A beautiful large modern hotel situated among a clutch of similar good class hotels. The area caters mainly for tourists and although it is has everything you need, with lovely views, lacks the charm of older Funchal.
The hotel is immaculately maintained with great facilities, beautiful grounds and friendly staff. It is probably one of the best options in the town if you want a modern, stylish hotel.
The pool area is fantastic, with easy access to an attractive indoor pool if it turns chilly.We had a ground floor room facing the pool which we loved - although it did not have the great views out to sea of the higher rooms it had a patio leading straight out into the immaculate lawn and garden next to the pool, and had easy access to the restaurant and bar on the same floor. We could sit outside and enjoy the views from the pool area, then just wander back into the room. As mentioned in other reviews you may have to wait some time for the lifts at busy times so this is a plus. the room was a good size, well equipped and comfortable, with nice bathroom and good shower.
The breakfast was a good buffet with plenty of choice. You could either have it in the large dining area or carry it out to the terrace overlooking the sea. We only ate once in the hotel restaurant in the evening as we like trying different options and are not too keen on buffet dinners. There was a small a la carte restaurant but we did not try it.
There are some good restaurant choices within walking distance down the Promenade, all reasonably priced. We particularly liked Il Basilico, we had three fantastic meals there and could not fault them.
The walk to the centre of the town is a pleasant one most of the way and takes about 40 mins, not rushing.There is a hill coming back so if you do not enjoy walking, as we do, it may be better to take a taxi or bus. Both are easily available next to the hotel and in town.
We had a hire car and managed to find free parking in the streets next to the hotel every day, so did not have to pay the parking fees.
Although I hate to give a negative, as we enjoyed our stay so much, the only downside for us was that after about 9.30/ 10pm the hotel was quite deserted, with only the odd couple lingering. This was a shame as it is such an attractive setting at night, with the pool nicely lit and a lovely bar area to sit in. We did however visit outside peak holiday season. We are not party animals or big drinkers, but found ourselves going down to the old town some evenings for a bit more socialising, or to the White House for a more pub like atmosphere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pestana Promenade is a 4-star hotel in Funchal, Madeira and is one of the newest and most sophisticated contemporary hotels in Funchal. It is 2 minutes on foot from the beach and near Lido with direct access to the promenade that stretches all the way to Praia Formosa. Take a stroll through the vast garden area and discover one of the largest swimming pools of all of the hotels on Madeira. Visit the Spa with indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, whirlpool bath, sauna, Turkish bath and gym. It offers two restaurants and a bar. Most rooms offer a relaxing view of the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Expedia, PESTANA MANAGEMENT - Servicos de Gestao S.A., getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your Pestana Promenade reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort
- Pestana Promenade Madeira/Funchal