My husband and I went for a short 4 night break - it was our first trip to Funchal. The trip was wonderful from start to finish, and while part of that is due to Funchal and Madeira being such a nice place to visit, the Melia Madeira Mare made it a perfect trip!
Before leaving I e-mailed the hotel about the spa and had a very helpful reply from Nati - she was there when we arrived and everyone on the front desk was smiling, helpful and friendly. This despite them being overwhelmed by a large tour group of Americans who were just checking in.
I booked the cheapest room, but it was large, well appointed, and immaculate. Despite the description saying mountain view, we could see the see just fine. Yes, there was some noise from cars in between our hotel and the next one along, but we did have our balcony door open at the time. Lovely flat screen tv, great bathroom with bath/shower, lots of towels, plenty of storage, mini bar fridge, small sitting area, desk, and safe. The bed was large, comfortable, and there were a selection of pillows. Certainly 1 of the nicest "standard" rooms we've ever had. At night there was turn-down with pillow chocolates too.
The hotel has a main buffet restaurant - which was magnificent - overlooking the pool; a pool bar/snack area for lunch, a lobby bar (though never used this) and a small a la carte restaurant adjoining the main buffet (did not use). We did half-bard which was great - lovely breakfast, with everything imaginable to choose from (yogurt, cereal, fruits, cheese and meats, eggs to order, bacon, etc etc) and a lovely buffet dinner as well with cook to order foods as well as varied selection. Again my husband thought it was the best buffet we have experienced.
My husband said the spa was wonderful, with chill out jacuzzis and a small but well equipped gym. There was also a marvellous indoor pool - which you might need in Madeira as showers can come and go.
The pool area was lovely - overlooking a promenade along the seafront, and when you sat there you did feel you were on the sea, as the pool is slightly elevated above this.
the staff were excellent - Nati at the front desk, Paulo in the restaurant, the pool man (he was there with your lounger cushion before you had chosen where to sit) and the pool bar staff all excellent.
The hotel is in the Lido area, about 5 minutes by cab into centre - lots of shops, bars and restaurants on your doorstep, though it is a bit hilly if you have mobility issues.
We were most impressed by a delivery of a half bottle of fizz and nibbles on my husband's birthday - we hadn't told them it was a birthday as far as I remember, so they must have noticed when they logged his passport at check-in.
The only thing I could even find that was not absolutely perfect was a broken hook on the bathroom door and the beginning of 1 or 2 springs in the bed going sideways, which I felt by chance on the side of the mattress - these are tiny things which did not affect my stay in any way, but might be helpful for the hotel to know about and give a bit of extra training to room cleaning staff to log even tiny things that need doing as and when they see them, so that they never see a complaint on this page ever.
We also loved the managers cocktail evening, which apparently is help every friday evening - free fizz, crisps and bar snacks - a nice way for you to meet the staff and a great way for the hotel to everyone is enjoying themselves. A very nice touch indeed!
All in all this hotel is FANTASTIC, staff are excellent, and we will definitely be going there again! Well done Melia Madeira Mare!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Melia Madeira is a modern and elegant five-star hotel with a contemporary design that will enhance the availability of quality accommodation options for both business and leisure travelers to Madeira Island. Overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and boasting magnificent sea views, the hotel is conveniently located a few meters of the sea, in close proximity to the small pebble beach, Gorgulho and offers direct access to the Oceanside promenade. The Resort offers free Wi-Fi in all rooms and public areas, an indoor and outdoor pool and a spa. Elegantly-furnished rooms offer a balcony and cable TV. Some rooms of Meliã Madeira Mare include scenic views of the Atlantic Ocean from the balcony. Many of the hotel’s rooms also have a sitting area.Guests can relax in the jacuzzi and sauna at Meliã Madeira Mare’s spa. Massage treatments and a steam bath are also offered.Free parking is available. Madeira International Airport is a 25-minute drive away. Meliã Madeira Mare is a 5-minute walk from the center of the city.Meliã Madeira Mare’s restaurant serves a breakfast buffet and themed buffets for dinner. A la Carte menu is also available. The hotel’s pool bar provides refreshing beverages and light snacks for lunch. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Prodigios Interactivos SA, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, HotelQuickly, Orbitz, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort And Spa
- Melia Madeira Mare Hotel Funchal
- Sol Melia Funchal
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa Funchal