We visited the Pestana Promenade Hotel in June 2013 (got back yesterday) so this review is fresh in my mind. I try to be fair to ensure that the reader can make decisions based on a review which is as impartial as possible.
The Hotel is generally of a high standard and staff try hard to be helpful. Food at breakfast is good quality but the restaurant is small so breakfast can be a difficult time around 8:30 to 9:30. We did not eat evening meals at the restaurant because we found that we could get good food at local restaurants cheaper. We came in from an evening out to get a drink from the bar at 11:35p.m only to be told it was closed (go to the bar down the promenade called Number 2 which is open til later).
Downsides are that the woodwork outside the restaurant could do with some fresh stain to freshen it up and they have some 'beds' to relax on outside the restaurant and in the bar area which could do with a good clean.
The rooms are of a high standard but again the settee in our room had grubby cloth. Otherwise the cleanliness is good.
Location is a fair way out of Funchal and a taxi costs around 7 Euros to the centre or a reasonable walk for able people (about 30 - 40 mins). This area is very hilly so expect some climbing of hills.
This group have some kind of club in operation called 'Pestana Options' which we experienced when we received a note under our door inviting us to pre-dinner drinks. This turned out to be a selling opportunity for the local Brummy salesman (Jack). They also bring people round to view the hotel during the day (a bit off-putting when you are trying to relax and people are taking photographs etc).
I booked a seaview room and was given a ground floor room which smelled of stale cigarette smoke and air freshener (my wife and I are non-smokers) but they changed it for a first floor room but I would advise booking a high floor in advance.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pestana Promenade is a 4-star hotel in Funchal, Madeira and is one of the newest and most sophisticated contemporary hotels in Funchal. It is 2 minutes on foot from the beach and near Lido with direct access to the promenade that stretches all the way to Praia Formosa. Take a stroll through the vast garden area and discover one of the largest swimming pools of all of the hotels on Madeira. Visit the Spa with indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, whirlpool bath, sauna, Turkish bath and gym. It offers two restaurants and a bar. Most rooms offer a relaxing view of the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Orbitz and Evoline ltd so you can book your Pestana Promenade reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort
- Pestana Promenade Madeira/Funchal