With two children (aged 9 and 11) we prefer the flexibility of a self catering holiday home above staying in a hotel. In view of this, for our summer holiday on Madeira earlier this month, we rented a villa at Palheiro Village ... and we couldn't have made a better choice. As a matter of fact, we got a spacious, clean, cosy furnished self catering holiday home equipped to a very high standard ... as well as some hotel services (regular cleaning, fresh bed linen and towels) ... which was the perfect combination for us.
In addition, I may not forget to mention
- the stunning views over the Atlantic Ocean and Funchal from the villa terrace and balconies.
- the Palheiro Village pool complex which was perfect for our two girls : good size, never too crowded.
- the Golf Club House where we enjoyed dinner twice during our stay.
- the welcome food package (... to avoid having to run to a food store immediately upon arrival) which even included some specific requests from our two girls.
I also recommend to rent a car when staying at the Palheiro Village ... to conquer the steep roads in the Palheiro Village (... rewarding you with the stunning views)... but mainly because it gives you full flexibility to go everywhere at whatever time ... and return afterwards to the luxury and quietness of the Palheiro Village :
- picking up food supplies
- enjoying dinner in Funchal (... good parking facilities)
- visiting, as we did, lots of places on Madeira : of course Funchal, but also Monte, Cabo Girao, the Sao Lourenço peninsula, Pico Ruivo, Santana, Porto Moniz, Curral das Freiras, Aqua Park in Santa Cruz, Machico sand beach, ...)
Once used to the steep roads, I experienced driving a car on Madeira not such a nervous activity than what I am used to in most (urban) areas on the European continent.
Summarized, I recommend the Palheiro Village to everyone visiting Madeira ... and, if we return one day, we will certainly stay at the Palheiro Village.
Geert Eeckeloo - Aartrijke - Belgium.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Palheiro Village is situated within the 120 hectare former hunting estate "The Palheiro Estate". The Palheiro Village offers 48 exclusively built and furnished apartments and villas. The superb sea views and panoramic views over Funchal make this the ideal holiday destination for the single traveller or families and friends. On the Estate you will find two restaurants, a tea house and an 18 hole golf course,a tennis court, a newly built spa and a sub-tropical garden. A hire car is advisable for the property. Public transport into Funchal is just outside the front door. Welcome to the Palheiro Village. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Palheiro Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palheiro Village Hotel Funchal
- Palheiro Village Madeira/Funchal