“Great little place”

Ranked #3,298 of 4,420 Restaurants in Lisbon
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is my 2nd time here as a tourist to Lisbon. This time for lunch and the food is very good albeit a bit expensive for a simple lunch. The portion size I noticed is smaller than when I went for dinner but I guess that's expected. Family run restaurant which is always a plus!

Anything is better than the tourist themed restaurants not far from this place.

Book in advance if you can as it's really small.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Small place, maybe 10 tables, so we knew that we might not be able to get a table. A couple of tables with people, a couple of tables with 'reserved' signs, so I ask the server/host for a table for 4, and she spits out "NO" accompanied by a cutting motion with her hands.

Thanks for the heads up on how you treat customers. We were happy to walk out, and have a lovely evening at the nearby Quebra Mar restaurant.

1  Thank lomimu
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Ze Varunca is very small, very traditional and very good.

It's old-fashioned in all the right ways - simple, delicious food, charming atmosphere and friendly service. The staff don't speak English and the dishes are all local / Alentejo fare. You just have to muddle through - it's worth it. I tried English, French and Italian. No go there but I had a wonderful evening.

If you want modern, glossy and fashionable, don't go here. Tourists get a warm welcome but it seems set up for locals. That's a major plus for me though.

Amazing starters, all quite heavy hearty stuff. We had 5 (!) and enjoyed them all. You pick what you want and pay for what you take.

Definitely get coffee - the way it's served is so cool. You will never have had it presented to you as they do here.

Drinks after dinner? Choose blindly from the list - you'll get something unexpected and fab.

This place is the real, proper Lisbon. It's exactly right.

1  Thank ChrisA2012
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This is not a romantic restaurant, but it's rather cosy and small. We weren't that hungry so we didn't eat all the tapas the friendly waiter put in front of us. If you don't know yet: these treats don't come for free! We did eat the little quail's eggs though, and they were delicious. The main dishes were classic Alentjo dishes: pork with clams, and duck rice. Both were raher tasty, but we missed some vegetables. We should have ordered those seperately I guess. For dessert we had the house specialty, some kind of almond pudding in a big pot with a wooden spoon. The coffee is something special too: it is served on a yellow painted ceramic tray with some matching glass vials that contain different kinds of sugar and cinnamon sticks. A treat, and not expensive at all.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

The staff were delightful and I was so happy to find the black pork on the menu. Excellent.