoelDeMeu

Reviewed May 7, 2012

We ate there since it was in our hotel
Salmon tartar was just ok and fish main was really good
Food was nice but not my favorite and was expecting something more local rather than international cuisine

1  Thank cbell167
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Going back to a venue which has given so much pleasure in the past can sometimes be a real mistake, taking friends for their first visit, even more precarious. Is the service as good, will the atmosphere be as convivial, the food as outstanding?The answer in this case is a resounding YES! Although it's the quiet season and the restaurant only serving four tables, the standard of attention was impeccable. Staff in general are professional, efficient, and attentive, although most were different from our last visit the keystone to this restaurant is Morgado. A sommelier par excellence! What a refreshing change to have someone advising in the wines who isn't looking to up sell on the wines. We knew what we wanted, long live wines from the Anteljho region, both red and white.
Our guests adored the intelligent guidance to matching wine with food without the accompanying condescension so often experienced here in the UK.
From the tantalising mis en bouche to the sumptuous souffle, a stunning meal. If there was one minor observation, the lamb with chorizo needed more balance being slightly over salty. Don't be fooled, our next visit to Madeira will include at least one visit to Xopana, - just to make sure!

3  Thank Norifolk2016
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Visited the Xopana restaurant with family to celebrate an anniversary and the experience made our trip to Madeira all the more wonderful.
The interior is modern and stylish , the food is great both at lunch and dinner and the staff is knowledgeable and friendly.
Ask about the resort's own shuttle bus from downtown Funchal which will take you too and from the hotel/restaurant. The trip takes a mere 10-15 minutes by car and the view is well worth it.
If you go during the day, a short levada walk can be combined with lunch since the path goes right through the hotel grounds.

3  Thank vind1
TheRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Xopana Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a nice review about our restaurant. It is great to know that you already took advantage of our free shuttle service from Funchal to Xôpana Restaurant.

We are pleased to read that your anniversary celebration was highlighted by your experience with us. Hope we can have you back some day for another deserved treat!

The Xôpana Restaurant Team

Reviewed December 9, 2011

This was our second time to this restaurant, the first time we got a bad opinion on the food but... the place and the hotel stunned us. The pool view and the decoration of the hotel(not the restaurant)

This time though food was delicious! it was a pleasant experience, and they have a small menu which is good. You don't have to wait too long to eat and the service is fast and competent. They speak a few languages and are very polite and discreet.

The decoration of the restaurant is pretty plain and there is not a very charming atmosphere.
Its a shame because the food is really good but once you are there the lack of personalization is felt.

The restaurant and as well as the hotel is a bit far and difficult of access. It is not well indicated so if you don't have a GPS you better take a map with you. Another thing is the lack of light on the parking of the hotel i was a bit scared we didn't see anything! just the light coming out of the restaurant.

Another tip, bring both a coat because as its a big dinner room and as it is located way higher than Funchal its colder.
Also think about bringing cash with you, the credit card machine doesn't work well and it did happen to us that we have to go to the lobby of the hotel and it was complicated to pay.

TheRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Xopana Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2012

First we would like to thank you for giving us a second chance as your first experience at our restaurant was not the best. Second we would like to thank you for taking your time to write a review here.

The location thing can easily be overtaken if you previously book your table with us, as we are offering free return transfers from Funchal hotels to Xôpana restaurant. This way you do not need a GPS and you can drink our very good wines without worrying about taking the car down to Funchal. In order to get such a wonderful view over Funchal and such a serene atmosphere from our site we need to be up on the hills and consequently the temperature is a bit cooler up here. In the restaurant there is no need to wear a coat as it is heated inside.

The time you visited us is the lowest tourism season in Madeira and so it is understandable that there were very few guests having dinner and so the room seemed bigger and not so charming as it normally is.

About the lack of light on the parking place, we recognize it was not good and we already took action into it.

There is no need for customers to take cash with them as the credit card system works well though it may happen that the phone lines or the bank system itself have problems as it happened with you and, although it was not our fault, we did and we do apologize for that inconvenience.

Hope you can give us a third chance as like we say in Madeira, at third time is the charm!

The Xôpana Restaurant Team

Been to Xopana Restaurant? Share your experiences!