Pestana Promenade
$101
$145
$113
Priceline
Hotel The Cliff Bay(Funchal)
$353
Pestana Hotel Group
$114
Pestana Hotel Group
  • Pool
Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa(Funchal)
$157
$317
$308
Travelocity
1,928 results
All reviewsocean resortsea viewpool areadeck barlovely hotelthe air conditioningbus stopplenty of sunbedstime sharelocal restaurantsthe ground floorsuperior roomplenty of choicehappy hoursun loungersforum shopping centrehalf board
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 14, 2010

I have just returned from a 9 day trip at the Pestana Promenade and this is the first time I write a review on Tripadvisor, so I normally don't do this, but I thought I'd like to share my impressions. Before going I had a look at the reviews here and at the hotel website. I have to say that the pictures from the website are fully accurate - the hotel is new, modern, stylish and very clean and the positive reviews here are fully justified.

I had a room on the 3rd floor with an excellent view of the ocean. The room was spacious, nice and modern and with a small kitchenette section. The kitchenette had everything you would need to make your own meal and it was nice that I could make myself a cup of coffee in the morning and look out at the endless ocean. There was a nice aircondition also which made the room very pleasant to return to after a hot day exploring

The breakfast was also very nice, a wide selection of both warm and cold choices, nice juices and plenty of fruit - in short what you would expect from an upscale hotel. There is also a nice terrace by the restaurant overlooking the sea and it was nice to sit there enjoying the seabreeze alongst with the breakfast. A small but nice touch was also that the hotel provides a printed newsletter free of charge with the main news from the country you come from, be that UK, Germany or Russia etc which is nice to read whilst enjoying your breakfast.

The hotel staff is very accesible, professional and friendly and I appreciated that I could borrow a network cable to supplement the free and excellent internet connection as my wireless signal in the room was not that strong. Unlike say at 5 star hotels you feel that you could mind your own business also without staff monitoring your every miove, but if anything was needed help is quickly available . I was not charged for my internet and I hope that the hotel will not recharge this as in the past, as it is something that is very nice to have access to when traveling and you'd expect a hotel of this class to provide for free. Also there were 53 tv-channels available with all the main UK and German channels - very nice

What else, well - the hotel to it's credit is very quiet also something which is very important to me. I came mainly to relax and spent a lot of time at the hotel and it is easy to find a quiet spot where you can relax with a good book. There are no loud discos on the ground or in the area and the clientele seems to be mostly middle aged, even if there was also a few familes which provided for a nice and quiet environment. There were plenty of people in the pool area, but in no way did the noises from here feel disturbing - you could say it was even cozy :) The location appears to be in one of the historical wealthier sections of Funchal - a quiet neigbourhood with many classy hotels that are perched on cliffs facing the sea.

In short, I had a very relaxing time and enjoyed my stay very much. It was my first time on Madeira and the island was a very positive experience. It is very lush, green with flowers everywhere as well as with to my surprise many tropical plants likes palms and banana plants. Monte Palace is a really nice botanical garden where you can see some examples of this lushness.

Everybody is also very friendly and courteous - all cars stop if you need to cross the street for example - and the price level is very agreeable also. You can easily get a nice beer for 2 EUR for example or a nice meal for say 15-20 EUR. Also, everybody seems to speak great english which makes it easy for a tourist. If your aim is to go a quiet nice place with a seabreeze and nice green landscapes, Madeira is just the place. It is very classy and whilst tourism obviously is important, it gives the impression of catering for a more mature, wealthier audience - eg. there are not that many shades of masstourism here where you can not go for a quiet walk without being solicited for example

Some final words on the location of the hotel. It is admittedly a bit far from Funchal, easily a 30-40 minute walk on a rather steep road, but I guess this is the 'price' to be paid for the very nice and somewhat secluded location of the hotel. Walking into Funchal can be a bit tiresome if it is hot, but there are plenty of buses nearby(even if I didn't use them). A small tip, if you turn left there is a nice shopping mall that also has a cinema - and if you don't feel like going out to eat every night to eat, there is also a nice supermaket very close by with a buffet where you can make your own takeaway for a reasonable price. I didn't find Funchal(forgive me) that interesting to justify several repeat visits, so if you mainly want to relax, the area near the hotel has plenty of shops and restaurants you can also frequent if you want a meal or say buy a newspaper. However, if you do go into Funchal, just before entering the city at the roundabout(I believe at the KPMG building), if you turn left there is another big and modern mall where there is also a Burger King, if that is your thing :)

All in all looking back, this was one of the best vacations I've ever been on. Madeira was a very positive revelation to me and I am pretty sure I will return again - and when I do, I will return to the Pestana Promenade - it was just what I was looking for

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
PestanaPromenade, Front Office Manager at Pestana Promenade, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed and complimenting review of your stay with us at Pestana Promenade Hotel. It was with great pleasure that I learned that this was one of the best vacations you've ever had and that you will return again.
We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed the service, the Breakfast, the and facilities of the hotel as well as the amazing view in your room.

I am most grateful that you have taken the time to acknowledge the efforts of our team members and it is always with pride that I personally recognize their efforts to exceed expectations and provide a truly personalized service on all occasions. Thank you for offering this feedback.

Once again, thank you for your time in reviewing Pestana Promenade Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel.

Reviewed July 9, 2010

Booked on strength of positive reviews on Tripadvisor and was not disappointed.
Right on the ocean toward the far end of the Lido hotels.Easy access to Funchal by local bus that stops opposite and on foot along the promenade at least some of the way.
The hotel is lovely and really good value for money with many of the features attracting extra charge from other hotels being free.
The rooms are spacious and immaculately clean and the maid service of very high quality. All of the staff team are dedicated to making the most of the stay and all present with a cheerful smile and an attitude that nothing is too much trouble. Very refreshing in these corporate days to fing a chain hotel with an individualised response to each guest.
Minor gripes would be the lack of a courtesy bus and the lack of tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms. Breakfast was plentiful and varied to cater to most tastes and the themed buffets in the evening were entertaining and good value.
Outdoor and indoor pools,spa and gym and a welcome lack of young children make for a relaxing stay !
Madeira is a lovely island and the fall in toursim has engendered many good value deals while you are there.
Would recommend the hotel highly.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
PestanaPromenade, Front Office Manager at Pestana Promenade, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2010

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for sharing your feedback about your recent stay in Pestana Promenade Hotel
I'm so glad that you had a lovely time and I hope we will be able to exceed your expectations during future visits.
With regards to the shuttle bus the hotel doesn´t have that service but we are only 20 minutes walking distance from Funchal, and there is
Public bus transportation every 7 minutes to the Town Center. For any future stays you may have with us, do contact our Reservations team for any requests such as rooms with coffee & tea making facilities (only available in the some superior rooms) I trust that they will do their best to try and accommodate your needs. Thank you also for your comments, on our staff. All of our associates try their hardest to ensure that our guests receive friendly and helpful service and we are certain that they will be pleased to hear that you have recognised their efforts.
On behalf of Pestana Promenade, thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2010

Very relaxing hotel with incredible swimming pools surronded by an amazing sea view. The staff is amazing and makes you feel at home.
Rooms are confortable and with space (dont' miss the jacuzzi at your your flat balcony).

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing the experiences with other travellers and it is always great to hear such positive comments. I am delighted that the service provided by our teams met your expectations and most importantly, they were able to assist you throughout your stay.
On behalf of Pestana Promenade, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you and your back again soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2010

We stayed for 8 nights in June, our second visit to the Pestana Promenade. We have found this hotel to be a great place to relax with plenty of space by the pool area (no fighting for the sunbeds) and clear of any major roads or traffic noise. The location suits us as it is a bit of a walk into the centre of Funchal (30-35 minutes to work up an appetite) though there is a convenient bus stop a few hundred metres from the hotel. There are plenty of reasonable restaurants and bars nearby and the promenade passes directly in front of the hotel. This makes the walk to restaurants or the nearby shopping centre an easy experience. The rooms are spacious and my only small gripe was that the hotel rooms don't have any tea or coffee making facilities. On our first visit we had been placed in one of the timeshare rooms and had a small kitchenette. Not realising there was any difference we had expected a kettle this time. Waking up and having a morning cuppa on the balcony, overlooking the sea, is a great way to start the day. When we asked about getting a kettle, reception politely told us of the different rooms and facilities so we nipped out and bought a cheap travel kettle.
The breakfast bar had plenty of choice and was kept re-stocked. We found all the staff pleasant and helpful.
If anyone is considering an organised tour, we would recommend Strawberry World. We visited the West and East side of the island for a very reasonable price with an informative guide.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for choosing to return to us for your second visit.
I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences at our hotel with other travellers. My team and I really appreciate you taking the time to share such positive comments. It's fantastic to hear that you had a great time with us.

Reviewed June 25, 2010

The Promenade is certainly a lovely looking hotel which is very clean and tidy. The pool area is very nice although the sun loungers are very squashed together and smoking seems a popular past time of many guests. Unfortunately, there are no designated non-smoking areas, meaning sunbathing with tobacco smoke wafting over you is a familiar experience.

As other reviewers have mentioned the hotel rooms are very nicely decorated. It would be nice to have tea and coffee making facilities. The hotel is eco friendly and therefore asks you to re-use your bath towels and only change them when necessary which, is reasonable. They also ask the same of the pool towels and ask that your leave them in the bath for the maid to change them whilst making up your room. Often our room did not get serviced until 3pm and therefore, we would either have no pool towel or have to chase round the hotel to find the maid and get them changed. It would be helpful if the hotel were to either supply you with two towels per person to allow one to dry/be changed or as many other hotels do, have a towel drop/collection area by the pool.

The breakfast is plentiful, although the hot food was not always hot. The staff with the exception of Cristina, were generally not as helpful as we have experienced in other Countries. However, from our observations outside of the hotel this seems to be a cultural trait rather than the hotel specifically.

One thing to be careful of, when ordering drinks from the bar, on the one occasion that we did not leave a tip which was for a small drinks order we later realised that a tip had been added on. We only realised this after we had checked out and were reading the receipt at the airport.

Although this is one of the higher rated hotels in Funchal, it just seemed very mediocre. It does not do anything that anything other 4* does. In fact it is lacking certain extras, for instance a courtesy bus into Funchal would be nice as other hotels in the area offer this service and further, the constant barrage of timeshare tours does tend to be tiresome therefore, I would not return.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank cagster1980
PestanaPromenade, Front Office Manager at Pestana Promenade, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent visit to Pestana Promenade. I was of course concerned to learn that you have been left to feel disappointed by certain points during your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations. We greatly value all guest feedback, both positive and constructive, and I appreciate this opportunity to be able to address your comments in response to your TripAdvisor review. Our F&B Manager and Executive Housekeeper has been informed of your comments and will work on resolving the issues, we are only sorry that you had to experience them on your stay. It was most alarming to read that that a tip had been added on to your bill, may I please reassure you that this is being fully investigated, and if you please have eny more details about this incident I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to better understand what happened by contacting me directly. I was particularly surprised to read your comments with regards to our staff as we usually receive consistently positive comments. Our main aim at the Pestana Promenade Hotel is to ensure the best holiday experience for all our guests, and your constructive comments will help us improve our services even more.
I certainly regret that your recent experience at our has left you feeling disappointed and I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in our service standards.

I look forward to the possibility of welcoming you back to our Hotel and I am certain we will be able to redeem ourselves on the next occasion.