“Diasapponting”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa do Leao

Casa do Leao
Reserve with
Casa do Leao is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #980 of 4,047 Restaurants in Lisbon
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
London UK
“Diasapponting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

This restaurant is situated inside the Castle of St George. With such a fantastic position we hoped for a really good evening. The views were amazing but it was too windy for service on the terrace so everyone ate inside. The service was good, but uninspiring but the real disappointment was the food. It wasn't bad just very average. Its probably good enough at lunchtime, sitting on the terrace with an amazing view over Lisbon. But inside at night and with moderately high prices you hope for something special and this was ordinary at best.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Ecosoul
Manager_CLeao, Gerente at Casa do Leao, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the Casa do Leão Restaurant and for taking the time to post this review. Your helpful suggestions are being taken in consideration. We appreciate the positive comment on the service of the Restaurant.
The necessary steps to improve the quality of our services will be taken and we sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

We will be delighted to welcome you again soon with good weather to enjoy the Terrace.

Kind Regards

• Korean first
“School Dinner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

I had veal. The sauce must of come from a packet - reminiscent of British school dinners. It was truly awful. I did manage to force it all down, however this was not an enjoyable experience and actually caused hysterics at the table.

The puddings are bought out of house and are identical to those found in supermarkets in the UK. If you like frozen cheesecake, go. It is dreadful.

I was served a gin and tonic from a red wine glass so large it took 40 minutes to drink. The drink was so dilute with tonic, and thus vast quantities of quinine, I could of taken on a trip to sub Saharan Africa.

Our waiter, once the complaints started, became the chef and manager declaring he had restaurants in 4 continents and became rather animated and obstructive to accepting any fault of the restaurant in what had occurred.

I have no idea how the Michelin Guide have recommended this place and I will be sure to write to them to encourage revisit as I felt thoroughly ripped off by the experience. For 2 it cost 100 euros, 10 of which were explained by the fact "you pay for what you eat, you ate the amuse bouche, you pay'. I am unfamiliar with being forced to pay for food presented to you that you have not asked for.

The view was great, made better by the fact it seemed like somewhere nice to escape to once inside the restaurant of horrors.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank n99john
Manager_CLeao, Gerente at Casa do Leao, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

We welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us to get better!

Like I said on your friend´s review, there´s a few points that I think are important to mention, like your meat dish, that you were asked if it was good, and you said it was very good. You even ask for more bread to finish the sauce in the plate, so we don’t understand your critic on your dish and the hysterics caused by you and your friend at the table.

Regarding our dessert´s like I said before on your friend´s review, they all are fresh and prepared by one of our top Pastry Chef´s and they are mostly traditional dessert´s which I think you don’t see in the UK, and for the record we don’t have cheese cake in our restaurant so once again I don’t understand your critic on this.

The Gin tonic was served in a special glass used just for gin´s which you can only see in Gin´s Bar´s and if you like, you are always welcome to come back and see for yourself which are the wine glasses and the ones we use for Gin´s.

Our Staff´s behavior was very good because they were polite and respectful, and they´re effort for trying to make your meal more pleasant was recognized for all the clients who were dinning at the same time as you were.

We hope to be able to welcome you again in a near future.

Best regards,
“Terrible and expensive”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by our hotel. The views were fantastic from the castle overlooking the city, we were hopeful. However, we were sorely disappointed.
My fish was quite honestly disgusting. So bad that I sent it back after a couple of mouthfuls. It was lumps of tasteless boiled white fish on top of a mass of very watery crushed sweet potato.

My partners main was edible but the sauce had clearly come out of a packet, not what you expect for 25 euros.

I chose my pudding from a trolley of rather pale looking, shop brought choices. When asked if they were made on site the answer was predictably no.

The waiter in charge was an obnoxious man and when asked if we could have some money off the bill as I didn't eat my main he reluctantly removed 5 euros. Be aware that the bread and olives and amuse bouche are added to the bill.

It was a truly awful, expensive experience. Go up for a drink and enjoy the view but avoid this dreadful tourist trap.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Amy C
Dear Madam

Thank you for spending time reviewing this experience in our Restaurant.

First of all we are truly sorry for not being able to meet yours expectations and we hope that you will come here again so that we can prove to you that you can have an enjoyable meal at Casa do Leão restaurant.

I only want to clarify a few things that you didn´t mention in your review and I think that is important. To begin the fish that you choose was fresh and it was showed to you that fact, by our staff. We suggest other options which where rudely denied by you. I´m sorry to inform that you didn’t taste any pudin but an almond pie, that was made that day as all our desserts are. Regarding your friend´s meal, if the veal was so bad like you said it was, then why did he eat all, including the extra bread he asked to mixture with the rest of the sauce?

Regarding the payment it is normal to pay for a meal when you go to a restaurant and eat. In a tentative to facilitate and to try to make this a pleasant meal we made a discount of €15 on the starter and we didn’t charge the fish that you didn’t like. We tried and we did our best to make your dinner enjoyable but we were very surprised by your reaction and behavior. Please note that our staff´s behavior was excellent and was recognized for all the other clients who were in the restaurant that evening.

Like we said before, we hope to have an opportunity to show to you that Casa do Leão is a place where you can have a fine and pleasant meal and we hope you you come back.

Best Regards,
“Outstanding find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Go on, treat yourself - this is outstanding, great views over Lisbon from within the castle grounds; we all had the set menu which is €30 a head for a fixed starter, choice of meat or fish for the main plus desert - the shrimp and avocado starter was first class, my daughter had duck for her main and said it was the best she has ever had, the fish was excellent as were the deserts; this place really is a treat all washed down with some very tasty vino verde - I think it's part of the pousada hotels group - Excellent place for lunch.

• Visited August 2013
Vienna, Austria
“Expensive, but worth it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

This restaurant is located at the Castle of Sao Jorge, so the location is lovely. The food was exquisite. I was there at a banquet for the last night of a conference I attended, but the conference organizers told me that the food served was typical of the restaurant. It's rather expensive (glancing at the menu), but it's worth it for a special meal in Lisbon.

• Visited June 2013