“Old World Charm”

Tivoli Palacio de Seteais
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Sintra
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Driving into the grounds of this hotel was more like visiting an attraction rather than arriving at your accommodation. A gorgeous building set in beautiful, extensive grounds and boasting marvellous views and impeccable service. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff on the front desk.
Breakfast was top quality and the wait staff excellent.
The wifi password system was a trial and needs improving. Charging 2 euros per coffee pod does seem a little trivial .
The location slightly out of the centre of town suits me but the walk is slightly challenging due to the lack of good pathway.
I would never normally choose an old world style hotel but Tivoli Palacio de Seteais lends its self perfectly to the beautiful town of Sintra.
Be sure to visit Lu Gourmet artelier de chocolate for the best pastal de nates!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
TivoliSintra, General Manager at Tivoli Palacio de Seteais, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the comments that you left us after your stay at Hotel Tivoli Palácio Seteais.
Waiting for your esteemed visit again, hopping to have another chance to provide you an even better stay in the near future, we keep at your entire disposal.
Tivoli Palácio de Seteais

Write a ReviewReviews (1,194)

Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

That's what my son said as we explored the palace. I stayed here 15 years ago and dreamed of coming back. It was just as wonderful as I remembered! The palace is beautiful, the rooms are large and so comfortable and the staff is ...well, I felt like a princess. The breakfast is amazing, fruit and meat and cheese and breads and eggs and bacon and more. The hotel is just a few minutes' walk from town, but it's a wild apart. You can see the Moorish Castle up on the hill, there are peacocks living next door, the beds are super comfortable. I'm hoping we can return before another 15 years have passed.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank SusanTravells
TivoliSintra, General Manager at Tivoli Palacio de Seteais, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2014

Dear Ms. Susan Travells,
I thank the comments that you were kind enough to leave us after your stay at Hotel Tivoli Palácio Seteais, and I am pleased to know that your stay was really pleasant.
In case you have any question please contact me on the email joao.cortereal@tivolihotels.com.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Driving up to it truly takes your breath away - the property is impressive in every way, and quite imposing and grand. However, for us it didn't quite rise to the level of 5 stars; the public rooms didn't really have any "wow" factor, and the room was ultimately a disappointment. We did have a wonderful view from our room out over the countryside and the Atlantic beyond, and that went a long way to compensate for the unremarkable room. We had reserved a King room, but were given one with 2 beds instead, which the manager assured us was actually larger than the rooms with just one bed. So we figured we could sleep in separate beds for one night for the sake of a larger room. However, the room was cramped and didn't exude any of the elegance or grandeur that struck us when we arrived. Thankfully the bathroom was spacious, but overall it was simply an average room.

Since our room wasn't ready for us when we arrived at noon, we decided to explore the property a bit and have lunch. We wanted to get outside to take in the view and the gardens, but the only access seemed to be from the dining room terrace. But since it was windy out, it was all enclosed with plastic, and a waiter had to raise it up for us to duck underneath. Once outside, we enjoyed exploring the lovely grounds, and the pool area in particular looked inviting, with lots of lounges and umbrellas around. Definitely a beautiful spot to unwind and relax! We walked all around, and then tried to find a way back in, but the exterior doors we found were all locked, forcing us to go back to the terrace. Since there wasn't a door there, we had to again wait until we could get the attention of a waiter to raise the plastic again for us so we could duck underneath. Awkward and strange......why are the other doors kept locked?

I think the location of the hotel is fairly convenient, and at least parking is free and effortless, not the case in town. The walk back to town is downhill, and quite pretty; it takes about 15 minutes, and is perfectly safe, even after dark. Having had a good - but typically overpriced - lunch at the hotel, we decided to walk to dinner in town. Of course, coming back is uphill, but it's gradual, unlike a lot of the hills around!

The breakfast was formal and elegant, with a good selection of hot/cold items. It seemed pretty typical of the breakfasts we had on our whole trip through Portugal. Others have complained about having to pay for wifi: knowing this ahead of time, I simply signed up for their rewards program (GHA), which is free, and that got me the wifi. Since doing so only takes 2 minutes and you can save 15 euros a day, you should definitely plan to do this before you book.

Overall,it's safe to say that we were underwhelmed, but perhaps our expectations were unrealistically high given the magnificence of this hotel's exterior and the fact that it has "Palace" in its name.......

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Zorro_and_Gatinha
TivoliSintra, General Manager at Tivoli Palacio de Seteais, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Reviewed May 23, 2014

Excellent place to stay while visiting in Sintra. Hotel is rich in history and attends to the guest needs. Well worth a few nights here just to enjoy the view and indulge in the excellent breakfast buffet. Staff is very proud of the hotel and it's interesting and intriguing history. Certainly a place not to miss while in Sintra.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments. I will pass on to our team, your satisfaction with the service, with the assurance that it will help to maintain the motivation and commitment of all who are part of the Hotel Staff.
Waiting for your visit again, we keep at your entire disposal.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

My wife and I stayed here (without children - woo hoo) for a wine tasting. The rooms are all individually decorated and are a good size, some of the paint is peeling on the window sills as mentioned by another reviewer but this added to the charm. If you want a US style 5 star hotel then choose the four seasons, but you will miss out on the delight of this palace, there are lots of small sitting rooms all exquisitely decorated. I also felt that the price we paid was very reasonable (but we did book a few months ahead). The staff were all lovely and helpful. Its a short walk into the centre of Sintra so the place is conveniently situated. There were several families with children and an outdoor pool (but be warned it is not heated). We liked it so much we will come back

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your Experience at Tivoli Palácio de Seteais.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed our Hotel, a former XVIII Century Palace, totally refurbished in 2008, located on the hills of Sintra, UNESCO World Heritage town.
I hope we have the change to receive you again during your next stay in Sintra.

Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

The first room we were given was quaint, however, one of the window panes was cracked and looked as though it was about to fall out. We asked to be moved to another room, which was nice. For a 5 star hotel, I don't think that should have happened. The restaurant was beautiful and the food was good. I would recommend if you could get a good deal on a room there. It's definitely not worth the rack rate of like 400 euros a room a night.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steffen K

Dear Mr. Steffen K,
Thank you for sharing your experience of staying at the Tivoli Palácio de Seteais with us. I apologise for any inconvenience caused by the condition of the windows in your room. At the Tivoli Palácio de Seteais, we have a maintenance team available 24 hours a day prepared for every situation. I assure you that all steps have been taken to resolve this isolated issue, as I am sure you will be able to see on your next visit.
Should you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to contact me at joao.cortereal@tivolihotels.com.
My best regards.
João Corte Real
General Director

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Do take the news from taxi drivers! I've asked a Sintra taxi driver ' Which is the best place to stay here' 3 years ago. He said ' Tivoli Palacio de Seteais' So I've arranged to stay here after 3 years with R. The rooms' walls are all hand decorated, painted. It's a historical palace. Their restaurant has decent prices as well, but we did not eat there, because we had no time. I recommend you to not forget to wander around all saloons and inhale the beauty of an another era.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple