“It's worth it”

Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed February 21, 2014

The queue is long but you don't have to join it. Just head inside and it's not too difficult to get a table. I was served very quickly. The pasteis de Belem tarts were warm, fresh from oven and most of all, they were delicious. It was the right texture, creamy and not too sweet. You can sprinkle some cinnamon powder on top of it for more flavour but it was already great by itself. The tart crust has many layers and they were really crispy. Nothing beats coffee and tarts after visiting the monastery. It's the best I've tasted so far and reasonably priced. If you're in Lisbon, you must try it.

Write a ReviewReviews (36,331)

Reviewed February 19, 2014

I am foodie through and through, but when I saw the lineup I was not sure I could wait, even after reading all the rave reviews. Well I did wait and I am so very glad I did. The Pastel de Nata were amazing. As a side note, I did travel the entire country and after having them from here I was disapointed at every other stop.

Do yourself a favour and take the time to make this stop.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

The pastries were even better than I imagined! I tried them at other bakeries in Lisbon and Porto and they did not even compare. The lines were long, but it is usually faster if you sit down and not order to go. The inside is huge, so it is easier to get a table then to order the pastries to go.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

The pastries were delicious, the atmosphere very vibrant. Only negative was that the queues were quite long and we had to wait outside for quite a while. Very interesting to get to know the history and traditions behind this historical shop.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

The pastries are good but you have to wait in line a lot and they have small size tea, so we chose to drink the tea next to them at the only Starbucks in the area, as far as we saw