My girlfriend and I stayed at the Melia in August 2014; having previously stayed at the CS Madeira Atlantic (now rebranded as the Vidamar Resort) the hotel had a tough act to follow but it did not disappoint in any way, shape or form.
We'd booked a standard room but on arrival we found that we had been upgraded to a sea-view room as it was our anniversary. Not only did we receive a complimentary upgrade, but we were treated to a bottle of champagne sent up to our room by hotel management. Our room was very well appointed; tasteful decor, huge bed (firm but comfortable), large bathroom, flat screen TV, mini-bar, safe and a fast (free) Wi-Fi connection.
In terms of facilities; the hotel wants for nothing, the free-form outdoor pool and sun lounger area are both excellent, though they do tend to get busy throughout the day. We found ourselves going for an early breakfast (eat on the terrace, nothing like breakfast in the open air) so we could get onto a decent couple of loungers. The hotel bars are great value with a huge range of drinks and the hotel serves excellent meals throughout the day. Breakfast and lunch were fabulous with a good range of dishes, though we didn't have an evening meal at the hotel as we have a set of favourite restaurants in Funchal that we like to visit. The evening dining experience did look very appetising and I would suggest it as a convenient option for those not wanting to eat locally.
The Malo Clinic Spa is amazing; a great range of treatments with the usual facilities one would expect of a five star resort (though these do attract an additional cost). We opted for a sports massage followed by afternoon tea, which included access to the Jacuzzi and steam room. The indoor pool and gym were free for guests to use; the former being well equipped with a range of weights and cardio machines.
The location is great, sat in the middle of the lido and a short walk from some great bars and restaurants. The hotel is served by a taxi rank pretty much on its doorstep so if you fancy a trip into the town centre then you're only a five minute ride away. Buses are also frequent, with the Yellow Bus Tours operating a hop-on-hop-off day pass.
I should also mention the very high standard of service at the hotel; all of the staff we met during our stay were very helpful, friendly and professional. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone, even when we asked the concierge to achieve the impossible and get us a last minute table at the Resaurante Do Forte (everyone needs to go there at least once - and you get picked up from your hotel in classic car). It’s this willingness of the staff to go the extra mile that speaks volumes.
Overall the Melia Madeira Mare is a brilliant hotel, a mixture of contemporary architecture and decor, alongside impeccable service from a team of people who seem very proud of their hotel. Staff with confidence in their brand? Now, that's a very rare thing indeed.
One final point; we booked with Jet2 Holidays, saved a fortune on the package compared to the larger tour operators and had great flights (Jet2 standard legroom was the most I've ever had on a charter flight).
I could wax lyrical about the hotel and Funchal all night; it's wonderful place to visit and I'm happy to answer any questions that anyone else may have - feel free to message me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Melia Madeira is a modern and elegant five-star hotel with a contemporary design that will enhance the availability of quality accommodation options for both business and leisure travelers to Madeira Island. Overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and boasting magnificent sea views, the hotel is conveniently located a few meters of the sea, in close proximity to the small pebble beach, Gorgulho and offers direct access to the Oceanside promenade. The Resort offers free Wi-Fi in all rooms and public areas, an indoor and outdoor pool and a spa. Elegantly-furnished rooms offer a balcony and cable TV. Some rooms of Meliã Madeira Mare include scenic views of the Atlantic Ocean from the balcony. Many of the hotel’s rooms also have a sitting area.Guests can relax in the jacuzzi and sauna at Meliã Madeira Mare’s spa. Massage treatments and a steam bath are also offered.Free parking is available. Madeira International Airport is a 25-minute drive away. Meliã Madeira Mare is a 5-minute walk from the center of the city.Meliã Madeira Mare’s restaurant serves a breakfast buffet and themed buffets for dinner. A la Carte menu is also available. The hotel’s pool bar provides refreshing beverages and light snacks for lunch. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Prodigios Interactivos SA, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, TravelUp, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort And Spa
- Melia Madeira Mare Hotel Funchal
- Sol Melia Funchal
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa Funchal