“Great place to stop and refuel!”
Review of Saudade

Saudade
Ranked #2 of 260 Restaurants in Sintra
Cuisines: Cafe, Soups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Where Cafe Saudade now stands, there used to be housed the historical Queijadas da Mathilde cheesecake factory from 1888 to 1974.These queijadas de Sintra (cheesecakes) were a favorite of King Ferdinand II (who restored the Pena Palace). During the 3rd quarter of the 19th century, the king gave the factory founder a stamp marked Mathilde, to brand the cheesecakes bound for the royal family.The Cafe Saudade was restored and preserved over a year long renovation in 2008 and opened in the summer of 2009. Recycled and regional materials and resources were used to create an environment that authentic. We pride ourselves for this and and for the fact that our team offers the best service they can.The spaces of the old cheesecake factory are today a cultural reference in Sintra's recent historical background. Its preservation allows us a glimpse into the ancient manufacturing process of the typical queijada de Sintra.Wander through the "Saudade Labyrinth" and fall in love with Sintra. Visit our Art Gallery and explore the various rooms with pieces of furniture that we restored with love and care, and in which we have handcrafts for sale. We host literary gatherings, jazz and fado concerts and other cultural activities.
Valencia, Spain
“Great place to stop and refuel!”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stopped here for soup and a sandwich during our 2-day stay in Sintra. A lot of walking means you need to make sure to fuel up to make it through the day. All of the staff speak great English at this place, the food is all homemade from what we could tell and the prices are very normal. We loved stopping here for lunch and the location is just a stone's throw from the train station.

• Visited January 2013

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Malmo, Sweden
“Creat cheesecake and apple cake!”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We read about this café on Tripadvisor and decided to try it out while in Sintra. We were not disappointed. The cheesecake and apple cake was absolutely delicious, and staff were really nice and welcoming. The prices very reasonable. Don't miss this place while in Sintra!

• Visited November 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Awesome!”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My pictures will do a better job explaining the awesome food more than my words will. I'm writing this review a few weeks after going there, and it's making my mouth water again! My wife and I ordered a number of things to split. They were all amazing. Make sure you save room for one of their wonderful deserts. This place is a must-go-to if you are in the area!

• Visited November 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Perfect for a light lunch”
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

This is an excellent place for breakfast or a light lunch, especially if you want a break from heavy portuguese food. I tried the mini salt cod pie as a starter, which was delicious. i had the smoked salmon panini for my main and loved it. It was soooooo yummy! The veggies and sauce were just perfect. I also had the berry cheesecake, which was the best cheesecake I've ever had. Delicious! I am still dreaming about it. I also had the portuguese cafe latte which was a nice large glass and was delicious.

Also, the place is an old cheese factory that has been remodeled beautifully. It's a must see- take a look at the old cheese storage basins they've kept in the back, it's like a museum!

At first look, because it's so nice, it looks like it would be an overpriced, expensive place, but it was actually quite cheap! Definitely a must.

Tucson
“So good we went twice in one day”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We found this cafe through tripadvisor and the reviews were spot on! It was such a charming cafe with the best cup of cappuccino I had on my Portugal/Spain trip, The sandwiches were yummy (and quite large).We asked for boxes from our lunch and ate the leftovers later for dinner at Pena. We then decided to stop back in for dessert and more tea and cappuccino before we ended our day trip to Sintra. The dessert was to DIE for! Prices were very reasonable and the American born Portuguese owner was a doll. Stop by. You won't be disappointed!!

• Visited October 2012