“5 Star - Not Sure?”
Review of The Vine Hotel

The Vine Hotel
Ranked #15 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Just returned from a fantastic holiday in Funchal staying at The Vine. We chose this hotel because of its modernity - my husband absolutely loved it and I liked it very much. However for me there were a few little niggles which have already been mentioned by others I.e. the hair dryer, just not practical, the darkness when trying to apply makeup, the underbed ambiance lighting which didn't allow enough time to pop to the loo and back in the dark of the night, the toiletries which were not replenished until we actually left them on the side with the lids off ( a feat to get the lids off!) and the touch lighting overall - My husband confidentiality declared he had it all under control but it still took 10 minutes to get in bed and turn all the lights off each night! Facilities up on the roof terrace were challenging in terms of knowing what was a door and what was a mirror.

Now for the positives which were many:
great room good size and very comfortable bed and always well cleaned
Nice balcony which although looking over the street was interesting to people watch (would have been nice to have had 2 small chairs)
Fantastic location in terms of being able to stroll into Funchal
Excellent rooftop pool area and always able to get a sunbed with lovely big towels (pads on bed a little grubby, could do with updating)
happy hour from noon until 1pm and 6pm to 8pm for alcoholic drinks
Snack menu although limited and food a little fancy it was very tasty
Good breakfast, plenty of choice and good service
Decent cup of tea
Very helpful reception staff
Good Internet access

Apart from the little niggles mentioned above there was no doorman or porters and on the roof terrace I had to get the pads for the sunbeds out myself on a number of occasions. These things didn't really bother me but I would have expected these things to be be spot on in a 5 star hotel.

However overall would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 211 was a very good size and had a street view with a balcony. Not sure the rooms on the 5th fl...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shazlatt
Write a ReviewReviews (2,329)

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Duration : 7 days.
28.08-4.09

I have never left such a good feedback.
I have been working at ***** hotel for 4 years and I am sure this place will definitely meets ALL your expectations.
You can find there everything you need. Briliant service, perfect location , delicious meals, breathtaking views from terrace and very quiet rooms. There is a supermarket in the small shopping mall located beneath the hotel where you can buy lots of things in a very affordable prices.
Our room was absolutely outstanding, large ,attractively furnished and extremely clean.
The bathroom was massive and nicely appointed. I can recommend Junior Suite located in the back of the hotel for everyone who wants to admire a beautiful lighted Funchal during the night, even lying in a bed ( because of windows located in the front of the bed ). It was unforgettable view !
I attached the view from our room window.
I was completly satisfied and felt very good for the whole staying because of excellent atmosphere and very helpful staff.

I will visit Madeira within 2 years and I will definitely choose The Vine Hotel and if you consider your holidays in Madeira in Funchal, there is nothing to discuss. You must stay here !

Expression of thanks for all The Vine Hotel team and I hope I will see you soon again.

Peter

3  Thank Piotr O
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We spent in the Vine hotel 8 nights, and we had a wonderful time. We spent our honeymoon there and on our arrival a bottle of champange waited us on ice in our room, which was a very nice surprise from the hotel's management. We also got a bigger room than expected, which was fantastic.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank veghrics
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I spent two weeks in this centrally located 5 star hotel. We stayed in Room 506 with a lovely view of the sea. Very ultra modern room with glass walls separating the toilet, shower and bath areas - I was able to soak in the bath while watching the TV.
Holmes Place gym was accessed via the lift as was the shopping centre. Excellent and attentive staff.
Reids, the Ritz and lots of lovely restaurants are all within easy walking distance. We plan to return next Easter.
Anne and Gary Skerritt

3  Thank garyandanne
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Just got back from 1 week at the vine, check ok, man took us too our room 508 and showed us how to work everything, great view of Funchal and the sea. Twin room with shower, toiletries in shower were half full not new, windows in the room were so dirty I had to ask for them to be cleaned, bed and bedding ok, towels ok, had to ask for the robes, room very tired and worn marks on Walls and tables. Breakfast each morning was ok, pool area, some of the sun beds were very worn and plastic coming away at the sides which was sharp if you caught your leg on it , especially the one by the jacuzzi , the cushions were a little dirty, the jacuzzi was very cold and so was the pool, no problem getting a sun bed. The spa area was ok beds, steam room and jacuzzi which was only 31deg but the notice on the wall said it should be 34 deg it never was even though I did complain it then went to 32 deg.
The staff on reception were always very helpful and would print off bus time tables, find out what ever you wanted to know about your trips etc , they were 5 star, they even sorted out a taxi tour in a village after we got off the bus tour which was a great help as the bus did not go we're we wanted to go.
I would rate it as a 4 star, it just needs a bit of attention to the sunbeds, cushions and decorating etc to keep it up to the 5 star standard, as it is it will never make the leading hotels of the world list.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor overlooking the town. 508 was great
1  Thank bevgerrard
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Sure very expensive but very beautiful. Not a stereotype design hotel, very particular and personal. Nice time there. Enjoy the pool on the roof, with the better panorama of the city. Mountains and sea.

Room Tip: The suite are really exceptional, with bath in front of the windows, in the center of the room. A sm...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Francoisbouli
Reviewed September 4, 2013

A very modern hotel, we loved it. The rooms were lovely - we had an internal view over the shopping centre roof so no view to speak of, but that's ok: we weren't there to sit and admire a view. The service is excellent, rooms cleaned perfectly every day, breakfast was fantastic (lovely fresh OJ and loads of choice) and with a sensible closing time of 10:30 so our teenage daughter didn't have to get up at crack of dawn! The roof top is everything we thought it would be - very stylish and no problem getting a sunlounger. Drinks are pricey, but then hotels always are.The location is totally central so ideal for the great selection of restaurants and cafes, and the port, but there is no noise whatsoever from outside when in your room. My only small critisisms would be regarding the bathroom: the shampoo and shower gel were extremely difficult to get out of the bottles, the mirror was a bit too dark/tinted to do make up well, and the hairdryer is not very good. It's in a drawer under the sink, which would be ok if the wire would stretch, and if it wouldn't cut out on a regular basis due to it getting a bit hot!Otherwise - well worth a visit

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family