So glad we booked Appt 11,Palheiro Gardens, with Holiday Rentals Madeira for our first visit to this lovely island! From the moment we landed at Funchal airport on 24th June(that run way is something else!!!),everything exceeded our expectations. Our appartment was identical to the pictures on the website(you become cynical about such things and don't expect it!),so we did have the spectacular view over Funchal as well as the spacious, luxury accomodation that was promised!
The Palheiro Village facilities were outstanding, the pool area was really special, our son and daughter had a lovely spa day, we popped into the golf club for a BBQ(and were made very welcome!).The family games room is a great idea, not that we used it, never had any spare time! We picked up our hire car from the airport and I would suggest that this is an essential ingredient for your holiday(as long as someone has nerves of steel for driving up the mountain roads).We were able to pick up groceries from a couple of really good local supermarkets(which had great supplies of fresh veg,bread ,meat and fish), but it also meant that we were able to tour the whole island and visit Funchal most evenings(once we sussed out the parking, loads of free spaces underground,below the shopping malls). We loved the Zona Vela(Old Town) and despite what people say about the restauranteurs harassing you for your custom, most of them are highly entertaining, very friendly and welcoming! We struck up quite a banter with them and thoroughly enjoyed the experience of deciding where to eat each night(good value, great quality,excellent service).We didn't have afternoon tea at Reids(why would you pay £32 for a few finger sandwiches and a scone!!!) and we did visit the Casino, but wouldn't recommend you bother(smokey,tacky, slot machine arcade,urghh). Did an evening trip on a catamaran and saw loads of dolphins, did the toboggan ride down from Monte, well worth doing both.
Our holiday tip is don't be fooled by the clouds! Several others have commented, they obviously didn't discover that if you got into your hire car with a picnic and drove up into the mountains for 10 minutes, you'd find blue skies, brilliant sunshine, awesome views(above the clouds),stunning walks,secluded picnic areas(one day we bought a bbq chicken and home baked garlic bread from the roadside stalls,which made a delicious lunch). Thanks to Amr and Ricardo at Holiday Rental Madeira for making our stay so memorable..we'll be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With a wide choice of Luxury Villas and Apartments we are able to offer you a home away from home at very reasonable prices with excellent conditions. Additionaly, our guests are entitled to a great selection of facilities and services at discounted prices. Located on a prime hilltop site overlooking Funchal, the 120 hectare Palheiro Estate has grown from an early 19th century hunting lodge and summer retreat for nobility into a sophisticated resort destination. It is important to remember that renting a holiday home in Madeira differs from reserving a hotel room or bed & breakfast. The advantages of renting a property at Palheiro Village allow our guests to enjoy privacy and flexibility within a luxury property offering unsurpassed views. Many of our guests find that renting a holiday home provides them with exceptional value and freedom. All of our fully furnished and very well equipped properties will surpass all your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you to your home away from home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Palheiro Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palheiro Village Hotel Funchal
- Palheiro Village Madeira/Funchal