1. very good start - we were early and our room wasnt ready but we were given a drinks voucher for the pool bar where we were able to wait for our room and personally escorted there by Charles who made us feel very welcome.
2. Beautiful hotel, original design which reminded us of boutique hotels in Barcelona and nice choice of colour scheme. Visual design is excellent in all areas.
3. Lovely food and drink at breakfast, pool bar and in the Uva restaurant which we visited on our last evening.
4. Lovely waterfall shower
5. Ten free drinks in the mini bar including two beers
Areas for improvement:
1. Our no. 1 bugbear was the poor accommodation of technology in such a recently built hotel.
It could be improved by router based wifi login (which devices can remember) rather than internet login meaning that we had to login repeatedly during the day. More sockets positioned in convenient places are required in the room. It was incredible that in 2014 there were no sockets by the bed, we had to unplug the lamp to use the socket for charging phones etc.. Infact even if we had had no gadgets with us we would have had to unplug the lamp to plug in the rooms's nespresso machine! We did eventually find some additional sockets but they were in strange places such as in the safe or the drawer under the sink - not convenient and not pointed out to us by the porter that explained the room details.
2. Pettiness. The guy who showed us to our room laboured on the fact that we only got three nespresso capsules in the room rate and that anything else would have to be paid for. These things are really cheap to bulk buy and we have stayed in plenty of hotels in England where you can have as many refills as you want. I would rather the room rate was higher than have to barter over additional coffee. Also there was a note on the minibar telling us we couldnt store any of our items in it. I have stayed in hotels all over the world and never seen this before. I use bencol cholesterol reducing drinks and stored them in the mini bar and often came back to the room to find they had been lined up at the edge of the mini bar as if to make some sort of point.
3. Staff. Although most staff were friendly they didnt appear to have the ease I would expect from a 5 star hotel. My partner was told off at breakfast by a rather grumpy waiter called Marco for putting 2 slices of toast straight after each other in the toaster (apparently it causes the toaster to block - was she supposed to know that)? At the pool bar the staff struggled to remember the order of their queueing clients causing a few altercations.
All in all a very nice hotel with good potential. We hope they will listen to our suggestions and make improvements.
We chose this modern recently built hotel over more traditional hotels in the area becasue we wanted internet access in the room
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A hotel with soul, just like a good wine. The Vine is sophisticated and luxurious. With a touch of simplicity and discretion, just the way you like it. A dip in the panoramic pool, a vino-therapy session in the spa or a gourmet dinner with a view over the city: these are just a few of the pleasures awaiting you at The Vine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, HostelWorld, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Vine Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Vine, a Divine Hotel Hotel Funchal
- Vine a Divine Funchal
- The Vine Hotel Madeira/Funchal