“It appears you can teach an 'old dog' new tricks...”

Cycling Rentals & Tours
Ranked #1 of 7 Food & Drink in Sintra
More attraction details
Owner description: Join us on a guided or self guided day trip through beautiful Sintra or try our Hassle Free Bike Hire and equipment rental service anywhere in Spain or Portugal. We also offer bespoke self guided Cycling holidays and we are Camino Cycling Specialists offering a range of Camino tour packs and services to take you on your journey to Santiago.
Reviewed April 16, 2013

For a fun and exhilarating day around stunning Sintra, I highly recommend getting on an e-bike. I hadn’t cycled for thirty years, but the uphill assistance the e-bike gives you, made my lack of experience irrelevant, and seeing how keen I was to get to the coast and visit the Cape and Guincho Beach, my friendly and informative guide, Gonçalo, gave me the confidence to cover a fair few km’s with relative ease, and all with a big smile on my face! A big thank you to the Cycling Rentals team…I hope to be back again one day :-)

Cycling-Rentals, Manager at Cycling Rentals & Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Hi Claudia,
We're thrilled you had a great day with Gonçalo and have been kind enough to share your experience with others. We love to hear that you were able to enjoy the hills of Sintra with a smile. Come see us again :)
Didi

"clear instructions"
"local history"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed April 11, 2013

A great experience! The e-bikes even allowed someone as cronically unfit as myself to breeze across the sintra hills with no noise, no fumes, and no sweat

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Firstly, the bikes - they were an absolute revelation!! It was the first time I had used an electric bike, and I was seriously impressed. They glide uphill with no effort whatsoever; the gentlest push and the bike the does all the work. My legs felt as though I had been cycling on the flat, even when the amazing mountain-top views suggested otherwise: We gained a lot of height during the ride, and went up some hills which would normally have killed me, literally without breaking in to a sweat. The bikes are also very silent and discreet - I think most observers didn't realise we were on electric bikes, and we got some stunned looks from puffing walkers, and other cyclists dismounted and hauling their bikes in hand uphill.

Secondly, the circuit was lovely. We did the larger loop, which was very easy to do in the time allocated (4 hours), even with plenty of stops for drinks and photos. The ride took in some dramatic views down to the sea, and passed many amazing old quintas, as well as great views of the castle and palace in Sintra. It was simply beautiful, and with spring sunshine, flowers coming out, and the smell of greenery in the air, it was the perfect time of year for the trip too.

Finally, the organisation was amazing. Cycling Rentals were very well organised, and checked all the bikes and equipment before we set off, offering bike bags for example to anyone who didn't have one. They were very attentive to detail, very caring towards the group, and really instilled confidence. Martin, leading the trip, was a fount of knowledge about the area, and his boundless enthusiasm and open demeanour really helped make the ride enjoyable and fun.

I would highly recommend this trip to anyone who wants to take in the splendour of Sintra without half killing themselves in the process!

Cycling-Rentals, Manager at Cycling Rentals & Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Hi Roving Reporter, thank you for taking the time to write such an in depth review! I am delighted that you enjoy the ride and chose to spread the word here. The E Bike are a faily new project for us and so we are always looking to improve. Thanks again and come back soon! Ride safe, Martin

Reviewed March 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I had a wonderful day with Goncalo. We took the train into Sintra from Lisbon and were picked up and brought to the shop where we were able to leave our things for the day. We stopped to see and walk through the Capuchos Convent, Cape Roca and many others over about 5 hours plus. We had a great variety of biking types. We had to stay on the road for parts, but had great mountain bike adventures off-roading as well (lots of mud!). VERY hilly, so it is not for the weary. THANK YOU again for the great day and extra help in getting our rental and making our way to our place to stay for the night.

Thank you for taking the time to write us up here. We are very happy you had a great day out, we will let Gonçalo know you got in touch. All the best,