“Self-Guided "Tour Do Porto"”

Cycling Rentals & Tours
Ranked #1 of 5 Food & Drink in Sintra
More attraction details
Owner description: Join us on a guided or self guided day trip through beautiful Sintra or try our Hassle Free Bike Hire and equipment rental service anywhere in Spain or Portugal. We also offer bespoke self guided Cycling holidays and we are Camino Cycling Specialists offering a range of Camino tour packs and services to take you on your journey to Santiago.
San Francisco
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Self-Guided "Tour Do Porto"”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I like to see countries by bicycle but aren't really the tour types. I get too much enjoyment out of planning the route and picking the lodgings. We are fairly avid cyclists and have competed in Ironman competitions so we often bite off more than we can chew, but we like the challenge. In any case, this type of travel is fraught with difficulties. First, it’s much easier and often cheaper to rent bicycles rather than bring your own. United airlines charges $150 each way per bike as an example, and then there is the mess of having a bike box with you and having to repackage to get them home, and the unpleasantness of travelling with a bicycle in a big city, which we inevitably fly into and want to see on foot or metro. Once you decide you are going to rent then there is the issue of having to do a loop so you can return the bicycle where you got it. CCTC did away with this restriction as they will deliver and pick up the bikes from any location in Portugal (and Spain). This was a dream come true. We arrived to our hotel in Evora where the bikes were waiting, in cardboard boxes, with minimal assembly required, a set of tools, panniers and our now beloved yellow water bottles. The bikes were the correct fit and would turn out to be exactly what we were looking for- a comfortable yet performance ride (we rented the road bikes). When we arrived at our destination 6 days later we simply bagged up the loose items and left the bikes to be picked up. All of the coordination was done by CCTC, no hassles on our end. A third dilemma of this type of travel is what to do with the extra “stuff” you don’t need on the bike journey, but want before and after to tour around the cities etc. CCTC also took care of this by picking up our backpacks from the hotel where we departed on Day One of our bike trip, and delivering them so that they were there waiting for us when we arrived on our final night. They even offer daily luggage transfer, although we opted not to do that this time as we only had 5 nights. Before the trip, Didi at CCTC answered my incessant questions about logistics and they even reviewed our itinerary for us and gave their opinion about the level of difficulty (although shamefully we didn’t take their advice J ) I can’t say enough about the quality of the bicycles and the services offered by CCTC, and will definitely be back for another adventure soon. This service is the independent cyclist’s dream come true!

Visited November 2012

• Polish first
Nijeveen, Drenthe, Netherlands
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“No sweat Sintra day tour by E-bike.”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We had a beautiful day peddling along the small and quiet roads through the picturesque villages and lush woods around the great hill-station of Sintra! Although we normally like to use our own power during our cycle-holidays in France, we enjoyed being "pushed" up the hills by the motor. The E-bike convinced us! Owners are very nice people.

Visited December 2012
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Cycling the Camino from Leon to Santiago”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My recent cycling Camino from Leon to Santiago was such an enjoyable experience and made more so by Cycling Rentals supplying me with an excellent and trustworthy bike and making the process of delivery and collection so easy and straightforward.

The sizing was perfect and the bike was very comfortable and as I only had one puncture on the second to last day, I felt very confident with its roadworthiness the whole ride. Going up hills, even with heavy panniers was manageable with good gear changes and coming down, the breaks were excellent.

Visited October 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A Glorious Way to Tour”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My daughter and I spent a fabulous day touring on bicycles around Sintra and this was absolutely one of the highlights of our visit to Portugal. Didi of Cycling Rentals met us at the train station in Sintra, drove us to the bike shop, and the staff outfitted us with excellent bicycles and helmets. Our guide, Goncalo, was fantastic and very knowledgeable, and adapted the ride to our interests and abilities. The scenery around Sintra is spectacular and well worth a visit. I cannot say enough good things about the professional, friendly, and helpful staff. I would recommend this company without hesitation.

Visited October 2012
New Zealand
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesome service, great bike”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I had a really great experience with Cycling Rentals. They were awesome. I recommend them guys over Bike Iberia, at least based on the quality of the bikes on offer. I went to check out Bike Iberia´s bikes and they weren't that good. The ¨road bike¨ was a heavy thing with a luggage rack. Cycling Rentals has really nice bikes and they thought of everything - maps, even lunch recommendations. My ride around Sintra was one of the best days of my holiday so far. Excellent service. Highly recommended.

Visited August 2012