“The Curate's Egg”

The George & Dragon
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Chacombe
Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A traditional country pub, in a idyllic surrounding. Set in the peaceful village of Chacombe, the George and Dragon is only 1 mile from junction 11 of the M40. The George and dragon is the perfect place for all occasions, whether it be for entertaining corporate lunches during the day, cosy dinners, family get togethers or a drink with your friends. The pub dates back to the 17th century and still has original beams and fire places. During an extension 20 years ago a hidden well was discovered, which has long become a big attraction of the pub, along with the unique brass bar. There is a large patio area which can seat up to 40 people during the long and thirsty summer months.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Curate's Egg”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The staff were friendly and helpful. The main courses were a good try, and the results were tasty.
However...... the puddings should be avoided. Most had very different ingredients from those shown on the menu, and some were old and stale.
Enjoy the friendly Mains, but leave the afters.

1 Thank Maxine B

London
“I wish this was my local!”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were travelling North from London and found this place on a tripadvisor forum whilst looking for a pub near to the M40 as an alternative to a service station. This is a journey we make several times a year and I'm pretty sure we will be stopping by the George & Dragon each time from now on. It's not far from the motorway and easy to navigate to, yet you find yourself in a really lovely, peaceful, rural setting surrounded by thatched cottages. The staff were very friendly and happy to help out. We each had a burger off the extensive and exciting gourmet burger menu (I can personally recommend the Italian Job) which whilst a little pricier than a Roadchef meal, was obviously more than worth it (joking aside, I think £10 for burger and some lovely chunky Maris Piper chips is reasonable and quite standard for pub fare). The rest of the menu looked interesting and I look forward to exploring it further. As we were on a long journey we were very pleased with the quick service, but we never felt rushed and could have quite happily spent the evening there, indeed I wanted to move into the village! As an after thought, I bet the seats in the inglenook by the wood burner are much sought after in winter, they looked lovely.

Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
“Great Local which is worth travelling a long way”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Extensive menu to meet all tastes. Food well cooked, very tasty, and sizeable portions.
Used by locals, but "outsiders" are made to feel really welcome. Lovely atmosphere - really buzzing.
I generally avoid belly pork because of the amount of fat, but here the serving has only ernough to provide the flavour. Seafood Tagliatelli Carbonnara has wonderful amount of seafood in it. Even the Cod and Chips is to be recommended!

1 Thank John V
Hastings, United Kingdom
“lovely”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Food wonderful and different things on menu. Comfortable and very charming pub. The group I was with had belly pork, beetroot & butternut squash risotto and I had chilli con carne lasagne, Unusual but very tasty

Visited August 2013
“What a find!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I decided to make the most of the good weather and had day out in Oxford a couple weeks ago. On our way back up the M40 we decided to have a look on tripadvisor for somewhere nice to eat that evening and we ended up finding this hidden gem.

We hadn't booked but thought we'd chance it anyway. Fortunately they had a table for us but it was about the only free table in the whole place. I'd recommend booking.

The food was lovely. I had the carpaccio of beef to start followed by a rather large Yorkshire pudding filled with mash, sausages and onion gravy. They weren't joking when they said giant Yorkshire! My partner went straight in for the pan fried Sea bass and then we shared a white chocolate and Oreo cheesecake. I gather she enjoyed it because I barely got a taste.

The service was fantastic and the atmosphere was vibrant. We will definitely return time and time again.

• Visited July 2013