What a lovely week we had in Funchal at The Vine. From our arrival we were treated with VIP treatment and the hotel is stunning and certainly delivered and looked just like the website. The rooms were really lovely, just a few issues with the shower leaking a little but the bed was amazing and we slept very well. We were disapointed to see that we didnt have an Nespresso machine in the room, even after requesting one we didnt get a machine but was never explained why. Our mini bar never got topped up either which when you have to request water every night gets quite teadious.
The pool and sunbeds were great and very relaxing with lovely fluffy towels daily. Service at the bar and restaurant could have been faster, especially happy hour when every body in the hotel wanted a cocktail and with 1-2 bar personel they struggled to give the great service this hotel deserves to give. The prices for drinks were very expensive also with a GnT being nearly 10 Euros, you do expect better service. However the bar personel and also the waiters were nothing but professional and very friendly especially Bruno who gave us exceptional service. The food in the restaurant was a bit pretentious and we only ate in there once. The food was well cooked but none of the staff knew what they were serving which was a shame as the chocolate souffle was one of the best I had eaten in a long time.
To get good local food go to the local restaurants in The Old Town where its cheaper and fresh local daily fish is served alongside great polenta and fresh vegetables.
The inclusive breakfast was OK, a good selection, however the cooked food was always warm/cold and we always had to wait for fried eggs, which is annoying. Waiting for a pot of coffee was also frustrating when it could have been available to get from a machine if it was available. The breakfast was the same every day pretty much also, which if staying for 2 weeks would have got a bit boring. Would be nice to be offered an omlette, porridge or poached eggs for a change. The homemade jam was lovely though and a nice touch was offering champagne in the morning to start your day off well.
Overall we would recommend the hotel and the area for a great relaxing holiday. We didnt want to leave and will for sure be back for the wine festival.
Funchal is great and a brilliant spot for a holiday and we recommend the wine tasting and the catamaran trip. The local market is also a great find, but beware of the fruit sellers who are great sales people!! The Ritz Saturday night buffet and caberet is a must and a very funny night. Also check out the number 1 Tripadvisor restaurant which has great food but make sure you book. The Fort is also good for dinner and Riso has great views.
Wifi very slow so choose a time when its not so busy to download emails and make sure you stay near the courtyard and a high floor as there is lots of building work going on around the town and can be very noisy.
Overall we couldnt complain for our relaxing week we had at The Vine and would recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A hotel with soul, just like a good wine. The Vine is sophisticated and luxurious. With a touch of simplicity and discretion, just the way you like it. A dip in the panoramic pool, a vino-therapy session in the spa or a gourmet dinner with a view over the city: these are just a few of the pleasures awaiting you at The Vine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, HostelWorld, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Vine Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Vine, a Divine Hotel Hotel Funchal
- Vine a Divine Funchal
- The Vine Hotel Madeira/Funchal