“Vine Hotel has many outstanding features”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Vine Hotel

The Vine Hotel
Ranked #20 of 87 Hotels in Funchal
Dublin
“Vine Hotel has many outstanding features”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Vine Hotel is architecturally first class and has great facilities all round particularly the rooftop pool area. Also, its reception team are about the most helpful and friendly I have ever met. I want to say a special thank you to Ana Marques in particular who was so helpful with email responses to queries in advance of my visit and gave us a lovely upgraded room on arrival and was so kind throughout our visit.

Breakfast was very good but service was slow for items ordered from the menu. However, the selection of foods on self service was faultless and of the highest quality.

The bedrooms are ultra modern and also of the highest standard. However, many elements in the room need closer attention from a comfort standpoint i.e. the night stand ledge beside the bed, a simple guide on how to manage the lighting system and the temperature of the fridge which was barely lower than lukewarm. Other housekeeping matters were stains on sideboard (which could easily be treated) and the toilet door which grated off the stone floor. But when we brought the door problem to the attention of the hotel it was fixed immediately.

The hotel location is superb but my greatest praise is reserved for the pool area on roof. It is simply outstanding and sunbathing there during our holiday was an infinite pleasure, what with the comfort of the day beds, the jacuzzi, infinity pool, ultra luxurious changing rooms and towels and of course the magnificent view.

The bar area off the lobby needs more comfortable seating and more atmosphere if it is to attract evening custom.

The two occasions we had dinner at Uma were a big disappointment, I fail to understand how this restaurant receives such good reviews and has a Michelin star. Service was anything but good but the food was amongst the worst I have ever had. But the lunches we had at the pool which would have come from the Uma kitchens were outstanding so its hard to reconcile the different standards between lunch and dinner.

The spa experience was also very good and a really fab jacuzzi.

All round a very good hotel but the food at Uma, the seating in the bar area and service at breakfast need urgent attention as they are negatively impacting on what is otherwise a very good hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Herts, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Fun to go to this 'funky' hotel for drinks and dinner. We were staying elsewhere.
Staff were all excellent and very friendly.

We went for the four course tasting menu at UVA. I made better choices than my wife and enjoyed dinner. Starter was excellent, but the later fish, meat and dessert courses lacked a little finesse if a michelin star is sought.

It's funny how by setting up expectations through the publicity I have scored 4 as I felt it didn't quite meet the offer. Whereas if they had positioned and piced the offer a bit lower I would have been pleasantly surprised and gone up to 5.

Overall a very pleasant evening. Good food, great location. Recommend a visit.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

We went here for dinner one evening. Lovely atmosphere and decor (not many other guests though) and friendly staff (albeit dressed in the bizarre corporate grey pyjama uniform).

Happy hour pre-dinner drinks are great.

Went for the degustation meal which was mixed. Some courses were overwhelmingly salty, and others just didn't "work" in terms of the flavours. We asked the sommellier to choose wines by the glass which were pretty mixed in terms of quaffability.

Would recommend "Beef and Wine" as a better, and lower priced alternative.

1 Thank mariemusicademy
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

The dismal lighting was the main problem.4 touch pads for all the room lights,-- take a torch to help see how to manoever the many variations--they were annoying. Reading difficult, most of the hotel is dimly lit.No dressing table, so I moved a small mirror by the window to use in the daylight hours to put on makeup.
Cobbled floor for all washing/toilet areas uncomfortable with bare feet.Shower 4ft .high from floor, can be hand held. Torrential strong water from above if wanted.
Street & traffic noise at times at night, even with the window closed.
No drawers in room. Some shelves in the wardrobe area. Wardrobe handles thin, so not easy to use. I hurt my nails more than once.
No kettle. Plug socket can be found.The safe is high up--so I had to climb onto a chair to use it.
On the positive side the room was a good size, clean with a comfortable bed.The window can be opened onto a small balcony.
The roof area with pool & jacussi is pleasant. No drinks were available when we stayed, even when many sun beds were in use.
It was surprising not to have written information of meal times, time to vacate room etc.
The staff were always helpful.
The hotel is more artstic than designed for ease of comfort.We wuold not return there

Room Tip: Away from road if possible
2 Thank sunflower186368
dorset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

absolutely loved our stay at this hotel, the bedroom was wonderful, huge bed, and lovely bath for two, really clean and all the attention we received was really special. The buffet breakfast was brilliant, i am allergic to many things so i was able to pick out the items i could eat, plenty of choice. had the swimming pool to ourselves as i think other people found it a bit cold, however it was only the initial entering of the pool that felt a bit cold, after swimming one length the water felt really good. Steam room and jacuzzi good also, all in all a brilliant holiday.

Vaucluse, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed at the Vine for 4 nights (Tue to Sat) on my first visit to Madeira. I was looking for a centrally located hotel, and the Vine fitted the bill. If I had been after rest and relaxation, I would have chosen one of the resort hotels, but I wanted to sightsee. Having read TripAdvisor reviews I was prepared for the Vine's quirks and didn't encounter major problems with the many touch buttons which were thoroughly explained to me on arrival. However, it's best to memorise which button does what since the writing is beginning to fade. I didn't flood the shower, either, because I kept my showers short. However, in case of an emergency, there is an alarm string you can pull, just don't forget to throw on the bathrobe before help arrives. Make use of the slippers if your feet can't handle the pebbly floor. I liked the fact that shower, toilet and basin were all separate. The only thing missing was a bathtub. My fridge was stocked with about 20 complimentary bottles of beer, coke, water, juice and iced tea. This made up for the lack of tea and coffee making facilities I normally cherish. I found my room's grey/black/white colour scheme rather appealing, the huge bed was divine and the easy chair a treat. There was an extra-long writing desk but no separate table, which meant that if you had wanted to dine in you'd be facing the wall while eating. While I was there the hotel was fairly quiet, and I enjoyed bustle-free breakfasts that offered a wide choice of fruits, breads, cereals etc. as well as a la carte eggs or omelettes and pancakes. The Vine has free WiFi as well as two terminals and a printer which is handy for printing out your boarding pass. I liked the layout of the lobby with its comfortable chairs, and I liked the rooftop terrace with it sweeping views and lounge chairs even better. I didn't try out the pool, but it looked inviting. If you don't have a car and don't want to spend EUR30-35 on a taxi from/to the airport, there are two Aerobus stops a 10-minute cobble-stoned walk away, no. 4 is uphill and no. 6 is on the Marine Parade opposite the TAP office. Stop no. 5 which would be much more convenient, is temporarily (or maybe permanently) out of service. Buses are not very frequent, and the hotel gave me an out-of-date timetable, so it's best to check at the bus stop itself, remembering that the times given are those of departure from the terminus which is about 10 to 15 minutes away. The drive to the airport from stop no. 6 takes 25 to 30 minutes, and the current cost is EUR5. On the way in, the bus driver might drop you closer to the hotel, I arrived late and was the only passenger, so I got a lift to the entrance of the shopping centre inside which the Vine is located. Otherwise I might have had a problem finding the hotel in the dark. Would I stay again? Not if I came for a 1 or 2-week R & R holiday. But otherwise most definitely. A hotel like the Vine, with polite and helpful staff, does not come along every day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Curitiba, PR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel wants to be elegant, but the staff are not prepared to this.
On check in we have to wait more than 90 minutes at the lobby to have our room ready
OK, sometimes problems happens. But you have be prepared to deal wit them. In this case the staff should have, at least, offered some compensation to their frustrated and tired guests. They don't offered even a coffee or a glass of water!!!!
It's clear that it's a lack of staff training. But a hotel that charges more than 300 euros for a room must have an efficient, warm and polite staff.
On the other hand, the rooms are very nice, clean and well decorated. We had a beautiful view of the mountains. There is a big bathtub inside, Breakfast it's only good.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the mountains.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple