“Fantasico!”
Review of A Raposa

A Raposa
Ranked #18 of 279 Restaurants in Sintra
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: great little place & they do live music on weekends. she doesn't seem to have a web page. here all i found on line : http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://videos.wittysparks.com/id/1241914055/&ei=z6xqTZygE8qr8Ab93s3hCw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCsQ7gEwAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Da%2Braposa%2B%2Bcasa%2Bde%2Bchai%2Bsintra%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DWvS%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26prmd%3Divns
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I had printed off some reviews of this and put it in file for our trip.
I showed it to our traveling companions and we all voted to give it a try.
Rainy day in Sintra and we were up for early dinner/ late lunch after climbing the castle walls. We were the only patrons in the restaurant.
We started with waiter's wine suggestion and were blow so impressed!First a white then a red wine. We ordered four different dishes and all of us were wowed. I had the risotto with I think kumquats, my friends had cod and lamb and I don't recall my husband's choice but we couldn't stop raving.
Deserts were equally good and then the port. Everything the waiter suggested was spot on and we all agreed it was one of the finest dining experiences of our lives. I am not much for expensive, pretentious dining so I avoid it when I can. This was anything but...
it was just excellent food and wine and a fun, fun, fun experience.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We found this restaurant by accident as we stopped to look at a house with beautiful flowers all over it. We looked down a small side street and saw the sign for a tea room and wine, we looked in and were hooked. We made a reservation for that evening. We had the restaurant to ourselves as there was only one other couple. The four of us had very personal service, a nicely paced meal and superior food. A great experience all around! Check it out.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We were recommended to this by our hotel but we were very disappointed by it, especially considering there were other restaurants nearby which were much cheaper and with a much wider menu. Having read all the other reviews here, I can see we're almost alone in our opinion, but nonetheless I will explain why we didn't like it. Firstly there were only four options of main courses and they were all expensive , so we thought we wouldn't bother with a starter as we were expecting a large meal for that price and we'd top up with a desert if we had room. The menu had an English translation, but the waitress didn't speak English, so I attempted to ask for fruit juice with my meal. Confused looks as she went to the kitchen to consult with the cook, then came back and offered Coco-Cola. They appeared to offer nothing else so it was tap water as the only option. (I don't drink alcohol). As I'd had freshly squeezed juices at other cafes I was very disappointed. I went for the cod which was decent enough but very salty and the lack of a cool drink to wash it down with left me feeling thirsty. My wife had the chicken which again was OK but nothing special just fried chicken with cous-cous. The portions weren't very large so we asked for the desert menu -again blank incomprehension as she went off to consult the cook. She came back and said 'chocolate cake -nothing else' as as I'm not fond of chocolate we declined and left. Total for two main courses and one glass of wine - 44 euros. We had a much better meal at O Apeadeiro just down from the station the following night with a good dessert for much less. I think this place is much overrated.

4  Thank alanterr
Reviewed September 16, 2012

If you are looking for a dinner venue in Sintra, the likelihood of your stumbling on this fantastic restaurant are virtually zero. We were also, like a previous reviewer, tipped off to its existence by the manager of our hotel who described it as having " food from the heart". Which indeed it did. Both the wine list and the menu were quite limited but of exceptional quality and the portions of substantial size -- I had the black pork while my partner had the salmon but the bottle of Duoro Valley wine which was recommended went fantastically with both. There were barely any other patrons in the restaurant, leading us to speculate that this restaurant did most of its business during the day as both a wine-tasting venue and at tea time, but far from feeling vacant it simply added to the aura of undiscovered gem. And when the bill came all we could do was exclaim at the really outstanding value, particularly compared to the truly tragic tourist restaurants located by the main square in the historical centre of Sintra.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

We went in here without really knowing what to expect, though the menu seems like serious food. You can't see the interior of the restaurant from the slightly eccentric lobby! Beautiful inside - such care with the decor and the styling of the tables - there were gorgeous tea cups set out, and petals scattered on the tablecloths. The same care went into the food and its presentation. We had fish and chocolate cake. The owner was friendly and helpful - about wine etc - and also had a great sense of humour. We finished our meal with a variety of delicious teas. We spent the whole evening there and it was one of the best and most relaxing meals we had on our holiday.