“Poor and pricey”
Review of O Vermelhinho

O Vermelhinho
Ranked #567 of 808 Restaurants in Funchal
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Visited for ice cream sundaes. Three sundaes and two cokes was €28.35.
Mine was on the menu as mango ice cream, which turned out to be strawberry and vanilla. Basically the sundaes were all the same ice cream with a different piece of fruit on top, according to the flavour you chose. I pointed this out to the waiter who became aggressive and rude with me. Live Music is played just next to the bar, and the bar gets busy due to its location along the front.
The sundaes were nothing to write home about; were pricey and the waiter rude. Not much to recommend it!

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (12)

Reviewed February 11, 2019

We stopped here just for a drink. I had just broken my back so I needed to sit down and we could managed to have two seats although it was a quarter to eleven. We asked for something without alcto me and we got two “Nikita’s”. Very good! When the wind blow away one of the drinks, we got one new for free. Fantastic!

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed October 2, 2018

Ready for a mid afternoon cup of coffee, my wife and I stopped at this harbourside cafe as it had a good location, and incidentally had a live pan pipe music show just opposite. I counted six staff members, and the place really wasn't very busy, yet it took ages for anyone to deem to come to serve us. Eventually a man with a permanent scowl on his face took our order for two coffees. A short while later he returned with our coffee and just said "five euros fifty". I paid up and he left. No smile, no greeting, no "thank you", no "enjoy", just the dour demand for payment. Such an unwelcoming place and miserable server, and almost double the price compared to an outstanding proper restaurant in the old town we visited earlier (3 euros for two coffees).

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank kevinbecken
Reviewed September 7, 2018

Used this place as a "Local". Very friendly staff. Great service and banter with waiters who are very attentive. Food is freshly cooked and very tasty. They are happy to alter dishes (e.g. remove/add ingredients). Location in excellent and occasional live music.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed July 30, 2018 via mobile

1st day in Funchal. Wandered on the front and popped in for a drink.
Nice staff and atmosphere. Drinks a little pricey but it’s a seafront bar so what else would you expect.
We will be back.