My mother and I stayed when the hotel first opened, as I was living in Madeira at the time and we stayed there for my birthday. Since then revisted just for a couple of nights stay in March (on this trip to Madeira, stayed in 3 different hotels, Porto Santa Maria in town, Regency palace further out and this one, simply to see what the different hotels offered, you can see my reviews on these). We arrived at lunch time, after an internal flight from the Azores (see review on Royal Garden Hotel), the room was ready, I had requested a low floor as my mother has some disabilities but we were booked in a room on the 9th floor, there are 10 floors, been upgraded with a better view of the sea as we were returning guests. The room was lovely - two large single beds and very comfortable (a lot of hotels in Madiera the beds are firm, which I hate), there was a soft dhair, a table and hard chair and a large furnished balcony with 2 chairs and a table with a wonderful view of the sea (to the side of us was the Porto Mare hotel complex). There is a digital safe in the room, tea coffee making facilities (ice bucket, ice available on some floors), free wifi good in the room as well as the public areas. The bathroom is the reason why I have marked it an overall 4.5*, as although the bathroom was spotless, some areas looked a bit grubby with some marks, and the toilet door didn't shut fully the magnetic catch (I did report it), (don't worry no one can see you!, if you stay at the hotel you will know what i mean by that comment, as by the bath there is an interior window looking into the bedroom/vice a versa, but there is a blind on the other side.
Facilitiles indoor poor, jacuzzi (free), spa treatments, outdoor pool, lovely terrace lots of seating on different area. Evening entertainment. Outside the hotel you can get the number 6 bus into Funchal city centre (takes about 10/15 minutes depending on the traffic), or you can walk to the road above, Estrada Monumental for a more regular bus service. Taxi to the city is about 6-7 euros and is on a metre.
Food: we did eat in the restaurant, its small but the food was good, breakfast excellent and a very good choice of everything you could think of. I love the open kitchen area and had an omlette each morning freshly cooked. On the day we were due to leave for the airport, checkout I think was 12 noon, but I asked if it was possible to have the room until 2 pm, as we were leaving at 3 pm for the airport, and this was offered with no extra charge to us.
Had lunch in the bar on the day of heading to the airport, we had a tropical salad and a pizza and wow....fab...what else can one say!
All staff very friendly and luggage is taken to the room.
Would I stay here again...yes I would as overall its a fab hotel and next time hope to use the spa facilities.
I travelled with my mother but have marked it as friends as there isn't a suitable option
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Melia Madeira is a modern and elegant five-star hotel with a contemporary design that will enhance the availability of quality accommodation options for both business and leisure travelers to Madeira Island. Overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and boasting magnificent sea views, the hotel is conveniently located a few meters of the sea, in close proximity to the small pebble beach, Gorgulho and offers direct access to the Oceanside promenade. The Resort offers free Wi-Fi in all rooms and public areas, an indoor and outdoor pool and a spa. Elegantly-furnished rooms offer a balcony and cable TV. Some rooms of Meliã Madeira Mare include scenic views of the Atlantic Ocean from the balcony. Many of the hotel’s rooms also have a sitting area.Guests can relax in the jacuzzi and sauna at Meliã Madeira Mare’s spa. Massage treatments and a steam bath are also offered.Free parking is available. Madeira International Airport is a 25-minute drive away. Meliã Madeira Mare is a 5-minute walk from the center of the city.Meliã Madeira Mare’s restaurant serves a breakfast buffet and themed buffets for dinner. A la Carte menu is also available. The hotel’s pool bar provides refreshing beverages and light snacks for lunch. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Prestigia and Travelocity so you can book your Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort And Spa
- Melia Madeira Mare Hotel Funchal
- Sol Melia Funchal
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa Funchal