“Madrid to Lisbon Mountain Bike Challenge”

Portugal Nature Trails
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The best way to get to know a country, a self drive with the best nature and cultural hiking routes. Hiking and driving trough the country!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed June 4, 2014

This was an amazing tour through the back country of Spain and Portugal. The rout was well thought and and extensively researched to provide us with the total mountain bike experience. I went with 2 of my friends and our guide Antonio it could not have been better planned our meals and hotels were excellent and the attention to detail was impressive. This is a trip of a lifetime.

All reviews
"spectacular scenery"
in 3 reviews
"local sites"

Reviewed May 29, 2014

My wife and I used rental hybrid bikes on this self guided trip that were very well maintained. The accommodations were excellent and the people who ran them were very friendly. Since we don't know the language, it's fortunate that English is their second language!

We chose to do this route in 5 days of cycling rather than 7.
The days were fairly tough for my wife at times, as there is a fair amount of off-pavement riding. I would almost recommend the longer tour so that you can spend more time enjoying the beaches, etc. The off-pavement riding along the coast is awesome! You can skip some of the inland tougher stuff by using the paced roads if desired.

Portugal Trails run an excellent operation! Even though Antonio was guiding a group on a tough MTB tour, he phoned us daily on the cell phone we were given. And he dealt with one problem efficiently. Felipe set us on our way with all the equipment and information we needed at the start, and Marcel picked us up and drove us to our next destination with more information than we could assimilate at the end.

I have cycled a number of trips in Europe, and the service with this company is the best. Go for it!

Reviewed May 25, 2014

Our experience with Antonio and Portugal Nature Trails was completely positive starting from his first email reply to my initial inquiry re possible tours. We ended up choosing to do a self-guided tour from Sesimbra to Sagres. The trip actually begins with a pick up to the starting place, followed by an orientation. Phillip was our contact person that day and provided a wonderful intro to the equipment.
Antonio was exceedingly flexible in accommodating our dates and in allowing our return shuttle to go to Evora instead of Lisbon.
We were supplied with great bikes, a repair kit, spare tubes, a GPS, maps etc.
Everything was wonderful. We kept marveling at the route chosen, each day providing more stunning scenery than we thought possible. The accommodation was varied and each place had it's own unique charm. The luggage transfer went seamlessly.
We cannot say enough positive things about this company and our entire experience on this trip. What a fantastic vacation. Cannot wait for our next one. Would definitely use Portugal Nature Trails again in the future!

1  Thank Maryanne1204
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

A chemistry teacher as a guide was excellent
The organization too
Tea party on top of hill fantastic and rewarding

Date of experience: April 2014
See more reviews
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Having no sense of direction and a reluctance to use a GPS or maps I booked a "self guided" trip with Portugal Natural Trails.The goal, to walk from Ponte do Lima Portugal to Fisterra along the Camino de Santiago.
Assistance via email and cell phone was graciously and efficiently provided 24/7
After walking 2/3 of the way on The Camino I decided, simply for variety to walk along secondary roads and unmarked country lanes part of the time.
Helder did a stellar job developing narrative maps which were emailed and printed out at the hotel

Hotels selected by PNT were always very good and in several instances unique and fabulous.The only negative was the weather,I would not recommend going in February,it wasn't cold but rained 17 out of 22 days

The entire experience was wonderful.there were no glitches,I plan to use Portugal Nature Trails again and highly recommend them
P.G
Toronto Canada

Having no sense of direction and a reluctance to use a GPS or maps I booked a "self guided" trip with Portugal Nature Trails.The goal to walk from Ponte do Lima Portugal to Fisterra along the Camino de Santiago.

The entire experience was wonderful.there were no glitches,I plan to use Portugal Natural Trails again and highly recommend them
P.G