“Outstanding new course !”

Royal Obidos Golf Course
More attraction details
Owner description: The 18 hole championship golf course designed by Seve Ballesteros has magnificent golf and Atlantic ocean views, a clubhouse with pro shop, restaurant, bar, members' lounge and a large terrace with incredible views over the golf course and the ocean.
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I don't know if this was one of Seve's last projects but he's certainly designed a course that I'm sure will become very well known in years to come.

Having seen the course take shape over the past few years I played it for the first time in September 2012 and it was a real treat. From the moment I arrived at the superb clubhouse I was made to feel extremely welcome by all the staff and was particularly impressed when I was greeted by name at my first tee (I started on the 10th) and given lots of information about the course, location of water coolers, toilets etc. by the course ranger. He knew my handicap (8) and gave me the option of playing off the White or Yellow tees.

I decide to go off the yellow tees as the course is almost 6500 yards off these (over 7000 yards off the whites) and I think it will be a real challenge for most players even off these tees. Many of the holes have water hazards, particularly around the greens, with few 'bail out' options so you have to be very sure about your distances. A few of the par 4's appear to have very little trouble on them but don't be fooled as the raised greens again require accurate approaches or you'll be faced with very difficult pitches.

This was a very enjoyable course from start to finish and one that I definitely want to play again. Difficult to pick a favourite hole but the par 4 14th provides a really challenging second shot over water, even after a good drive, and if you survive that, the 15th is another strong par 3, again over water!

I had a snack after the round and went back for dinner with my wife twice and we both thought the food and service were excellent. Although golf clubs will always be more expensive than the local Portuguese restaurants in the area we felt Royal Obidos was very good value for money particularly compared to the nearby Praia del Rey clubhouse where we've been many times.

1  Thank 325JohnC325
in 32 reviews
"courses"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I think we'll be hearing a lot more about this Golf Course in years to come. For a course so young it was in fantastic condition with an interesting and fun layout. There are some very demanding approaches with several greens having significant water carries. This course would certainly test the Pro's let alone your average golfer. Fantastic course not only for it's potential but what it offers now. The Staff were very friendly and the Clubhouse well located with stunning views. Well worth a visit!

Reviewed August 17, 2012

One of my most enjoyable rounds of golf ever! This course has everything. Every hole has a beauty and a challenge of it's own. For me just perfect! Will be back for more, especially that 2nd hole!

1  Thank bertiesmile19
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My son and I love this course. It is very challenging for high handicappers but the satisfaction you get by meeting the challenges is wonderful. Even though I usually loose a half dozen balls trying shots that I shouldn't I still want to come back.

1  Thank ADRUK
See more reviews
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Excellent golf course with very fast greens and challenging holes. Lots of water hazards; at least 8 of the holes have water in play. It is about 6,500 yards long off the yellow tees.
Long walks between the greens and the next tees and on a very hot day it would be advisable to take a buggy!
The first impression of the course is not good because it is surounded by open dusty ground which has been prepared for the development of villas. Was windy bothe times we played the course which added to the challenge.