“Amateurish at Best, Potentially Deadly at Worst.”
Review of Pedra & Sal - CLOSED

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Every day on our recent two week holiday we passed Pedra & Sal at least twice when either leaving or returning to our hotel, and at least twice a day we were accosted by the waiter trying to tempt us into Pedra & Sal. One day we decided to give it a try, mainly due to the perseverance of the aforementioned waiter. I ordered a steak in a mushroom sauce and asked for it to be medium cooked and my wife ordered the sea bass skewer. My wife asked if the fish was fresh before ordering and the waitress said "all of our fish is fresh". The skewer duly arrived after a very long wait and the fish on it was still partly raw as it had obviously been frozen and not thawed properly before cooking. The peppers on the skewer were well cooked through. My steak came rare, which wasn't a major issue as it could be returned for a little more cooking but since the sea bass skewer was a disaster and we were lied to regarding its freshness we departed and left the food behind, without paying obviously, telling the waiter the reasons, while the waitress hid inside. There are too many good places to eat in and around the area to put up with amateurish cooking, lies and under cooked fish . Does the chef realise what the consequences of serving almost raw fish can potentially be? Pity he wasn't as driven or had the high standards of the waiter who persuaded us to eat there.

Reviewed September 9, 2011

A varied menu includiung local dishes.Consistently well cooked and presented food, especially the vegetables.

Fine dining but with a warm,friendly, family atmosphere.
Nothing is too much trouble.

They have the best freshly made waffles ever.

We will definitely return next year.

Reviewed July 9, 2011

The very pleasant waitor tried for a day or two to encourage us to eat at this restaurant so we decided to give it a try!
Unfortaunately we werent impressed at all! I ordered the traditional skewer meat and it was the toughest piece of rump steak I have tasted in a long time!! Eventually they realised I hadnt eaten it and seemed surprised and insisted on replacing it.... unfortunately the replacement was the same. They told me they hadnt had any complaints with the meat before and customers usually loved it! It really was too tough to eat!

My partner ordered the chicken on a skewer and it is a long long time since we have been served anything other than breast meat in a restaurant! Again they apologised when they realised he too couldnt eat this and they replaced this saying it would most definitely be breast meat .... it was and the second time round the chicken was fine although very little of it now it was being served as breast meat!

We were surprised when we received the bill as despite the beef being inedible they had charged for it . I hadnt eaten more than half a piece of it!! We chose to simply pay the bill and leave and decided to put it down to experience and wouldnt be eating there again!

We were sorry we hadnt eaten that night in the much more busy real canoe a few doors down which was a different class when we dined there a couple of nights later

A shame as the encouragement of the waiter to get us into the restaurant just wasnt matched by the quality of the food - over promised and under delivered!

Reviewed May 3, 2011

We chose this restaurant because it was offering a good deal at 20 euros a head to include 1 bottle of wine per couple. The restaurant is on the same road up from the Pestana Grand as Real Canoa and 2 or 3 other restaurants.
Unfortunately when we started ordering from the menu it transpired that many of our choices were not available which was disappointing and we wondered whether this was because they didn’t want to provide these items under the deal they were offering or, worse, they simply didn’t have the items in stock. I know restaurants are having a hard time just now in Madeira so whether this one is suffering or not I don’t know.
As for the food, those having fish dishes said they were good and well cooked but the meat-eaters were disappointed with the espetada which was full of gristle and obviously a cheap cut.
Cutting corners and pulling fast ones with meal deal offers is not going to revive a restaurant’s flagging fortunes and it will be interesting to see if this one is still there next year. A shame because the staff were friendly and attentive and deserved better.
We did not return which is all I will say about our experience there.

Reviewed March 6, 2011

This restaurant was a real surprise. I have visited Portugal many times in the past and always found the food samey and dull. The culinary aspects of this trip started in the same vein and I didn't have any high hopes for any particularly good food. But our visit to Pedra and Sal changed all that. I asked for a variation of a pasta dish, which arrived perfectly cooked and just as I had asked for. My mother had a beautifully cooked dish of fish with prawns (she didn't ask for any variation but was very pleasantly surprised when it arrived). Service was slow, but it was definitely worth the wait - at least slow service means they are actually cooking it from fresh (I'm always suspicious of food that arrives too quickly, particularly from a long menu). This is without doubt the best food (within the price range) that I have ever had in Portugal or Madeira.