“Lovely little spot for locals”
Review of Ze Varunca

Ze Varunca
Ranked #2,540 of 4,183 Restaurants in Lisbon
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Monmouth Beach, New Jersey
“Lovely little spot for locals”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I read about Ze Varunca in Travel & Leisure and it sounded wonderful - not touristy, very authentic, simple, yet excellent food. It was all that and more. So charming, with Portuguese ceramics adorning the tables. Our only mistake is that we went at 8:30pm (on a Monday), and it doesn't fill up until after 9pm. But we didn't mind being the first ones there - there are only 10 tables, so we were assured of a reservation.

Visited August 2013

watsonville, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just right if you want to feel like a local -- and eat like one!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is a small not very expensive restaurant with an Alentajo menu. The staff speaks some English but basically this place is not for tourists. To the reviewer who felt the staff was rude, they had tables they were reserving for neighborhood folks and didn't want to give them to you -- you might not like that but the neighborhood folks come back and you are just passing through. I had a reservation and although I was on my own and occupying a table that couldn't had two, they honored the reservation and were perfectly polite to me.

The service was slow; I think they were cooking each dish individually. I was happy sipping my wine and eating my yummy appetizers and watching the families at the other tables. A mellow evening with good food.

• Visited June 2013
New York City, New York
“Best meal of my stay”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Got a recommendation from a local friend and was more than satisfied. Went back in 2012 so I can't remember exactly what sort of grilled meat I got but it was succulent and memorably flavored. The server was a very sweet young woman who spoke enough English to figure out what we needed.

• Visited October 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Great little place”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is my 2nd time here as a tourist to Lisbon. This time for lunch and the food is very good albeit a bit expensive for a simple lunch. The portion size I noticed is smaller than when I went for dinner but I guess that's expected. Family run restaurant which is always a plus!

Anything is better than the tourist themed restaurants not far from this place.

Book in advance if you can as it's really small.

• Visited April 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“rude”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Small place, maybe 10 tables, so we knew that we might not be able to get a table. A couple of tables with people, a couple of tables with 'reserved' signs, so I ask the server/host for a table for 4, and she spits out "NO" accompanied by a cutting motion with her hands.

Thanks for the heads up on how you treat customers. We were happy to walk out, and have a lovely evening at the nearby Quebra Mar restaurant.

• Visited March 2013