“Magical Oasis”

Tivoli Palacio de Seteais
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Sintra
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Palacio de Setais is an architectural gem nestled in beautiful lush gardens. Walking distance to SIntra, it was nice to be away from the crowds in this amazing paradise. The pool and terrace area made it hard to leave the grounds to visit the nearby sites. There were many exquisite sitting rooms and a lovely terrace overlooking the pool and the gardens. Great place to enjoy dinner or a cocktail at sundown. The dining room was beautiful and the breakfast buffet was extraordinary, I believe there was champagne. Our room was attractive with a garden view but it was small. The staff was helpful and warm and our only complaint was one of our evening meals in the dining room was not up to par. That said, I would return to this very romantic hotel in a flash.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a terrace, they seem to be much larger.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Woodsidepasta
PedroFrazao_GM, General Manager at Tivoli Palacio de Seteais, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2016

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking time to share your opinion about Tivoli Palácio de Seteais, located on the hills of Sintra, UNESCO World Heritage town, with lovely views to the Pena Palace and Moorish Castle. It is a pleasure for us to provide a warm welcoming with excellence service standards and to provide you the opportunity to enjoy the amazing nature of this region, or a pleasant walk to the village, one of the most picturesque in Portugal.
All your comments about the Hotel Tivoli Palácio de Seteais were already shared with the staff, and some may be considered in the near future, to improve our quality standards.
I hope we have the chance to receive you again during your next stay in Sintra.
Best Regards,

Reviewed October 11, 2011

The Palacio de Seteais is a historic palace dating from the late 18th century. It's surrounded by lush gardens and has a reasonably-sized outside swimming pool. We stayed in a room on the front of the hotel which had a view of the Castelo dos Mouros (Moorish castle) on a nearby hill. Other front-facing rooms apparently have rooms of the Palacio de Pena, on top of an adjacent hill.

The service was excellent; the hotel was very helpful with our seven-month-old baby, providing a good quality cot in the room and boiled water for his bottle at breakfast. The pianist playing outside the dining room even played a lullaby for him one evening!

The breakfast buffet is very good. We also had dinner in the hotel a couple of times: reasonably expensive but good quality. (As well as a pianist, on other nights there was a harpist playing.) We were made to feel welcome with our baby in his buggy even though it's a fairly formal, hushed dining room.

If you're planning to drive it's worth bearing in mind that the road leading to the hotel from central Sintra is narrow and twisty, meaning that you are likely to encounter other cars (or minibuses) as you turn blind corners. I'm certainly glad I wasn't driving.

The downside of having a baby in a buggy is that there is no pavement for much of this road to Sintra, plus it's not well lit, and so while the walk into town isn't over-long it is nevertheless impossible to do with a baby outside daylight hours.

One other minor criticism is the noise of the refuse collection early on Monday morning, which is very audible from rooms on the front of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank d0gwalker
PedroFrazao_GM, General Manager at Tivoli Palacio de Seteais, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2016

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing with us your experience of staying at the Tivoli Palácio de Seteais.
We were glad to know that you liked our rooms, decorated with magnificent paintings, tapestries and frescos of rare beauty. We are also very pleased that you enjoyed our Hotel and surrounding gardens, a former XVIII Century Palace, totally refurbished in 2008, located on the hills of Sintra, UNESCO World Heritage town.
We were happy to hear that you liked the Seteais Restaurant menu, service and breakfast, which can be enjoyed in a romantic and stylish atmosphere.
I will pass on to our team, your satisfaction with the service, with the assurance that it will help to maintain the motivation and commitment of all who are part of the Hotel Staff.
Palácio de Seteais

Reviewed October 7, 2011

The hotel is situated in a palatial old residence above the charming town of sintra. There is parking around the front garden under the shade of old Plane trees. The staff are welcoming and professional.
Our room was furnished with antiques and had a modern bathroom designed in harmony with the period. The rooms overlooking the citrus orchard and pool give the best view over the plain. The beds were comfortable, an Airconditioner was present but may have struggled on a hot day. Wifi internet was available free if you joined the company's loyalty program, but the system was awkward and needed a new password every 24 hours for each device you used.
The common areas were beautiful, with grand dining areas, bar with a good pianist on the grand piano and a lovely covered terrace bar looking over the pool. The pool is great for lounging, but not for lap swimming as it is somewhat too short and has steps at one end.
Breakfast was a good spread of fresh food well served by an overstretched single waiter.
You will need to drive to most attractions but you can walk down to the historic town centre 15 minutes down some narrow streets.
If you are driving be sure to drive down to Azhenas Do Mar for a great seafood meal perched just above a sea water pool on the pounding atlantic ocean.

• Stayed: October 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking time to share your opinion about Tivoli Palácio de Seteais located on the hills of Sintra, UNESCO World Heritage town, with lovely views to the Pena Palace and Moorish Castle. It is a pleasure for us to provide a warm welcoming with excellence service standards and to provide you the opportunity to enjoy the amazing nature of this region, or a pleasant walk to the village, one of the most picturesque in Portugal.

Reviewed September 29, 2011

Last year my wife and I stayed at this grand hotel, at a not particularly busy time, only to endure several days that could hardly be called restful. We had no problems with the grounds or the appointments of the hotel: our room was splendid, though a bit on the old world stodgy side, and the staff friendly and efficient, at least at first.

But a few things occured that I immediately found unsettling: On the first day-- a fashion photo shoot was taking place at the hotel. The shoot took over the back gardens, but heaven forbid if one ventured out: I'd never gotten so many bad looks in my life: how dare we ruin their nice pictures! In general, just walking around the hotel and grounds, where the shooting was taking place, we were made to feel that we were intruding, And talk about a lack of privacy-- who wants to tip toe around? Complaining to the management, we were told that it would only last the day-- with apologies.

The next day, however, brought even more surprises: we awakened to find that a television crew had taken over the hallways, sitting rooms, and gardens of the hotel. Arc lamps and bright lighting and reflecting umbrellas were everywhere-- in fact just outside our door. Techinicians and actors were rambling about. Okay, so we went out-- returning about four in the afternoon, to find the production of some Portugeese "reality" show taking place outside our window and in the halls outside our room. At one point, I looked out our window and some production person shot me a dirty look, as if I were messing up the scene-- or intruding upon their artistic greatness. Okay, we stayed inside our room: in fact we could go nowhere else in the hotel, as it had been taken over by them. At one point, I telephoned the front desk to complain about the noise-- for kids were being filmed running in the garden and shouting with joy!-- over and over again-- that is to say, a staged "reality" show: I was told that it would all be over by seven PM. A little while later, the assistant manager of the hotel telephoned me to say that if we wanted to "relax and watch television" for a few hours in another room, she would open one up for us. But would you find that offer convenient? Or encouraging? Later, at a quite uncomfortable dinner in the restaurant, we could hear the actors running and shouting above us; we could not even go outside on the patio to dine-- as they were shooting there as well. Okay, but not great, and certainly not relaxing.

To make a long story short, the television crews were there until midnight-- and even when they finally left, I had to contend with people wheeling their equipment carts along the gravel paths outside our window and talking loudly at one in the morning: in fact, most of the evening, people were standing just outside, yapping away on their cell phones, pacing in the garden, and smoking cigarettes. It was so unsettling that I did not sleep well at all. Altogether, it was not a relaxing or enjoyable stay, despite our earlier liking of the people who work there. I left feeling that we should have been told about this shoot before hand, and to pay 280 euros, in this economy, for such disruption seems unfair. Had we known earlier we would have moved that morning down the hill to the Hotel Lawrence, which offered a suite for 180, and real quietude.

Which brings me to another point: as we were checking out, the manager, with all good intentions, told my wife that we were being comped for the horrible meal we had the evening before;however, I left with the feeling that, well intentioned as he was, that we should not have been billed for either night -- which, as far as I am concerned, amounted to a completely unsettling experience. I left the hotel feeling exhausted, and, to be truthful, quite angry.

Lest you think I over-reacted,we are not strangers to fine hotels. We have stayed at La Mamunia in Marakesh, at the Stafford in London recently, and, in southern Italy, at the Santa Venere hotel, which, as advertised, offered us all the peace and solace that we, as people seeing an escape from the noise and chaos of New York, deeply needed. In fact we were so unsettled that we cut short our planned four days in Sintra and went back to Lisbon, (which was not what we wanted to do), to the Lapa Palace, which was a far better deal, and included an affably offered upgrade.

On my way out I had hinted that an adjustment to our bill would have been the way for the hotel to go, -- that is the more gracious way to go-- but this did not happen; afterwards, even after we had written to the hotel chain's central office, we were, in essence, blown off-- they did not bother to respond.
The bottom line, I would never recommend the Palácio de Seteais to anyone who asks me about it in the future.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Oscar H
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I can't believe there aren't any more recent reviews on this impeccable place. I stayed at the Palacio de Seteais for 5 nights in late September 2009 with my boyfriend. We could not have asked for a more romantic spot, up in the hills above Sintra. Everything at the Palacio de Seteais was flawless -- the room, the bedding, the peace and quiet, the lovely personnel, the gorgeous grounds. The only thing we didn't like was one lunch at the restaurant, which was overpriced, mediocre food, so we didn't go back. However, the breakfast was by far the best I have ever had in a hotel of this class. We had a room overlooking the gardens and pool and were amazed by the lack of noise here. The only sound we ever heard was birds singing. The bedding was also the best I've ever experienced in this kind of hotel. The décor is lovely antique or imitation antique furniture. A sweet touch was a decanter of port in our room, which we savoured while enjoying the beautiful views. The bathroom was spacious and well equipped. This is the kind of place where you come to get away from it all, for a relaxing luxury holiday, yet within reach of tourist attractions (we had a car, which was useful, because it is quite the hike up the hill from town). I was so pleased with our choice, because I found Sintra itself rather disappointing. The castles are all (except one) 19th century imitations of other famous castles, and if you've been to the original ones as I have, the imitations are somewhat lacking in soul. However, the setting is fantastic, and you are close to the ocean. And again, who cared about Sintra when you are staying in a fabulous palace? We swam in the hotel's beautiful pool every day (at the end of September!) Kudos for the WiFi internet connection, which was perfect, a rarity during our travels in Portugal. Overall, we both felt that this was a perfect end to our Portugal escape, and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: I loved our room overlooking the gardens and pool. Not sure what the rooms on the other side would b...
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CathyFrance

Dear Cathy,

Reviewed August 14, 2011

Our first trip to the Seteais was in 2005. Upon finishing a college program in Spain, our son, my husband and I had driven through Spain into Portugal. It was fabulous and we secretly vowed we would come back again someday. This July, we returned with our son and his wife because we couldn't think of any place more special to celebrate our 41st anniversary. We adore Portugal and it was especially nice since our son speaks portuguese. Our flight to Lisbon was a nightmare due to delayed flights and connection porblems and so when we finally arrived at the hotel, it was almost midnight and we had been traveling for 2 days. The minute we drove up to the gorgeous property, however, the stress of the last 2 days faded away and we were met with a wonderful welcome of ahh... the Kelleys, and we immediately made our way to the bar which was open for 10 more minutes! This summer we stayed in one of the renovated rooms. It could not have been more beautifully appointed with lush linens, silk curtains hanging from the 15 foot windows, expresso machine, and probably the best shower in the world. All the rooms in this rather small hotel, however, are so lovely. Some overlook the back of the property where you can see the Atlantic but we found our room equally nice although it did not have a view. The entire property has lovely antiques, portuguese needlepoint rugs and the most beautiful view of the rolling green hills filled with boxwoods and red tiled roofs all the way down to Cascais and the Atlantic ocean.The next morning we made our way to the dining room where the most expansive breakfast buffet was awaiting us. The Portuguese really know how to do this with all kinds of cheeses, salmon, fruits we can't get in the US, along with wonderful breads, egg dishes, sausages and vegetables. That afternoon, we received complimentary champagne, fruits and tarts. Perhpas, because our son had said it was our anniversary or just because they are so nice. They did the same for our son and daughter in law. There are so many things to do in Sintra and the area at large. Palacio de Pena, Quinta da Regaleira, Boca do Inferno and the town of Cascais, shopping for linens and ceramics, eating and enjoying the wine and port, not to mention all the lovely restaurants. The hotel is so close to the town center that you can walk there, although it is a bit windy and the road is very narrow. On the hotel property are horse stables where you can take lessons, a swimming pool and places to walk where you can see lemon trees and huge camellias. Needless to say, it was rather sad to leave that beautiful place. We wholeheartedly recommend this hotel and the area of Sintra as a must for people traveliing to Lisbon. It's only about a 30 to 40 minute drive from the airport. Don't miss this jewel of a trip.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank catherinek48

Dear Catherine,

Reviewed July 6, 2011

Can't go on enough about how fabulous this hotel was. Everything from the friendly staff to the impeccable rooms and gorgeous grounds. It was a magnificent place to stay. The showers were incredible and we would go back there in a heartbeat. Truly a paradise.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family