“Serene escape”
Review of Quinta da Capela

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sintra
Quinta da Capela
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Sintra
Reviewed June 30, 2007

*The only drawbacks were a slightly weak shower and a lengthy walk to Sintra town (latter is not a problem if coming by car).
*The house was beautifully set and tastefully furnished, breakfast was perfect!
*Loved that it was a really "feel at home place" with a "honesty bar" that you can help yourself at anytime and a big library so if you suffer from jetlag, plenty of options here....
*Look at the pictures and you'll see what I mean by "serene"
*10 min drive to the beach where we had crabs and king prawns too!

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank Kuki79

Reviewed June 27, 2007

This small former manor house is a real gem. Nine rooms in a restored farm house (2 of the rooms are below th main house offering even more privacy & self catering facilities with private outdoor lounge areas) Very friendly staff gave great recommendations for dining and driving in the Sintra area. Breakfasts are included but could be better -- tho' I often find them disappointing in Europe & at least here you can pay for upgrades to cooked breakfasts.

Fabulous views out to the coast on one side and upwards towards 3 distant palaces in the other. Glorious gardens flank the main building which has been lovingly restored with an intimate ambiance of rustic splendour. Great areas to lounge around inside & outside make this a beautiful retreat in the enchanting setting of Sintra. Highly recommended for smaller, independent hotel lovers.

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed March 1, 2007

We loved the Quinta da Capela. This manor home is spectaculor, beautifully decorated and the setting is magnificent. The owners are very nice and informative. We can't say enough about this place. Sintra is a magical place and staying here was the right decision. We can't wait to return.

Reviewed November 15, 2006

We had heard about the Quinta da Capela online and it sounded wonderful. When we finally arrived, after being lost most of the day, the staff was cordial but not overly solicitious. We had booked 6 months prior to our arrival and had anticipated getting the beautiful room they showed in their website. We were led down the stairs to an underground room with a window that looked out onto the driveway.
Other guests were routinely walking past
our room and looking in. We immediately requested a different room but were told that none existed. They did show us one
upstairs that looked as if it were the spare room with two single
beds. The bed in our room was full size and felt more like a box
spring than a mattress. Early in the morning one of the guests left,
walked by our room and looked in on me in the bed. In the morning we ate breakfast in a lovely breakfast room. But were never waited on or told that we could have an egg for an additional
price. There were other guests having eggs etc. and only realized
that this was available after we had finished our continental breakfast. We did check out that morning and the management
did not charge us for the second night. After we left we went into
the actual town of Sintra and found a really wonderful place
that allowed us to walk around in the evening and have dinner
at the hotel which was lovely. Also note, this hotel is in the middle of the forest, which is quite nice, but incredibly difficult to navigate and had no services beyond the accommodations.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
7  Thank BlabbieMae
Reviewed March 21, 2006

I have been meaning to write about this charming Inn since we returned from Portugal.
It would be a shame to go to Sintra and miss staying here. But I would echo previous reviewers sentiments regarding the charming rooms/vistas and the lovely relaxing garden. From our attractive comfortable (never did find a soft bed in Portugal or Spain unless staying at a US Chain hotel) and spacious room, one could relax on the chaise and gaze out the window at 4(four) castles at once! It was like being in a fairytale but with one's eyes wide open. The castles are magical to visit too.
We dined one night at the incredible Hotel Tivoli Palacio de Seteais which was a wonderful experience. A special treasure indeed.
The only thing to be aware of is that the Quinta da Capela is outside Sintra in the mountains/hills. One needs a car to stay there and we were not so happy about driving at night!!
Even with that fact, we still wouldn't have missed it for the world.

• Stayed: October 2004, traveled on business
8  Thank decorate
Reviewed October 21, 2005

This place is simply magical - a perfect antedote to the stresses of modern life. Set in a lush green valley in Sintra, every window of the old manor house has stunning views; distant domes and palaces (illuminated at night), beautifully manicured gardens and patios filled with exotic plants. The interior is spectacular too, with all the rooms tastefully decorated with Portuguese antiques and a roaring log fire in the lounge. I brought my wife and a group of friends with me for a long weekend, and everyone is eager to return. Having booked the Quinta some time ago I was somewhat alarmed to read a couple of negative reports from guests who stayed in May. I am now staggered that anyone could find something negative to say about this place! If I really wanted to "nit-pick", some toiletries in the bathrooms would have been welcome. Marc and his charming staff were ever present and helpful. The fish restaurants they recommended along the Atlantic coast were excellent. All in all, a perfect weekend.

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank Graham2109
A TripAdvisor Member
Berlin
Reviewed October 4, 2005

I felt in love 25 years ago. and I came back every year. Quinta da Capela is my loving place, my relaxing space, whenever I want. In all this years I took the best of my friends and lovers to Sintra, to Quinta da Capela. I know every room in the house, everly little walk through the gardens down to the see. the old gardener is still the same, and marc zürcher and arturo pereira became friends in all this years. Sintra is a romantic place with spectacular views. By night you can see the illuminated castles arround. By day from the garden you see the glimmering see over the lemontrees. you can sit in the garden under a figtree, reading or rolling down do the adraga beach nearby. When you arrive: you relaxe. In Quinta da Capela you feel private in the beautiful rooms and comfortable with the nice stuff. You feel like home. Like me. No better place to feel wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2005