“Be a king for one night!”

Tivoli Palacio de Seteais
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Sintra
Karlsruhe, Germany
“Be a king for one night!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

This is an exceptional building in an exceptional place! The price was really fair. The breakfast is a must and the service is very friendly! The rooms are really good and comfortable. Only one small negative comment: if you looked closer to the skirting boards, you could see that the painting had been done quickly and without care, what is a pity for such a place.This is definitely a place to consider if you want to visit and stay in Sintra.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jorge_Karlsruhe
PedroFrazao_GM, General Manager at Tivoli Palacio de Seteais, responded to this review, January 25, 2016
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking time to share your opinion about Tivoli Palácio de Seteais located on the hills of Sintra, UNESCO World Heritage town, with lovely views to the Pena Palace and Moorish Castle. It is a pleasure for us to provide a warm welcoming with excellence service standards and to provide you the opportunity to enjoy the amazing nature of this region, or a pleasant walk to the village, one of the most picturesque in Portugal.
Pedro Frazão

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Turkish first
Pacific, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

This is a beautiful old palace converted into a reasonably priced hotel. Yes, it has got some peeling paint and needs refurbishment, but its a piece of history, with lovely antiques and stunning views. The restaurant is very good and you can also book for the 2 Michelin stars for EU165 per person (excluding wine). The rooms are well appointed and the linens are classic, with crisp cotton sheets and hand embroidered white duvets. Parking is free. I'm so glad I got to stay here!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank nwmouse
Dear Guest,
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

I stayed at Tivoli Palacio de Seteais in November 2013 and I paid 160 euros for a single room.

As you can see from any of the travelers' photos, the hotel is gorgeous and the property big. By any standard this is a 5-star facility. However there are still a couple things that got on my nerves.

First of all, the room is nothing like the pictures posted on the major hotel booking websites. Don't get me wrong, the room is nice and comfortable, but much smaller and just not as fancy. It was so different that I had to ask the bell boy if this is the room that I had booked online. "Yes, ma'am, this is the Collection single room." Later I checked the website again and found out they were using the same round of photos for single, double or whatever rooms. Nobody likes to be misled. I definitely don't.

Then they have to charge 15 euros for wi-fi. I believe free wi-fi is pretty much the norm for hotels and B&Bs these days. On this trip to Portugal, I stayed at 8 different hotels between Porto, Lisbon and Sintra, and Tivoli Palacio de Seteais was the only one that asked for a surcharge on wi-fi. Luckily I purchased a sim card upon arriving Portugal at the airport's Vodafone counter. I just bought the cheapest data plan for 15 euros and I still haven't run out at the end of my 9-day trip. I would recommend any out-of-the-country travelers to do the same. Sintra, as beautiful as it is, is quite rural. Sites and shops close early and after dinner, you would be sitting idly in your room and have this sudden urge to check emails or surf the net.

Now that I got the bad things off my system, I should mention what impressed me. I really appreciate the tray of food and drinks they had put in my room when I checked in. I wasn't hungry or anything but It's the thought that counts. I got a feeling that maybe some big shots at the far away headquarter have a strict policy on wi-fi surcharge or what-not, but the people managing the hotel on location are working hard to please the customers and don't mind taking the extra steps. A small tray of food and drink with a welcome note awaiting the arriving guests is a really nice touch.

Then the breakfast buffet was amazing. Not just the quality, quantity and variety of food, but the fruit juices, the bakery, even the condiments were impressive. The dining room was beautiful, the service was great, just love everything about the breakfast experience.

I also wandered around the hotel and took a lot of pictures. This is an old building so the layout is a little unexpected. Exploring the hotel inside and out was a joy.

Room Tip: Buy a local sim card to avoid the hotel's wi-fi surcharge.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank MissHo
TivoliHotelsResorts, Gerente geral at Tivoli Palacio de Seteais, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear guest
Thank you for sharing your experience at Tivoli Palácio de Seteais. Your opinion is very important to us.
Your room was a Collection Room, with a very nice view over the Sintra Mountains and to the sea. In the Tivoli Palácio de Seteais, all rooms are different. The hotel is a XVIII palace, which used to be a private home. Because of that, the room sizes can vary from 16m2 to 24m2, but have equal facilities, such as: Double or Twin T/Beds, LCD television, Tivoli Collection toiletries and bathrobes and coffee making facilities in the room. Please accept our apologies if the room did not live up to your expectation. Unfortunately, we weren't unable to switch to a different one, because the hotel was fully booked.
About wi-fi internet, we would like to invite you to sign up to our free loyalty programme - GHA Discovery - you have free high speed WIFI internet in every Tivoli Hotel & Resort and, indeed, in over 350 GHA Discovery hotels around the world. The programme also offers perks such as a newspaper of your choice during your stay, and mineral water on arrival. Sign up now and enjoy these benefits on your next stay.
We are very glad to know that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and appreciated the VIP tray of food that we put, in your room, on arrival. In the Tivoli Palácio de Seteais, we like to provide our guests an unique experience, and introduce the Portuguese typical flavors and traditions .
For any other questions please contact me by email joao.cortereal@tivolihotels.com
Best regards
João Corte Real
Lisbon, Lisboa, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

This year I wanted to have a new year’s eve dinner at special place and due to family circumstances I need a calm and quiet place located in a Palace. I chose this hotel and I am very pleased with my choice. The location within the Sintra forest and Palaces region was perfect, even one of the rooms had a view to Pena Palace. To be in this hotel is like to be in a Palace of the old days. The furniture is antique and the felling was authentic.

Dinner was very good and the service was excellent. My family and I enjoyed very much. The new year party was at the hotel bar with live music.

Breakfast was excellent and served on the dining room. Staff was attentive and cared for our needs.

I stayed for two nights and had the pleasure of exploring the Sintra region.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
PedroFrazao_GM, General Manager at Tivoli Palacio de Seteais, responded to this review, January 27, 2016
Dear Armando,
Thank you for sharing with us your experience of staying at the Tivoli Palácio de Seteais.
We were glad to know that you liked our rooms, decorated with magnificent paintings, tapestries and frescos of rare beauty. We are also very pleased that you enjoyed our Hotel and surrounding gardens, a former XVIII Century Palace, totally refurbished in 2008, located on the hills of Sintra, UNESCO World Heritage town.
We were happy to hear that you liked the Seteais Restaurant menu, service and breakfast, which can be enjoyed in a romantic and stylish atmosphere.
I will pass on to our team, your satisfaction with the service, with the assurance that it will help to maintain the motivation and commitment of all who are part of the Hotel Staff.
Palácio de Seteais
Budapest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed two nights in this hotel, making a stopover on the way to Algarve, wanting to see some of Sintra (for which you would need at least two full days, or rather three, we could not manage to see all the sights we had planned to). The Tivoli was not easy to find, in my GPS I tried the address Avenida Barbosa do Bocage 10 (as given by the hotel), but only too late did I learn that the GPS had it as Rua Barbosa do Bocage 10 (as correctly stated on the TA). I also made a mistake in entering the GPS coordinates (which the hotel had provided correctly when confirming the booking) – so it took generous help from a local to lead us to the hotel. It is really nice, we were greeted with some chocolates and an excellent Porto wine (Messias Tawny). The room was really luxurious with beautiful bathroom en suite, but it may just not be comfortable enough for longer stays – for the two nights it was perfect. The bed is somewhat softer than I prefer, but comfortable enough. Breakfast was fantastic with a selection of fresh tropical fruits (mango, papaya, pineapple), freshly squeezed orange juice, cheese and cold cuts. The almond cake was delicious, espresso coffee excellent. The scrambled eggs were the usual hotel quality.
It’s worth while walking around not only in the palace itself but also in the gardens. Our room overlooked the pool and the surrounding countryside, beautiful and peaceful. Although not cheap by any means, for this level it is justified.
Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple.

Room Tip: Pool view is beautiful and in October it was quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robicsek
Dear Robicsek,
Lima, Peru
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

The Palace of Seteais is a very special place located in beautiful surroundings with a very nice garden which as you enter it and approach the main building feels truly palatial. The grand entrance and various rooms in the main floor are exquisite, tastefully furnished and full of light. The rooms are large and very comfortable. The atmosphere can be described as relaxed and elegant. There is a lovely dining room where a pianist is playing as you enter it, putting you in a good mood for a nice dinner. Breakfast is served buffet style, with a nice selection of dishes.
Don't miss the back porch where tea or a drink can be enjoyed in a lovely surrounding.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice and quiet because of the extensive gardens surrounding the hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ines Y
Dear Ines,
Oeiras, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

This hotel is incerted in the old part of Sintra and you can actually fell that you turned back in time... You can fell like a member of the royal family and live in this Palace with all the comoditiesof a modern hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank FilipeG
Dear Filipe,
Pedro Frazão
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sintra
Hotel Nova Sintra
Hotel Avenida Palace
Hotel Avenida Palace
#6 of 247 in Lisbon
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,549 reviews

Been to Tivoli Palacio de Seteais? Share your experiences!