“VIP grand hotel Lisbon”

Ranked #212 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Rajithangani
Sri Lanka

I was here for 5 days, some of the receptionists were very shroud. And I specially mentioned I need coffee and tea making facility in the room. There weren't anything. the breakfast was woeful. Every day it's the same. Staff are trying to hire cars by force and they slowly go to the person and tell them to take us. Big round and to charge a big amount,
I don't know how this hotel came a five star hotel.
Nothing is good in this hotel for me. I never recommend anybody to stay in a place like this.

Room Tip: I cannot recommend a single room here.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank TripAdviser71Colombo

Reviewed October 24, 2013

The VIP Grand is a very modern hotel, but lacks the charm of the older buildings in Lisbon. It is located outside the historical centre. However, it is only about a 6 Euro cab ride to the centre so not too far out. The lobby is stark. The rooms are modest in size but comparable to other large city hotels such as in Paris. On the other hand, our room was very quiet, facing an inner courtyard. The bath is very modern, perhaps too much so as the workings of the faucets was confusing. The room was mostly tiled floor (great) but some carpet that was a bit old and marked up. The breakfast (included) was good, with a fabulous array of the pastries Lisbon does so well. Service was excellent.

Room Tip: It is quieter facing the inner courtyard.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2013

There is no way in hell this could be considered a 5-star hotel, not with the shockingly bad food and service.

My friend and I ate at the Cenario restaurant one late Friday evening. Somehow, the waiter(s)...a trainee and a senior(?) were in the weeds with a total of 8 customers in what looked like a 40-50 seater. The service was slow, forgetful and haphazard.

We waited for menus and eventually had to ask three times. We received one menu for two people. We had to ask for the wine list. We asked for olives and bread....three times. We asked for sparkling water...three times. They were personable and friendly, just not very good at the basics.

My friend ordered salmon in puff pastry. I ordered spaghetti with shrimp. The salmon fillet was (like most fillets) thicker on one side than the other. Due to the kitchen's obvious problems with timing, my friend's salmon was raw on the thicker side of the fillet. My shrimp were overcooked and rubbery.

The only positive thing that I would say is that the trainee waiter provided us with an excellent suggestion for a reasonably priced Portuguese white wine: Dona Ermelinda Branco.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank CanadianSwissMiss
Reviewed October 10, 2013

1. in a 5 star hotel & Spa, the spa should be for free in my opinion 2. for a two night stay, we moved twice to a new room. broken airco in the 1st and a leakage in the second 3. our complaints were not handled while we were away during the day and not transmitted with staff shifts at the reception. Therefore we had to arrange a new room at 12PM. 4. they promised that the manager would leave a message for us , the next morning with checkout Again the new staff shift at the reception didn't have the information and were not aware of our compaints. the manager also didn't leave a message.5. We've send the hotel a mail with our complaint and they didn't react to our complaint. 6. we cannot understand that tripadvisor gave them an award in 2013. The bathrooms were dirty, towels were not folded and the carpets (in all three rooms) were nasty and stained. PRETTY OK FOR A 3 STAR HOTEL, BUT WE PAID FOR A 5 STAR, RELAXING STAY, WHICH WE DID NOT RECEIVE.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Evie T
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We admittedly took a quick fix, due to the weather, via Booking.com and ended up paying around €160+ for three nights. I do not know whether it was because we took a cheap option but the room we were put in was definitely in need of refurbishment/refreshment - the toilet seat was broken (it was replaced after we requested action), the shower area was stained and we actually had brown water one day - also the water pressure was not good - we were on the 10th floor. The staff were very helpful when we arrived - but if I go to a five star hotel I expect five star treatment. The breakfast - we took one one only - 20€ per person, OK if you are someone who can eat at that level - we needed coffee and a pastry at the minmum. The next days we used the coffee shop across the road for around 6 € - excellent coffee and cake!

Room Tip: Don't think with 5*'s you get that quality on a special offer - you do not!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marloye
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Our group stayed here for 3 nights and found it a very accommodaing hotel where the reception staff were helpful and pleasant. The reception area and bar are smartly decorated. The bar wasnt expensive and just the place to meet on your way out or returning back... Didnt have dinner here but the menu looked ok and the breafast was good....Rooms were good and clean.. no probs. The location albeit a metro or cab ride away from the main areas was fine, the Metro is approx 400 metres away.. two stops and your in the centre... Taxi for 6... city centre to hotel was 10 Euros... I would agree with others that this is not 5 star and perhaps 4 / 3 is more appropriate.. but overall no problems and would consider using again.

Room Tip: Good hotel but being a metro ride away from the centre and if you dont enjoy walking far then its pe...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2013

OK, I wasn't really expecting five star given the price I got it for on a special offer but there were some really disappointing aspects to my stay here that would stop me returning even if I won it in a competition with £1000 spending money thrown in.

The rooms are comfortable and have a "boutique trendy" feel to them although on close inspection the furniture has seen better days. Also contrary to what is on the website there is free Wi-Fi in the rooms as well as in the public areas. So far so good but now to the bad bits which on reflection can all be put down to one thing - too few staff most of whom are probably doing their best but are so overworked that they appear helpless, hapless or hopeless. I wondered whether they are getting any support from management as there was no sign of any "top floor" personnel at any stage of our stay.

The first problem started when we checked into our room and after a long journey felt the need of a cup of tea. Despite advertising tea and coffee making facilities in the room, there was no sign of any cups or kettle. We searched aimlessly for a while thinking it might be discreetly hidden in a boutique nook or cranny but to no avail so I decided to call reception. As there was no indication on either the phone or the guest information what number to call, I tried 9 for the operator three times without a reply. So I came down to reception (12 floors) and asked why I couldn't get through. The girl, obviously harassed, replied quite indignantly that she couldn't answer the phone because she was so busy! Anyway we got the kettle and cups - along with 3 teabags and an industrial amount of sugar. The cups and sugar disappeared the next day but at least they left the kettle!

Next feeling a bit peckish and too tired to go outside restaurant hunting we decided to try the hotel restaurant. Now we didn't have great expectations - edible if slightly overpriced food would have done us - but what we got was simply astonishing. Despite an attractive menu on display outside we were told on entering that only a buffet was available for 20 Euros a head. This consisted of salad and soup starter which was varied and OK although I had to ask the waiter for a soup bowl. The real shocker was the main course. We had to open up covered dishes to get access to some indeterminate scraps of meat and fish there was also a selection of Indian snacks, vegetables, rice and pasta. Everything was stone cold. Now I am not normally one to complain but I just had to call the waiter over and demand to see the manager. Some time later a very young girl showed up who appeared to be at a higher level than the waiter but didn't appear to have much more authority. She was very apologetic and couldn't disagree about the quality of food that was on our plates (we refused to allow them to be cleared from the table) but she was unable to offer any explanation or try to resolve the situation. I make a token payment for the drinks and salad we had consumed and left. So I would advise anyone, no matter how hungry to avoid this restaurant despite the blandishments about it "delighting your senses" with its "show cooking" displayed throughout the establishment. We went to the bar instead and had cheese and ham toasties (it would take a culinary genius to mess that up!) which were OK but took forever to arrive. As a result we stayed away from the breakfast areas so can't report on how good or bad that was.

On our second day my wife wanted to iron a few clothes that had got a bit wrinkled during travel. We didn't expect an iron in the room but had seen a member of staff taking one to another room. So I dialled 9 for reception ( they answered promptly this time!) and asked to borrow an iron only to be told "that is not possible". I have never come across such a response in any hotel I have stayed in before so, recovering from my shock, I enquired the reason for this only to be told that there was only one iron in the entire hotel (14 floors 250+ bedrooms) and another guest had borrowed it yesterday! I told the receptionist that that was ridiculous and he agreed with me.

Finally as we were leaving on a late flight we arranged to leave our bags at reception but were a bit disconcerted to find they were simply left beside the reception desk rather than put into the luggage room only 2 feet away. The staff were genuinely surprised that we insisted they were stored more securely.

We used a lot of taxis during our stay and staff were consistently helpful in securing them. The bar area was also quite pleasant to sit in. We left the room at unpredictable times and it was always meticulously cleaned on our return.

Overall not a good experience from the service and food aspect alone - Portuguese Tourism should be examining this establishment and removing at least two of its stars.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple