“Hotel in perfect location”

Albergaria Rainha Santa Isabel
Ranked #18 of 22 Obidos B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We received a very warm welcome and were very impressed with the decoration and furniture, which were in keeping with the atmosphere of the surrounding medieval area. Our room was very good and the ensuite facilities were excellent. The hotel was extremely central, but be warned, the narrow street is full of people ambling along and gazing at the many shops, so it means a very cautious drive. We did find the pillows were so flat that they were no use at all. My daughter and her husband had a good room too but their bed was so solid, combined again with flat pillows that they didn't get a good night's sleep. This was a shame as it is a charming venue. The lounge area was extremely well furnished. The breakfast room, leading off it, was fine. It was not an extensive menu, but there was plenty of what was there and it was possible to help yourself to as much as you wanted. The card machine was not working, but this was not the hotel's fault, as they had contacted the suppliers several times. The receptionist was most apologetic.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue O

Reviewed September 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night, to attend the Medieval festival on a weekend. We really liked the hotel. It´s on the main street of the town. So easy to find. Yes, the furniture and style of the hotel is antique, but I think that that´s the idea. It´s a medieval town, surrounded by castle walls, so in my opinion, the hotel´s decoration fits perfectly!
We had a queen size bed with ensuite bathroom and breakfast included. Everything was very clean. The room was spacious enough and had a good sized closet, with a safe inside. It also had a portable heater/ar con. although we didn´t use it, just like we didn´t use the (empty) minibar. The outdated tv had cable but terrible image!
The hotel has an elevator right after the reception desk. People at the reception were very nice and helpfull. They could of have a warning sign for those that wanted to pay with a card (like me), since the machine was out of order. Had to go to the ATM to get money to pay at checkout.
Breakfast could have been better though. Didn´t have much to choose from, but at least it was presented in a nice dining room and no one is serving you, so you can help youself with as much as you like.
If ever returning to Óbidos to spend the night, would definitly stay again at this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the main street to avoid all the street noise on summer nights (if you´re a light...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank janicamachado
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Wonderful location in the middle of the main street of the town, but that's where it ended. Rooms were extremely dark, with very limited lighting - impossible to read at night or even to see well in the day time. Our mattress seemed to have been made of stone. . Desk was less than friendly (e.g. insisting on retaining passports until keys and remotes were returned). Breakfast was meagre, but worse, the dining area was so filled with flies that we couldn't stay in the room - and the respons of the management was "that's the way it is." When we went to check out, we were informed that their credit card machine was down and they insisted on cash. When we refused and suggested they take down the information and process the credit cards later, the machine suddenly came back to life. If you want a convenient place to stay for one night, this may be OK, particularly given the location. But for anything longer, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AZTraveler03
Reviewed October 18, 2010

The hotel is cozy and nice. The location is perfect. Right in the the center of the historic town on the main street. Rooms are big and comfortable. The standard Portuguese breakfast is included. We were disturb by flies all the time having breakfast. This was quite a drawback. Wi-Fi at the hotel was not working as well as the PC at the communal area. The staff was even trying to fix something and
just said – “A, we know there is a problem. Something will work tomorrow”. Quite a relieve for one night stay.
When you arrive by car, don’t even think about getting into town with it. Park outside the walls and get into historic town. It takes about
15 minutes to get to hotel from the main gate. We left our luggage in the car and just took some necessary things within the backpack.
The parking outside is paid one, but if you continue 100-200 meters left from the main gate, you find a free parking on the both sides of the road.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank IgorZet
Reviewed May 31, 2010

The hotel is very nice and the staff and helpful. The location is the selling point here as you are smack in the center of the historic town. With this, however, is the cost of the location. Just like restaurants in Obidos, hotels charge a high price. Breakfast is included and it's standard Portuguese fare. Wi-fi at the hotel was problematic and I gave up trying. One tip for people arriving by car. Rent the smallest one possible. It's a real skill getting into the historic center. All in all, a good place, albeit on the high-price side.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Neal R
Reviewed January 11, 2009

This is a wonderful and cozy hotel located right in the center of Obidos. Since it´s a medieval village, it´s the best place to stay and explore it. The rooms are big, with confortable beds and nice bathrooms. The building is more like an historical palace well preserved. The breakfast is delicious and staff very friendly. If you arrive by car, the only thing to worry is how to get to the hotel, cause the streets are very narrow and drivers must be careful. But there´s a small parking area near the hotel and it was not a problem.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 1, 2006

I should note that I'd give the rooms and breakfast a 4 out of 5, and the location a 5/5.

We made it to Obidos, and parked at the TI to walk into the city to get to the hotel (Albergaria Rainha Santa Isabel). We got the directions and a very unclear map, and then walked back to get the car. You can't park in the city without a pass from the hotel. This began a series of unfortunate events. The hotel receptionist said that it would take a few minutes…we arrived back about 1.5 very frustrating hours later! The map provided by the hotel was awful, we were not clear on how to get into the walls (i.e., that place looks so narrow, what person in their right mind would ever try to enter it…but wait, that’s a car coming through it! Folks, I’ve never seen anything like it. I’m sure that you’ll go and drive and it won’t be a problem at all, but I’ll convey that I’d do it differently in the future). Maybe it was the jet lag, maybe it was me, whatever. I'll admit that we got stuck in a pedestrian-only street and had to be assisted by multiple friendly locals!

We arrived back at the hotel, and the receptionist said “you certainly had a lot of difficulty; most people don’t have any problems”. As we explained where we parked the car, the woman said “by the church? there are a hundred churches in Obidos”. Granted, perhaps we were frustrated and tired and maybe the receptionist had a bad day, but it really felt like the receptionist was not even attempting to be helpful at all and that really influenced how I saw the hotel. I might feel differently if Silvia had been our receptionist initially. Silvia was extremely helpful in providing directions, explaining directions or recommendations, and very patient with answering our questions. Silvia explained how to drive in/out of the city, and gave us more specific instructions…what I really liked about Silvia is that she took the time to care and explain, even if it was a little more difficult for her. Incidentally, Silvia speaks fluent English (as did the other receptionist), which was really helpful to me as I don't speak Portuguese.

The room at the Albergaria Rainha Santa Isabel was clean and relatively spacious. The location is terrific; it can’t be beat in Obidos if you want to stay inside the walls. There is a small lift (elevator) which can be used, but there are a few steps up to the elevator, which may be a concern if you are worried about steps. The bathroom was very clean and beautifully tiled in the blue and white tiles typical of Portgual. We had a tub with a hand-held shower, a safe, and a mini-fridge. Our room overlooked the Rua Direita (main street) and had a nice view. The breakfast was simple and satisfying (coffee, yogurt, cold cuts of ham and cheese, and orange juice) and served in a beautiful dining room by a friendly woman between 8 and 10 a.m..

Another thing to note. The folks at the Albergaria Rainha Santa Isabel (receptionists) are required to stay in the hotel overnight (unpaid) and are allowed to go to a “sleeping room” after 12 a.m. on weeknights and I think 2 a.m. on weekends. Maybe that’s typical other places, I’m not in the travel industry, but in my humble opinion/philosophy, if you have to be somewhere for work, you’re on the clock and should be paid. This is loosely enforced and followed. My husband called one night at 11:45 p.m., and was told “reception is closed” (incidentally by the same unhelpful receptionist) without further explanation. In fact, she had probably already gone to her room and didn’t have the capability to transfer calls from that room.

The staff at the Albergaria Rainha Santa Isabel, other than the one person that I’ve been referring to often, was very helpful and kind. I’ve stayed in many b&bs and what not, and I’m very flexible, patient, and understanding, but I’ve got to say, I probably wouldn’t stay at the Albergaria Rainha Santa Isabel again. Some of it is the philosophy that I described above, however, I’ll admit that a lot of it was the unhelpful receptionist. Fair? Maybe not.

3  Thank SmileySnowman