Just returned from a fantastic holiday in Funchal staying at The Vine. We chose this hotel because of its modernity - my husband absolutely loved it and I liked it very much. However for me there were a few little niggles which have already been mentioned by others I.e. the hair dryer, just not practical, the darkness when trying to apply makeup, the underbed ambiance lighting which didn't allow enough time to pop to the loo and back in the dark of the night, the toiletries which were not replenished until we actually left them on the side with the lids off ( a feat to get the lids off!) and the touch lighting overall - My husband confidentiality declared he had it all under control but it still took 10 minutes to get in bed and turn all the lights off each night! Facilities up on the roof terrace were challenging in terms of knowing what was a door and what was a mirror.
Now for the positives which were many:
great room good size and very comfortable bed and always well cleaned
Nice balcony which although looking over the street was interesting to people watch (would have been nice to have had 2 small chairs)
Fantastic location in terms of being able to stroll into Funchal
Excellent rooftop pool area and always able to get a sunbed with lovely big towels (pads on bed a little grubby, could do with updating)
happy hour from noon until 1pm and 6pm to 8pm for alcoholic drinks
Snack menu although limited and food a little fancy it was very tasty
Good breakfast, plenty of choice and good service
Decent cup of tea
Very helpful reception staff
Good Internet access
Apart from the little niggles mentioned above there was no doorman or porters and on the roof terrace I had to get the pads for the sunbeds out myself on a number of occasions. These things didn't really bother me but I would have expected these things to be be spot on in a 5 star hotel.
However overall would definitely recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A hotel with soul, just like a good wine. The Vine is sophisticated and luxurious. With a touch of simplicity and discretion, just the way you like it. A dip in the panoramic pool, a vino-therapy session in the spa or a gourmet dinner with a view over the city: these are just a few of the pleasures awaiting you at The Vine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, HostelWorld, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Vine Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Vine, a Divine Hotel Hotel Funchal
- Vine a Divine Funchal
- The Vine Hotel Madeira/Funchal