“Open on Monday nights!”

Assuka
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We had eaten here last year and since then the restaurant has moved a little down the street to a bigger premises.
The waiting staff all looked familar from our last visit and were pleasant though not particularly friendly. Perhaps if we spoke more Portuguese, our experience would have been better.
Having said that, service was prompt and the food was perfectly fine.
Many restaurants are closed on Monday nights, and this was convenient to where we were staying and we were too lazy to go any further.
Apparently it's one of the best Japanese restaurants in Lisbon. Not having been to any of the other Japanese restaurants in Lisbon, I can't say if this is true.
It does seem a little lacking in atmosphere.
This review is sounding more negative than I really mean it to be. If you're looking for Japanese food in this area, then this is the place for you. I'm just not sure that I would return here if it wasn't convenient for our hotel.
It's perfectly fine, but don't expect to be amazed.

Reviewed October 7, 2010

Very nice restaurant, apparently considered to be the 3rd best
japonese in the country. The chefs are japonese though none of the waiters are. The Sushi was superb and the service was also quite good. Although hidden in which quite street the place was rapidly full. Overall a very good place for a meal.

1  Thank StreetGuru
Reviewed July 2, 2010

After having a hard time trying to decide between Assuka and Ken-ichi I finally chose Assuka. The place was quite full and busy and I sat down with high hopes. But as I read the menu over and over, nothing seemed truly interesting. Their specials were typical basic Japanese fare, tonkatsu and the like...
As I could not decide I finally chose the bento-box. It was quite ok, the best part being the yakitori skewers, but the amount of tenpura was quite too dominating. Northing special here.
For some strange reason they spoiled their green tea ice cream by some strawberry sauce which surely was from a bottle.
The service was quite attentive, but I found some instructions made by my waiter a teeny bit patronising.
Expensive for the quality of food and service.

Reviewed May 11, 2010

As its 2 former awards recognise (07/08 Sabado & BCBM "Good Beds & Meals"), Assuka serves up excellent quality Japanese food. Service is attentive and food preparation is prompt and well displayed. I chose the degustation menu box (Japanese aficionados will know this as Makanouchi Bento), it was huge and good value. Starting with freshly prepared Miso soup, the broth made just right (not too salty like some make it), the box contained: the best gyoza (dumplings) I've ever had, perfect tempura (and in the correct light tempura batter !), a fresh salad, some sushi rolls, rice, and three meat dishes, and appropriate sauces. I struggled to finish it. A wide a la carte menu also offers good choices of Sushi/Sashimi, tempuras, and Yakis. Surprised to find it open Monday night and obviously popular with locals, at 11pm as I left some people were just ordering and the restaurant was still 80% full. A little hard to find in so much as the location is central but obscure. Use TA map to guide you ! It's a short walk from Saldanha, Picoas and Parque metro stations, or local hotels Zenit, Sheraton, Turim Europa just head downhill on Viriato St and then uphill at St.Sebastian Pedreira (you'll see a cream marble bridge ahead/overhead, Assuka is just before it on the right)

Reviewed May 5, 2010

This restaurant was one of the highlights of our trip - my friends and I went there twice during a 5 day stay in Lisbon. It's about a 5 minute walk from the metro and their sushi and sashimi are truly outstanding. You should also make a point of having their tonkatsu and their cold sake. A definite must visit on your trip to Lisbon.