“Something different but something special”
Review of Beef & Wines

Beef & Wines
Reserve with
Beef & Wines is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 619 Restaurants in Funchal
Cuisines: Portuguese, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Born and raised in Funchal, Madeira Island, the Beef and Wines offers a new gastronomic experience where the best New Zealand´s meat joins Portugal top wines.
Edinburgh
“Something different but something special”
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We were recommended to try this place and told to take the speciality of the house. Next time I go there we will not have a starter as the speciality is 4 thick cuts of beef on a long roasting spear. They bring this to your table and cut off thin slices then return as often as you want with more slices. They offer several supporting vegetable dishes etc. The dish is finished off with slices of hot pineapple with cinnamon. The staff were wonderful and made the whole experience even better. The wine list is massive but my waiter helped us pick a very tasty wine but not expensive.

This is well worth a visit I am sure you will not be disappointed.

1 Thank Rannoch2

• Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
“I think they'd serve you the whole cow if you could eat it - and it would be worth trying!”
Reviewed March 4, 2011

We visited a week or so ago and would gladly go again.
The restaurant is decorated around the theme of beef and wines. More modern than elegant; clean and uncluttered with ample space between tables.
My partner ordered the house speciality beef while I ordered cod. While waiting, some starters were brought over. Even though it was not explicitly stated that they had to be paid for, they were kind of offered instead of being directly put on the table and I already expected these were not 'on the house' (it seems to be the norm on the island). In all honesty, this was fairly standard fare.
I cannot say either that I was particularly impressed by my cod, even if it was a large portion.
My partners beef, however, more than made up for it. The portion is not large - it's more an all you can eat offer - and as my partner did not want as much as they expected her to eat, they offered plenty of it to me. This was a real plus point in my view as not something I would expect in many places and very welcome as it was really, really good beef.
There's a fish restaurant in the small German town of Stadthagen that I ate in many, many years ago, the name of which I forget but the quality of fish dish was such that it still remains the benchmark for me when comparing in a similar grade of restaurant. Beef & Wines has now topped my list for beef.
The service was reasonably attentive without being intrusive, polite, and I could hear from a conversation with the next table that the waiters are well educated in both the food and wines on offer (source, preparation, etc).
All in all, a place to return to if I re-visit the island at some point.

3 Thank Naroznik
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“If you are a beef lover - this is for you!”
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Not particularly attractive from the outside but don't let this put you off. We opted not to have the covers as recommended by previous reviewers we chose the speciality beef and it was so delicious. Carved off a large skewer and they keep coming back to give you more. We had the passion fruit mousse to finish with the recommended glass of Madeira- absolutely fab on both accounts. Not usually a lover of Madeira this has changed my mind, if was exquisite so I am defiinately a convert. We also gave some red Madeiran wine a go and this was surprisingly good and complemented the beef very well. All in all a great meal,service friendly and good. Thoroughly recommended.

1 Thank SpendyWendy6
Madeira, Portugal
“Didn't dissappoint us”
Reviewed February 15, 2011

We have been waiting to try this restaurant and chose Valentine's Night to go. The restaurant was very nicely decorated with flowers and hearts. The staff were attentive, helpful, but not intrusive. Because we knew the portions could be large, we declined the bread and cheese, and decided to share the prawn starter, This was quite dissappointing, but very tasty dressing. There were only 5 prawns and a couple of empty heads. We chose the beef House special and this was excellent, if you don't like rare beef though, you may need to stress this, but we could not fault the meat, vegs or salad, A very knowledgable wine water chose a very good red for us, we were not familiar with any of the wines and if any criticism, the choice was too great. We would definately go again and plan to take our family when they visit later in the year.

2 Thank flowercity
Tenterden, United Kingdom
“Excellent and well presented restaurant not to be missed”
Reviewed February 8, 2011

This is a very good restaurant. Excellent service and the food is presented well and is a surprise. I have not had goat before and it was excellent. Good atmosphere -tables far enough apart to be relaxing. Will go again.

1 Thank MaxBarford4