“Really a divine hotel”
Review of The Vine Hotel

The Vine Hotel
Ranked #15 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed February 5, 2012

This hotel just impressed me! So peaceful, so classy, so well designed.

I spent a week in The Vine and the whole time I had feld like in a different world. The services, restaurant or spa were excellent as I expected but as I am a designer the strongest experience for me was the stunning design of this place. After I visited this hotel I understand why its designer was awarded for “Best Hotel Interior Design” at the European Property Award 2009. It has a great concept and style. I especially love the lighting design there – the underlighted bed or huge picture of vine above the bed created beautiful ambience in the room. The shower with a waterfall efect and a floor made from the little stones typical for Madeira (spot the pavements in Funchal) is great as well. You can feel the touch of nature in many details inside a modern building and that's the reason why I find it really special.

The bed was very comfortable and the bed-clothes so soft, I did't want to leave the bed every single morning...

The top of my visit - New Year's Eve party was one of the most memorable moments of my life. Delicious dinner with life music, fancy dresses, friends and...the best firework I have ever seen!! As we celebrated also on the roof terrase with the pool (and with a view over the city) we could see about 15 synchronized fireworks and few next even bigger ones all around... fantastic!

I think I will come back to Funchal in the summer and stay in The Vine again...

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank Andrea P
Write a ReviewReviews (2,334)

Reviewed January 23, 2012

I stayed here in July 2011 for 5 nights after my parents recommended it. I was travelling alone so decided to splash out a little as I knew I would be spending a bit more time than usual in the actual room.

On arrival the hotel looks like it is in a strange location as you have to go through the entrance of a shopping centre (which was to prove very handy) to get the the lift for the reception. I agree that the communal areas of the hotel are a little dark but that is more in keeping with the design element of the hotel.

My room was gorgeous! MASSIVE super king bed that I didn't want to get out of most mornings. The bathroom was open plan to the room but it had doors separating the toilet and shower. The sink was very funky and the mirrors around the sink were PERFECT for doing my hair (such a girl thing to say I know)...

There was a big flat screen TV and hidden wardrobes at either side of the bed as well as a mini fridge which I used to store stuff in more than for the items they sold (which were over-priced as they usually are with hotels).

A few people have commented on the electronic lighting system but once you got used to it, it was easy to use. Even the light coming on when you got up in the night wasn't really an issue.

The biggest downside to the room was the lack of plug sockets. Not being able to charge your phone by the bedside was odd!

Ok so...out of the room the hotel didn't disappoint either. The roof top pool is simply STUNNING! The loungers are so comfy (towels provided) and there are showers and toilets for changing etc if needed. One word of warning...be aware of sitting on the loungers closest to the glass walls. The sun reflecting off these made for some strange burned strips on my left leg and left arm!

I ate lunch at the roof top bar once (sushi) and it was amazing and reasonably priced. Most days I went for a wander and found somewhere near the hotel - and even popped down to the shopping centre food court one day. I also used the supermarket in the shopping centre for bottles of drinks, fruit and toiletries when needed etc.

The breakfast in the hotel was perfect! Cold food as well as hot food made to order, I sat outside each day. The staff could not have been more accomodating.

Also...one thing I am gutted I didn't find out until the last day. The spa in the basement is free to use (sauna, jacuzzi, steam room, relaxation room). I didn't book any treatments but spent an hour enjoying the facilities!

Also, a little restaurant tip...I found it on TripAdvisor and went on my last night. Armazem Do Sal. You do have to hunt a bit to find it. It isn't one for sitting outside really but the food is FAB! I wish I had gone more than once to be honest!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
14  Thank MullinsSE
Reviewed December 1, 2011

we have just returned from a week at the hotel,our first visit to funchal,the staff are wonderfull and nothing is too much trouble especially the waiting on staff,the uva restaurant was wonderfull and worth a visit,the prices were reasonable too,at lunch time try the sushi its fantastic.The rooftop pool and the views were great day and night,the spa is also great and take advantage of the free facillities down in the spa there were only ever two of us in there,a trip to the casino is good and very inexpensive to sit at the bar people watching.The fx bar is worth a look in as there is live music all weekend,they have the best pizzas ever.no kids which was great breakfast is buffett and made fresh to order which i find a real bonus,the lighting system is simple to use and the under bed light goes off after a minute or you con swith it off on the bedside panel.The shower is great with a waterfall effect.I will be returning as i found this hotel so calm and peacefull and a welcome break,it is quite central as well.take a one way trip on the cable car and come down in the whicker baskets its so funny you should try it,food everywhere is very reasonably priced and lots of choice.

Room Tip: choose a marina view room on the 4th or 5th floor
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Lynsey T
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Compact but beautifully laid out rooms, with at home comforts. Excellent service and facilities - Rooftop restaurant + pool. We stayed in Nov '10 and enjoyed every minute. The location of the hotel above a shopping centre sounds strange, but it's very convenient. Breakfast was all you could ask for and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. I'd love to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view if possible - some rooms face inland. We had a corner room with the best of b...
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AE007
Reviewed November 7, 2011

The Vine in Funchal can be found on top of the central shopping centre - very convenient for buying cheap booze and food in the basement supermarket and having a night in with a picnic in the tub in the middle of your bedroom whilst watching your flat screen in ambient sensor controlled lighting! Great hotel, fantastically quiet roof top infinity pool and spa, no kids in sight - hurrah! The included individually cooked to order breakfast is a bonus. UVA, the 3* Michelin restaurant on the roof is pricey but worth a visit; especially when Antoine Westermann, the head chef is in residence. An excellent central hotel - look out for special offers theough Secret Escapes or Voyage Prive.

5  Thank SueGwyer
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Booked a trip for my boyfriend to Madeira for a birthday treat and to visit some family.

I could not have picked a better hotel! And our stay was flawless!

Great value for money in comparision to some UK hotels I've stayed in - still not cheap but you get more than your money's worth.

We called ahead of arrival and the valet was on hand to take our car and bags. We went up to reception and we instantly overwhelmed. What an amazing hotel!

Check in was smooth, and we were escorted to our room - security very good - you can only access certain floors by swiping your room card - great idea - especially as the hotel is located on top of the Dolce Vita shopping mall.

We stayed in a junior suite, it was fabulous and very spacious! I had been very specific about the room - from the bathtub to the decor colour - and was very happy that this had all been noted and we got exactly what I had hoped for.

The bed was very comfortable, the oval bathtub at the end of the bed was the perfect way to relax, and the bathroom facilities were excellent. I can't possibly find words that really describe how fabulous our room was but this was 5* through and through! The lights worked by sensor and would come on as you walked through the room, and automatically go off when you got onto the bed. Loved the shower - the water came out like a waterfall out of the wall - and I even fell in love with the sink - which had a similar waterfall effect to the shower.

We spent the afternoon on the roof terrace - we were lucky to have hot sunny weather at the end of October - the pool was gorgeous, the day beds were ample and comfortable and the jacuzzi was just the right temperature for the weather.

The hotel had an exclusive feel which I was worried we might not have due to the location but I know now to have no concerns there.

We had dinner in the UVA restaurant - it was fabulous. We went straight for a main course because we didn't want to risk filling ourselves with a starter and not making the most of the main course, however the waiter brought us a small complimentary tasting platter to start, and I was so pleased that he did - three dishes I would never pick myself, but enjoyed immensely! The main courses exceeded expectations - they were sensational - not huge portions but they were just perfect.

I had the best night's sleep I think I have ever had in a hotel - the bed was very comfortable - a shame to have to get out of it.

Complimentary newspaper to the room - nice touch, unfortunately missed breakfast but also complimentary.

We checked out but were welcomed to spend the day using their facilities, which we decided we would do with no hesitation. We went straight back up to the terrace to bask in the sun.

We had lunch by the pool - and I had the best "ham & cheese toastie" ever!

We had let reception know approximately when we would depart and when we went down to reception they advised our car was already waiting for us - as much as I didn't want to leave this hotel, it was nice that doing so was not any hassle.

The staff throughout the hotel (reception, valet, restaurant, bar etc...) were so helpful and nothing was too much trouble - very friendly and they really ensured we had everything to make our stay exceptional.

I would recommend this hotel and can't wait to return.

Madeira wouldn't normally be our first holiday choice with friends (we only went because my boyfriend's family live there) - but since staying at the hotel, we've suggested to a couple of friends and trip there next year - will hopefully be back there soon!

Room Tip: Junior suites - well worth the extra money
7  Thank kilomo
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We stayed from the 20th to the 27th Oct. Service was good, breakfast plenty choice, rooms comfortable. A bit dark inside. On my birthday (60th) 22nd Oct I put my cards around our room. At 2200hrs a knock at our door, a bottle of Champagne in an ice bucket and a chocolate cake courtesy of the hotel. fantastic!!!!!

4  Thank kevinl1