“nice place in the heart of Obidos”

Casal Da Eira Branca
Ranked #1 of 21 Obidos B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I stayed here for two nights as a solo traveler and I had a very nice stay. The place is located centrally, inside the walls, which means that you can not drive directly to it. I parked my car and was able to find the signs to it fairly easily. I carried my own bags in but they did offer to ride out to my car and pick up my luggage on their electric bicycle. I declined as I was traveling light (but I was curious to see this bike!).

The room was spacious and clean. I stayed in Quarto do Facho, which had a good sized twin bed, and a loft with a single. My big tests for any room is the bed and the shower. Both were very good. The water pressure I think is better here than in my home. The only complaint would be the cold. I was traveling in December, and they were having a freakish cold spell (the coldest in 10 years I was told) and even with the heat cranked, it was a bit cold in the room. However, they did take steps to make us comfortable. There were extra rugs put down over the tiles in the room, and for breakfast they rolled out portable heating units for the guests. In the summer, though, this would not be an issue.

The staff was very warm and engaging and I think this was a very good guest house for the region. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Casal da Eira Branca is a truly unique experience! If you expect a modern, chic place...go somewhere else.
If you want personalized treament in an extremely quaint and family environment then this is the perfect spot!
Casal da Eira Branca is set in old houses most likely dating back to the times the castle was built.
We were a group of 7 that occupied 2 doubles and one triple.
We were greeted by André (?) He was so delightful and helpful. He checked us in and showed us to our rooms. Our room was not the largest but it was extremely quiet, with a comfortable bed, great wifi, and flat screen TV.
Our friends with the triple really lucked out! They got a complete floor just for them, a complete apartment with kitchen, living room with good sized TV and computer with internet, 2 bedrooms (1 double and 1 with 2 sigle beds) It was great!
There are little courtyards between the houses and other interesting nooks.
The morning breakfast is basic but very abundant, the young lady who was organizing the kitchen offered to make us eggs to our taste (which we definitely accepted).
Staying inside the castle walls in Óbidos is a unique experience, it is definitely quiet and you get an inexplicable feeling of being totally safe.
I would very much recomend Casal da Eira Branca if you are planning to stay inside the castle walls!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank AH-Terceira
Reviewed October 9, 2013

A lovely B&B right in the center of the old town. There is your first problem, getting luggage there is difficult but they do offer to help with the bags. Once there the rooms are spacious, clean and well fitted out.Two lovely young people running the place, nothing too much trouble, with excellent English. My best breakfast in Portugal because the young girl made fried or scrambled eggs to order, unheard of in Portugal. Worth staying just for that!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank david o
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Nice hotel. Good beds, friendly staff, but definitely not professionally trained. That may be considered an asset and charming in a way, but this also proved tiring sometimes during the stay.

The hotel is built in the old town and is very authentic with big walls. Every room is different and has a charm of its own.

I loved my stay but if you are used to the choice in for example breakfast and other conveniences in a 4/5 star hotel you may be disappointed.

If you look for a romatic, authentic place with value for money i do recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank folberts
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We loved this hotel in Obidos, which is a beautiful city in central Portugal. The rooms were large and unique. The staff was very helpful, and the location was perfect. Definitely recommend to visit the city and to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013

What a beautiful location for a very welcoming and lovely small hotel. A traditional whitewashed building in the centre of an old medieval town in the heart of Portugal. We arrived at Obidos railway station to find it totally deserted. When we phoned the hotel they quickly arranged for a taxi to come and collect us. This was needed as Obidos is situated on the top of a steep hill. The taxi is allowed to enter the city and so was able to drop us very close to the hotel, but a private car would have to park outside the walls so the walk here, with bags, would be interesting. Arriving at the hotel we were made very welcome by the owner and his young, excellent assistant who both made us feel very welcome. The room we were given was large and very comfortable. Decorated in a traditional Portuguese style we had a bedroom and two spacious sitting area. The rooms were clean and well maintained and very comfortable. Breakfast was cooked to order and was ample and tasty. We were given excellent advice on our next travel plans, all through our stay the hotel staff were anxious to make sure that our stay would be a very enjoyable one and they succeeded. The hotel is very well positioned to explore Obidos and the area. It is certainly excellent value for money. We will definitely come back to Obidos when next in Portugal, and most definitely stay here!

Room Tip: Go for the Dormida Quarto Duplo.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RedcoatEngland
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I thought the property was lovely and unique. Also, the young woman who was working there (and cooking breakfast) was very helpful and friendly. Our biggest complaint was that we were given a basement room that was somewhat damp and musty. I didn't have an opportunity to see the other rooms but I suspect that the rooms within the main house are nicer.

Make sure you have very specific directions on where to park the car outside the walls of Obidos because we found this a bit confusing.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple