“Good local resturant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of L'osteria

L'osteria
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
L'osteria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #144 of 598 Restaurants in Funchal
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Good local resturant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

We were taken by friends we met at our hotel, The Residence. It is a short walk up the hill and is probably 50 yards to far back to get passing trade which is a great shame. We were made to feel very welcome and the surroundings were comfortable with inside and outside eating. As others have mentioned the menu format is similar to others being all inclusive for three courses with or without wine. We chose the with option and the house red was excellent. We had a number of different options with fois gras, duck, veal and sea bass between us. All were very good, with fresh vegetables prepared simply. Cost for two was 60 euros. I would recommend as an alternative to the well known trio of restaurants doing all inclusive menus.

• Visited June 2014

• Finnish first
Market Drayton, United Kingdom
“Don't get the reviews”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

TA seemed positive, and it was close to where we were staying. They offered a similar deal to larger restaurants in the Old Town,I.e. All in price for three courses including drinks. Sadly the similarity stopped there.The bread for the cover was stale, although this was not a major problem as the pate that came with it was not appetising. We both chose a duck breast starter which came with two pieces of lettuce and a few baby tomatoes. According to the Boss the duck came from a packet, although I could only describe it as bland, but inoffensive. She followed with lamb, and I chose veal with ham. Both meals arrived with a dark mass of gloop, which rendered any taste pointless. I had ice cream to finish, which was fine. She had pannacotta, which did not get a thumbs up.
I do not understand other reviewers, unless we got the wrong restaurant.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hampshire
“Wonderful restaurant on a wonderful island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

We have recently returned from a two week stay on Madeira during which time we dined at L'Osteria four times. We sat in a very pleasant courtyard area each time, enjoying great local food and Portuguese wines all beautifully presented. Our hosts were extremely friendly and hospitable and the service was unfailingly excellent.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Altonites
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

We selected this restaurant by the reviews on tripadvisor and were not overwhelmed. My starter of smoked salmon with pineapple and pesto was odd and not a flavour combination I'd want to repeat, my sister's prawn cocktail however was good and she very much enjoyed it. My main was the local dish of scabbard fish in a courgette crust. This was my first experience of scabbard fish and frankly was so off putting I didn't try again during our trip. The fish was overcooked and rather tasteless, I suspect it had been previously cooked and then reheated, but I could be wrong perhaps that's how the fish tastes normally. We asked for help selecting wine, the wine list had no description of the wine ( nor had any other wine list in any restaurant we visited on the island) so selecting wine was a bit of a lucky dip for anyone unfamiliar with Portuguese wines. This was the only bottle of white wine we tried during our stay and we were not impressed. After this we stuck to red though we had an odd glass of house white at various places.
the rest of the meal was Ok.My sister had some sort of chicken and I think we ate some desert service was adequate and as others have mentioned the table cloths were clean and the cutlery sparkled but I'm afraid the food was better looking than tasting. At 90 Euro's for 2 this was by far the most expensive meal we had during our stay.

• Visited May 2014
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
“Small but excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

We found this restaurant through Tripadvisor and can confirm
the good rating. During our 6 day stay in Funchal we had 2 dinners at L'Osteria and both where very good. Charming service, very good quality and tasty dishes nicely presented.
You can't go wrong