“Fabulous! Could not fault it's excellence!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Solar dos Nunes

Solar dos Nunes
Reserve with
Solar dos Nunes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #342 of 4,049 Restaurants in Lisbon
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous! Could not fault it's excellence!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

My friend and decided to trust the Telegraph revues and we chose this restaurant out of many! What a choice!!!
We took a cab, so I've no idea how far away it is from the main attractions, but I guess it's pretty central.
The restaurant is quite boutique. Family run. Great atmosphere. More up the market, but that would not make you feel uncomfortable in tis particular restaurant.
The meals even bread where all freshly cooked, we ere able to see the process through the small kitchen window where we were seated.
Waiters did their best to describe and recommend the meals!
We chose fish. And it was amazing! Flavours are Slightly different to usual cuisine, but prawn sauce worked perfectly with the fish I've ordered!
Deserts where just fab! The presentation, the flavours...
Oh, most of the restaurants in Lisboa close from 4-6pm. We didn't realise that we ended up dining in an empty restaurant as everyone has left already and staff didn't say a word!!! The owners and the staff were carried away with some paper work, etc..and we were still served and looked after, but not in a 'c'mon we are closing and hurry up way'. Thankful for the experience!
After spending €55-60 for two leaving with ir tummies full we were more than happy:)!
Enjoy x

Visited January 2013
3 Thank PTren

Iver, United Kingdom
“A taste of traditional Lisbon dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

We ate in this restaurant on a friday lunch time and you could not move for locals.

It is a traditional restaurant and appears to have a regular following in the area. The service is of a standard that you would expect from this level of restaurant.

We had the black pig to start. This is like a marinated liver - amazing! For our mains we had the rice, monkfish and prawns dish. It was excellent and for E22 exceptional value.

I would go back in a heart beat!

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank Westons2009
Cleveland, Ohio
“Wonderful food walking distance from Pestana Palace.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Understand that when you sit down at the table there will be food already laid out. They call this a cover or "couvert." It is NOT FREE. The price of the food will be on the menu so if you are on a budget you might ask for all or some of it to be taken away to keep your bill more reasonable. Also be aware that many places in Portugal allow smoking inside restaurants. The food was very tasty. I had the "Matador" steak and it was one of the best I ever had. Super friendly wait staff, generous portions, quick walk from Pestana Palace Hotel so it's a great option if you don't want to take a taxi into the city center. Dessert portions are huge, you should share.

Visited August 2012
5 Thank hilrow212
Lisboa
“Traditional taste”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

Goof tarditional food, made with the flavours ot the inners places of Portugal

3 Thank jose r
Stamford, CT
“Generally Good, BUT”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

I have eaten at Solar dos Niunes at least a dozen times over the course of about 8 years. It took me awhile to learn their game, and quite a game it is! The restaurant is very small and cramped, but at the same time it is attractive and homey. The owner and waiters knew us well and always reserved our favorite table on the upper level so we were less cramped and had a good view of the whole place. Reservations are a must. Very little English is spoken, so have your hotel call. There's an English menu, but it's not complete. (There are numerous offerings that are not on the English menu.)

One thing to be aware of is that they place ALL of the items on the appetizer (tapas) menu on the table before the customers arrive. Beware! touch it, and you pay for it. Anything you don't want, you MUST tell the waiter to take it off the table. Otherwise, you'll be charged. Several times, I made the mistake of just diving in and finishing off everything without thinking. It's all delicious, but it gets bloody expensive.

The food is, for the most part, excellent. The chef always came out to greet us as soon as we were seated - he knew us from having seen us so often. I was very seldom disappointed, and if I said anything it was immediately taken care of. Solar dos Nunes became our must-visit place on every trip, and I felt like a traitor if we didn't go there at least once every time we were in Lisboa.

That all ended after a disaster that I thought would kill me. On my last visit, my partner insisted on having dessert. I was so full that I really didn't feel like stuffing myself any more than I already had, but I succumbed to the orange cake (a simple, moist, tasty cake with an orange sauce.) It tasted fine, but apparently the sauce was made with uncooked or undercooked eggs that were harboring the dreaded salmonella. The effects started before we even got back to our hotel. By the time I got to the room, I knew I was in serious trouble. I had a flight out the next day around noon, and by that time I was debating whether to go to the airport or the hospital. Without going into the gory details, I'll just say it was a stroke of extremely good luck that I packed clean underwear in my carry-on bag. The flight was one I'll never, ever forget. I was in first class and was assigned my very own lavatory where I spent nearly the whole flight.

I gave Solar dos Nunes 3 stars only because of the many excellent meals I had there over the years. However, I will never be able to get over the memory of the worst case of food poisoning I could ever imagine. It took about 4 days for me to fully recover, and it's not something I ever want to go through again.

• Visited January 2011