Travelled with my wife and kids to the Marriott in Praia del rey. I played some golf at both Praia del rey and Royal Obidos which is only a few minutes away but my review is based more as a holiday with kids (6, 5 and 1).
In terms of the plus's from our stay you would have to say as many of the other reviews have noted its located on a lovely coastline with spectacular views and amazing sunsets. The staff we found very friendly and helpful, while our rooms were very comfortable.
That said there are quite a few negatives - Very pricey to eat and drink at the hotel - the prices seem to be based on the fact that you have really limited options unless you drive 20mins or more away. However my biggest disappointment from the trip was that I didn't realise beforehand that the sea next the hotel was really dangerous to swim in with strong rip currents - great surfing conditions but its not a safe beach to go for a swim in and hard to walk long distances on the sand - there are however plenty of safe beaches within a 20min drive towards Peniche - but for the convenience of walking from your hotel for a swim in the sea it was a let down. For the kids there was a small playground 1km away but there is an excellent kids club with the staff absolutely fantastic. Babysitting is charged at a ridiculous rate of €27 /hr which is hard to understand.
Overall I would agree with a lot of other reviewers that would question whether or not this is a five star hotel due to the poor surrounding infrastructure and overpriced / limited menu options which bring this back. Ultimately if you've got a good rate and like to play golf you'll really enjoy this location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Can you imagine a luxury hotel, worthy of a capital city, but overlooking a sandy beach on one of Europe's most serene and natural coastlines? Visualize the luxury rooms, the gorgeous food, the personalized service and the soft rumble of the ocean. Imagine no longer. You are at the Praia D'El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort, just 45 minutes from Lisbon. The hotel offers 156 deluxe rooms, 12 premium ocean-view rooms, 8 suites and junior suites, and 1 presidential suite. Within these rooms there are 22 which have communicating doors and can host a maximum of 3 adults per room. At the Praia D’El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort you will feel right at home. Whether having a light snack, a romantic dinner or a family meal, the hotel can accommodate your needs in one of our restaurants. The Tempera Restaurant is an all-day restaurant offering a Portuguese & Mediterranean menus combined with daily thematic buffets. Our fine dining restaurant, Romy is set in a truly romantic environment and has an extensive choice of wines and champagnes. Light meals can be enjoyed together with beautiful views at the recently renovated Lobby Bar, Contato. The hotel also offers 24 hour room service. Cuisine is taken very seriously at the Praia D’El Rey Marriott and our Chefs take great pride and pleasure in their creations, ensuring you savour the very best. From signature local dishes to mouth-watering international delicacies, you will definitely be spoiled by the selection offered. A perfect ending to another perfect day at the Praia D’El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort. Praia D’El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort is dedicated to providing you with a sense of total wellbeing. A state of the art fitness centre is available for your workout, including an indoor heated pool, outdoor pool, Jacuzzi and Turkish bath. Also available is the Kalyan SPA where you can choose a relaxing or invigorating massage, beauty treatments such as facials, manicures and pedicures, or try exotic body polishing, hydrotherapy and reflexology. Whatever your preference, the options are endless. Wireless internet is free in all the Hotel areas. The Praia d'El Rey Marriott hotel is located within the premises of the famous Praia d'El Rey Resort that includes a 18 holes golf course, golf and tennis academy, two restaurants - Club House and Mare - with magnificient golf course and Ocean views, a mini market and villas, townhouses and apartments to rent out. Discover, the Real Portugal! Our resort is conveniently located half way between the Fishermans village of Peniche and the medieval Obidos town, at approximately 15 minutes distance by car. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Marriott, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Hotel.de so you can book your Praia D'El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Praia d`El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Hotel Obidos
- Praia d`El Rey Marriott Golf And Beach Resort
- Marriott Obidos
- Obidos Marriott