“September week for 2” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“September week for 2”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The service was excellent throughout our stay with the rooms as expected in a clean and modern hotel. The pool was clean and well staffed, and there was never over crowding or a struggle to get a spot whenever we turned up. We only stayed B&B as there are so many restaurant choices near by and around funchal.

Room Tip: we had a standard room on floor 3 which had a sea view - most have a partial view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Joe L
TinaNobrega, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Many thanks for sharing your positive review ... we're happy our services and facilities met with your expectations and hope to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.
With kind regards and best wishes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Roscrea, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

we wanted a trip to remember so we decided to spend extra on our hotel ,It was a fantastic place to stay ,on our arrival we found a bottle of champagne chilling in our room, every night our bed was turned back with chocolates on the pillows. We went on bed and breakfast basis , the food was fantastic so much to choose from. The staff were very helpful, Our room had air-conditioning which was very welcome as the weather was very warm, Room service was very reasonable .Overall a great experience

Room Tip: we asked for a sea view and got it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny M
TinaNobrega, Guest Experience Mngr & Marketing Exec at Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Firstly congratulations and thank you kindly for your preference in our Resort in which to celebrate your 30th wedding anniversary and for taking time to share your review on Tripadvisor!.

We're truly delighted we were able to create a memorable time for you both and wish you many more wonderful anniversaries - enjoying good health and lots of happiness always!.

Hope to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Spent three nights at the Melia Madeira Mare. Just loved our stay. They upgraded our room to Superior since it was our honeymoon. The rooms are fantastic and with a beautiful view of the ocean. Their breakfast is also quite exhaustive and really enjoyed the same.

The location of the hotel is 2 KMs away from the main Funchal city centre. However you will find a lot of highly rated restaurants right in front of the hotel. There are also a couple of Super markets across the road. There's also this restaurant Sabor da India in case you are looking for some vegetarian food.

Overall an excellent hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jeetshah17
Many thanks for your preference in our Resort during your honeymoon and for sharing your review on Tripadvisor.

We're pleased we were able to create a memorable experience for you and wish you both lots of health and happiness always!.

We hope to welcome you back again in the not too distant future !

manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Spent two weeks with my 18 year old son at this hotel and we didn't want to come home.Upon checking in I was introduced to Nati who was aware of my mobility problems and had made the relevant arrangements for me. We had to wait until after 1pm for check in which cannot be helped.
The hotel is so peaceful and spotlessly clean and situated in a good area. (On my motorbility scooter I got out and baoutand a few times went down to Funchal town).I was on the 3rd floor which due to limited mobility was very practical in getting from A to B.
In the morning after breakfast I went to the pool area and after the second day Anton and Hugo really took care of me. My sun bed was near the bar and toilet and they made sure that when I got there that therewere 4 towels on the bed for me to elevate my feet above heart level. And a chair was placed at the side of the sunbed for me to be able to hold on to it to get off the sun bed.

At the pool bar the staff are rushed off of their feet but always have a smile and are a good laugh. There is the "duo" Tomas and Philpe who are hilarous, Philpa (the only girl), Alberto,Duarte and Vitor. They all work so hard multi tasking but also try and keep the guest company if so required. And the few times that I ate at the pool bar and requested beetroot (raiz de beterraba) with my salad it was arranged asap.

We had breakfast daily in the the restaurant and Alpiho and Vera made my eggs from scratch whichever way I wanted them. (This had been agreed by the Chef via Nati).All the restaurant staff work very hard and I want to thank Carlo the restaurant manager and some of the staff that really stood out namely Carla, Sara,"Slick" and Monica(I may be wrong). Thank you for my decaf coffee in the mornings.

The reception staff work damn hard to and seem to do a million and one things at once. Thank you Paulo, Martim, Tania but especially Joao (who phoned the hospital pretending to be my son to see how I was doing) and the concierge Juan (who always rushed to open the door to let me out). On a few occasions in passing the General manager enquired about my well being. (thank you).

Tina as a Guest Co-ordinator who from the minute we met was always making sure I was ok. She phoned the hospital after a horrible experience I had and got me my 500 euro deposit back. Tina discussed with me where I planned to travel and was honest in saying that I shouldn't do it with my heart condition.

The rooms were kept spotless and the maid although she couldn't speak English well we always communicated.I had a pedicure with Sara in the Spa and I can honestly say it was the best pedicure I have ever had. And Bella on reception on the Spa was very helpful and sorted out a complaint I had on my last day.

The pool and bar staff made my son enjoy his holiday as he is like Count Dracula sleeping all day and up at night. But they had a laugh and a joke with him and he started coming out more and didn't want to go home. Infact he had holiday blues and wanted to stay another week.

The Melia Madeira Mare is a relaxing and clean hotel but it is the staff that are the SOUL of the place. Health permitting I will be back to celebrate Christmas and bring in the New Year at the Melia Mare.
So fellow travellers please if you visit the Melia Mare give the staff the respect that they deserve.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank dom125
Thank you ever so much for taking the time to share your detailed and very positive review on Tripadvisor.

As you can gather, we're all smiling very widely and feel truly delighted that you and your son had a memorable stay with us!

Your very kind comments have been shared internally with the entire team here and are very much appreciated; its feedback like yours that only serve to further motivate them to deliver on our brand service standards.

We hope you are feeling a lot better and look forward to welcoming you and your son back again in December !... Christmas in Madeira island has a very special and unique feeling ... the island becomes a "nativity" scene itself.... We're certain you will enjoy !!

Warmest regards and best wishes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

This has to be one of my favourite places I've ever been. The locals are extremely friendly and they take a lot of pride in their island. The hotel was beautiful and the excursions are well worth doing! I am definitely going to put this place down as somewhere I'd like to go again. I only thing I struggled with is the food but that's only because I have a dairy allergy.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for sharing your kind review on Tripadvisor. We're glad you had an enjoyable time with us and our lovely island!
We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future !
With kind regards and best wishes
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

A relatively new hotel owned by a Spaish hotel group. Lovely pool area with loungers and has sea views to die for!!!! Situated on the lido area of Funchal with lots of good, local restaurants nearby offreing international, Portugese, Italian, Indian, Asian, Arabic, Japanese and Chinese food. There is a lovely short coastal walk to a very modern shopping centre, the Forum with good shops such Zara, Massimo Dutti, Pull and Bear etc which also houses a food court for meals, a supermarket and cinema. There is excellent international caberet type entertainment every evening which is well worth visiting but drinks may be considered expensive. I love the Lido area as lots of locals also use the restaurants and facilities as well as international tourists which makes it feel very cosmopolitan. Local bus go to Funchal, Monte, Camara do Lobos and Ribeira Brava so you can explore independantly if you feel adventurous.

Room Tip: Ask for a room nearest to the sea.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
TinaNobrega, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear MJL1954

Thank you for sharing your review.

Happy to hear you enjoyed our beautiful ocean views !

We are very fortunate to be located on the oceanfront and in the heart of the tourist area in Funchal with access to the seaside promenade; and also within walking distance to shopping centres, restaurants and bars.

We hope to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Spent one week at the Melia Madeira Mare in August with my two teenage daughter's. From start to finish we enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The room was above expendations, we were upgraded to a suite which was lovely as we had a twin room also lounge with sofa bed for my younger daughter. Food both breakfast and evening meal was great with plenty to choose from.
This hotel is in a prime location about 20-25 minute walk from Funchal, or 15 minute walk in the opposite direction to the Forum shopping centre, with good shops and a cinema. Walk along the Lido in front of the hotel and you get the best sunset on the Island.
I am a very picky tourist, this was my first time to Madeira, I loved the Island and the hotel so much that I will be back very soon, my teenage daughter's loved it so much they can't wait to go back.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Potter4
TinaNobrega, Guest Experience Mngr & Marketing Exec at Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Many thanks for your great comments shared on Tripadvisor.

We're thrilled you and your family had such an enjoyable experience with us and that we were able to deliver on our brand standards !

Happy to hear you intend returning to our lovely island... we do have so much to see and do in a completely relaxed and safe environment...

Hope to be able to welcome you back to Meliá Madeira Mare during your next visit!.

Kind regards and Best wishes