“Sensitive insight into the Duoro”

Portugal Nature Trails
Ranked #6 of 39 Tours in Sintra
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The best way to get to know a country, a self drive with the best nature and cultural hiking routes. Hiking and driving trough the country!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sensitive insight into the Duoro”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

If you love to walk and enjoy a bit of a challenge in a naturally beautiful and very interesting area, this is a great choice. To mix sculpted landscape with excellent Port wine and the most beautiful hospitality, this is it. The marketing is for an older age group ( I am early 50's ) but any age would enjoy this with good health and an interest in nature/wine/photography/culture. It is quite romantic actually. I loved the way you arrived to Pinhao on the train and then left after the hike by boat. I also loved the range of hotels along the way. There are always little smart surprises and great insight into the areas you are passing through. It feels pleasantly orchestrated except that it isn't, most locals thought I was lost as I was wandering off the beaten paths on my own.
Always check your equipment before you leave and always have a back up- there were a few technical glitches which were quickly and effectively addressed

I did the hike on my own which is the way I think it should be done as there is so much you can open up to. A couple would be very, very comfortable as with groups.

I did not want to stop hiking, I absolutely loved the experience.

1 Thank Travellerdid

• Turkish first
Hood River, Oregon
“Madrid to Lisbon Mountain Bike Challenge”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

This was an amazing tour through the back country of Spain and Portugal. The rout was well thought and and extensively researched to provide us with the total mountain bike experience. I went with 2 of my friends and our guide Antonio it could not have been better planned our meals and hotels were excellent and the attention to detail was impressive. This is a trip of a lifetime.

Calgary, Canada
“Incredible coastal riding in a wonderful country!”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

My wife and I used rental hybrid bikes on this self guided trip that were very well maintained. The accommodations were excellent and the people who ran them were very friendly. Since we don't know the language, it's fortunate that English is their second language!

We chose to do this route in 5 days of cycling rather than 7.
The days were fairly tough for my wife at times, as there is a fair amount of off-pavement riding. I would almost recommend the longer tour so that you can spend more time enjoying the beaches, etc. The off-pavement riding along the coast is awesome! You can skip some of the inland tougher stuff by using the paced roads if desired.

Portugal Trails run an excellent operation! Even though Antonio was guiding a group on a tough MTB tour, he phoned us daily on the cell phone we were given. And he dealt with one problem efficiently. Felipe set us on our way with all the equipment and information we needed at the start, and Marcel picked us up and drove us to our next destination with more information than we could assimilate at the end.

I have cycled a number of trips in Europe, and the service with this company is the best. Go for it!

Bellingham, Washington
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Portugal Wild Coast self-guided bike tour”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Our experience with Antonio and Portugal Nature Trails was completely positive starting from his first email reply to my initial inquiry re possible tours. We ended up choosing to do a self-guided tour from Sesimbra to Sagres. The trip actually begins with a pick up to the starting place, followed by an orientation. Phillip was our contact person that day and provided a wonderful intro to the equipment.
Antonio was exceedingly flexible in accommodating our dates and in allowing our return shuttle to go to Evora instead of Lisbon.
We were supplied with great bikes, a repair kit, spare tubes, a GPS, maps etc.
Everything was wonderful. We kept marveling at the route chosen, each day providing more stunning scenery than we thought possible. The accommodation was varied and each place had it's own unique charm. The luggage transfer went seamlessly.
We cannot say enough positive things about this company and our entire experience on this trip. What a fantastic vacation. Cannot wait for our next one. Would definitely use Portugal Nature Trails again in the future!

1 Thank Maryanne1204
Bethlehem, Palestinian Territories
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent rewarding”
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

A chemistry teacher as a guide was excellent
The organization too
Tea party on top of hill fantastic and rewarding

Visited April 2014