“Well Preserved Collection of Aircraft”
Review of Air Museum

Air Museum
Ranked #17 of 71 things to do in Sintra
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Air Museum. Our purpose is to tell the story of the Portuguese aviation through its people and collections.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We used public transport to get to the museum. Take the train from Lisbon Rossio station to Portela de Sintra.

On alighting from the train use the underpass to get to the other side of the station. There is a line of several bus stops. With the station behind you, it is the next to the last one on your right. It is a green and white bus, destination Mafra, and appears to run roughly every hour. You can find a timetable on the mafrense website (http://www.mafrense.pt/).

You will know when you get to the museum because there is an aircraft preserved on your right hand side at the end of the road to the base & museum. From the stop it is 5 minutes brisk walk to the museum.

The museum itself has a varied collection of well preserved planes in two halls separated by a cafe area (unmanned when we were there, but with machines to get a drink and snack) and a doorway to the outside area where two of the larger exhibits are displayed.

The halls have plenty of windows so the exhibits are well lit, although the closeness of some, particularly the larger aircraft make photography difficult.

Aim to allow at least an hour for your visit.

Returning to Portela de Sintra it is not obvious what time the bus is at the museum stop, but if you look at the timetable, it will a few minutes after it leaves Facoa.

7  Thank Il76chaser
There are newer reviews for Air Museum

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Some great exhibits beautifully restored and preserved, well worth 3 euro's.
Place was deserted only us there.

1  Thank KA501
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This museum have one very organized collection and some very rares airplanes from the beggining of aviation. He have some motors in cut to see the interior of the operation and even a helicopter where is possible to operate the commands and see how it works.
The only negative think for me is they have some airplanes in a very bad condition, some of them could easly fly.
The administration of the museum should think better what they want for the museum, and give to the visitors more reall animation.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I really enjoyed this museum a great deal. We took the train from Lisbon to sintra and asked at the travel desk at sintra's train station about the museum. The nice young explained how to get there a where it was but was a little off, but we got there. If you are going to sintra and want to see the museum you should get off at the port of sintra train station which is the first station in sintra you come to from Lisbon. You then look for the green and white buses. From there it is about 15 minute bus ride to the air base. The stop is right in front of the long road to the air base and museum. I am a very slow walker so it took me about 15 minutes to walk, but others who do not have a bad can do it faster. The museum is marked on the travel map the tourist office in Sintra gave us, but does not say what museum it is..The museum is really great and has a wonderful collection of planes and goes over some of their use of Portugal's wars in Africa in the 60's and 70's. We had the museum to ourselves and I loved walking around seeing all the planes and exhibits. There was a snack bar but it was not in use, but there was a couple of vending machines. Furthermore, there are even some planes outside which you can go walk around as well. For me I was happy to see the t-6g which is a favorite of mine with its wing mounted guns and the large black greyhound on the side. I also intended to see the other two Portuguese air museums but did not get chance too. I have heard they are nice as well as the one as the tiger striped fiat 91 I really wanted to see. Overall, I feel the museum is a must for any aviation enthusiast. The walk back to the bus stop was felt longer as the I had walked so much, but once there we only waited about 15 minutes before the bus came. the bus must run every 30 minutes or so. I forget the number, but it is green and white and just ask the bus driver. Even though I could not speak any Portuguese I just showed a photo of the air museum and he knew what we wanted.

5  Thank ak474me
Reviewed June 9, 2013

the museum contained a lot of artefacts from the early aviation of Portuguese..... they have put together a lots of props, engines, egress and survival system, armament system from different eras and give u a lot of insight how things have moved forward from early WWI to today.... particular liking was for the WWII avenger's radar placed by radar from Catalina. not much is explained in other languages for this part.....

also on display are a couple of legendary aircrafts.... with a lot of take away photostated brouchers in English and portugese.

easily accessible from alverca train station...

But sad part is it is open on Monday Only....the artefacts are being shifted to Sintra. and is still open coz of space problems there (as told by Sgt)....