“Different and Just Fine”

DoubleTree by Hilton Lisbon - Fontana Park
Ranked #101 of 254 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed here for vacation on the way south to the Algarve. Location was great for taking metro direct from airport. Taxis throughout Lisbon were just as cheap as the metro for the three of us. Front desk was helpful and very polite. It is a design hotel. Daughter didn't much like the black walls (she's 12 and I actually thought she would) or the narrow corridor (we are tall, slim people). We had a King Deluxe with balcony on top floor. It was nice and just spacious enough. Toilet was private (don't know about other room configurations described in other reviews); it is true the tub/shower combo sits in the room. It offers some privacy from the side view but your rear in the shower will be visible and well... the tub is an all seers affair. But we're family so whatevs. The hotel is about 7 minutes by taxi (5 euros) to center. I found it conveniently located, clean and breakfast (included as HHonors Diamond members) was more than adequate. We ate at the Japanese restaurant. It was good and fairly inexpensive. We would stay here again. Its a good value for points or even paying cash. We didn't use the fitness facility though we checked it out. It was just fine for a good workout.

Room Tip: Top floor; deluxe king or junior suite if party is larger than two I would imagine. Balcony is a plu...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
G C S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Lisbon - Fontana Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your fabulous and detailed review on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to read that our service, rooms, breakfast and the beautiful city of Lisbon were up to your family expectations. Your comments are a great motivation for all of us in order to keep performing our best service. I would like to renew my thanks for your support.

We hope to welcome you and your family back to the Doubletree by Hilton Lisbon – Fontana Park.

Best regards,

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Lisbon - Fontana Park

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Service und Ausstattung in gewohnter Markenqualität, der Aufpreis für das große Zimmer mit Dachterasse ist den Blick auf ein paar Burögebäude & Schule nicht wert, Lage okay, Frühstück auch überteuert, da nur Standard, Fitnessstudio klein, aber modern, Inneneinrichtung sehr schwarz, Bad ist total offen, da darf man keine Scharm vor einander haben, die Badewanne hat immer wieder in der Nacht angefangen zu leuchten, was das Zimmer automatisch miterleuchtet /// Upgrade on King Superior Room not worth the price, Breakfast is only standard, also overpriced, cookie was really good, a nice SPA would have been nice, but is missing, usual service and facility quality of the hilton brand, bath room is totally open so you can even take a pee without the other person hearing it, also we found a lott of hair from an other guest in the bath room when we arrived

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed February 19, 2014

i was satisfied. the hotel looked nice and had the things that i needed. breakfast was a plus and was actually good. i would stay again. staff were great and provided the things i needed. about a 30 min walk from some areas of interest

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for this outstanding feedback, which I really appreciate.

I am very glad to know that we gave you the best experience and the finest service that you were expecting as well as providing you with everything you need.

When you come back to Lisbon, I would be glad to personally take care of your reservation. Please feel free to contact me: goncalo.sousa@hilton.com and it would be my pleasure to make your next visit, a memorable one!

I am looking forward for your next stay and welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed here 4 nights using hilton points - overall it was fine as a hotel. Location wise it's not central, about 15 mins by metro to centre but only 12 mins from Airport by taxi. Choice of 3 metros within 10 mins walk, accessing different lines - Parque was best for us as links to blue lines to tourist sites. It's a commercial district so dead at night, which some people might like.

Hotel itself was fine - it's a design hotel, but this meant that effectively everything was monochrome, stark in design and if honest not that personable. I love modern hotels - just think gone too far. Reception is nice, lobby bar was ok but dead most of time (DJ at weekends - was bored!!). Lighting is harsh walking to lift, then get to 5th floor and was black walls, black carpet - really stark. Rooms are not much better - all black glass/walls/reinforced concrete sides and not much space. We had a standard king - good picture windows floor to ceiling that opened onto balconette - but was good as air con was only on hot and rooms were hot!! Bathroom was terrible - all black glass, Philippe Stark bath and bad lighting/impossible to see properly in mirrors plus toilet surrounded by mirrors on 3 sides. Was really odd. Finding black glass door to batthroom in black corridor at night (with blackout blinds) - impossible.

Bed was ok, pillows terrible - even when asked for feather pillows got rock hard ones instead. Tea/Coffee in room, team good, coffee awful. Wifi was good and free, TV had lots of English channels with translations in Portugese - saving grace!

Food was ok - restaurant was meant to be top one, but was dead when we ate there on Thursday night - breakfasts ok but service slow.

Overall it was ok - stayed in worse, stayed in better. Don't think I would recommend - we went to the Sheraton for dinner one night and was great, probably same price.

Room Tip: Big room suggested - try to get something which is on the back (not great views, but quieter).
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2014

This hotel is great. The poor reviews on this website are, I personally feel, written by folks that do not appreciate contemporary, trendy, modern design or feel service over form is better. I feel compelled to write whilst I am still here from my balcony room now, as I am so happy and glad to say, all the negative reviews do not do this place justice. On top of that, I actually love the modern design. Who cares if the hallways are black, with room numbers on the floor and a green carpet. It is the design and we don’t live in the hallways and I think it is really cool anyway! The price vs quality debate – I am not sure I have stayed anywhere better. On landing at Lisbon airport, a short 100 metre walk took me to the 744 bus that, 13 stops and about 15 mins later, dropped me 2 mins from the hotel at Saldanha. All for 1.80 euro. How good is that. On check in, I was offered the standard warm cookies (a little early for me – but I was offered to go back anytime and ask for it!). I arrived at 10.30 expecting to be asked to wait in reception for 4 hours. No – the room was ready – unusual and great. I was given multiple wifi codes (one required for each device) and also informed “if I want more wifi codes, please call, they will issue over the phone. No hotel is this forward thinking on these damn wifi codes – something so important these days. Bravo. Arrived in the room, couldn’t see any complimentary bottled water. One quick call, and two massive one litre bottles arrived complimentary. The toiletries were brimming – 3 of everything (not was I was expecting reading someone was charged when they asked for more) – there was a plentiful, complimentary supply. Room service ordered – something slightly different to what I ordered arrived – language confusion – however, the guy said “sorry – if you do not like it, call down and I will organise you something else”. It was great anyway – so no problem there – but how nice to be offered something different if it wasn’t to my liking. I asked if he knew how to use the coffee machine. No – but he sent a man immediately. All sorted. The funky bath with six colours is great – I had a “green” bath last night and watched tele from the bath. The hard bed is just how I like it – so fabulous. The balcony is awesome – quite large and two great chairs (definitely pay extra for the private terrace / balcony). I like the “concrete form” study desk and bench – but again – very trendy – so make sure you like modern things. The breakfast was great. There are some shops close by. And, if you like walking, I think the location is fabulous to wander around Lisbon. Metro stations are close. So, the service is great, the facilities are good and add in the pricing of this hotel – I don’t think I would stay anywhere else in Lisbon. It is such great value for money with awesome service. Last weekend I stayed at a 5 star hotel that was 400 euro a night (more than my flight and two nights in Lisbon) - service and quality of stay here is so superior. Don't hesitate - just book it.

Room Tip: Make sure you pay for the private balcony terrace on the top floors. It is so worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Travel_Trinkets
G C S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Lisbon - Fontana Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear Guest,

It is a delight to receive such memorable and great feedback. Thank you for sharing your comments with us! We are very pleased to know that you loved your time while you were staying at the Doubletree by Hilton Lisbon – Fontana Park.

We look forward to see you again and we hope to make your next experience even better! It will be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Well located about 5 min walk from Picoas metro station and about 10 min from Saldanha (both for airport and downtown). Opposite a food market, near a couple of small shopping centres and plenty of restaurants nearby (but not too touristy). Very clean and stylish, recently modernised. Nice restaurant for a good breakfast and nice dinner (plus a Japanese restaurant too). Friendly staff. Rooms are equally stylish although the semi-transparency of the wall between the bathroom and bedroom may not appeal to all. The shower/bath may also be a bit awkward to access for some. Even with air conditioning I found the room too warm and airless and it would be nice if the window could be opened. Good wifi, although the signal is variable. Kettle with tea and coffee and minibar in room. Probably better for work or weekend than holiday, but very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your important feedback.

I am sorry that you found some of the hotel’s room features somehow different from what you were expecting. Allow me to assure you that your comments have been brought to the attention of our project team for immediate review and actions, in order to evaluate what you stated above.

Nevertheless, I am very glad to know that you enjoyed the “clean and stylish” style of the hotel as well as the beautiful city of Lisbon.

Feel free to comeback to our hotel on your next visit! We look forward to welcome you back!

Reviewed January 24, 2014

I'm a Gold Member with Hilton Honors and booked this hotel for our last night in Europe. It had parking (for a fee) and was only minutes away from the International Airport. I am usually quite satisfied with Hilton properties but this one is just wierd. The color scheme of Kelly Green and Black is not something I would expect for a relaxing hotel.

I had two rooms because I was traveling with my family. One room had a balcony and one room only had a window. The area of Lisbon is ok, very busy, but a lot of graffiti. There was no way to drive up to the lobby, so I just parked on the sidewalk! It all worked out :-).

Upon entering, the lobby; it and nearby bar/lounge have a uber modern appearance and is not all that inviting. The staff was very friendly and check-in was simple. They told me where to park in their underground garage and how to access the elevators to our rooms from there. We were on the 3rd floor. Upon arriving at the 3rd floor and the elevator doors opening - the uber modern decor was just wierd. The doors open on a very long, BLACK corridor with a strip of green carpet down the middle. The room numbers are on the floor and not on the doors - in fact, it is difficult to even see the doors because the whole corridor is of the same material, texture and color.

The rooms themselves were roomy and, with the large window or balcony, made it feel even larger. The bathroom was quite strange as well - our room had the bathroom walls of tinted glass and the bathroom door would not close because there was no latch and the weight of the door and it obviously not being level (again - all tinted glass) would make it open. In addition, when a person would take a shower, a person in the room could watch - it was like a 2-way mirror - when the light was on, you could see through, when off, you could not. In addition, you could see someone on the toilet because of the same situation. Why would someone make a hotel room like this?

The bed was not comfortable at all - it was basically a mattress on a slab of wood. It was probably the worst night's sleep of our 2-week vacation. Would I stay here again if in Lisbon? Absolutely not - and, again, I'm a Hilton Honors Gold Member. We ended up having to spend one more night in Lisbon because of a flight cancellation and the airline put us up at the Marriott - SO MUCH NICER. I would stay there any day over the Double Tree - Lisbon

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank burnsomaha

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your detailed thoughts and comments with other travelers. We are very sorry to know that the hotel facilities were not the ones that you and your family expected.

We understand that the hotel’s design were not the one you were expecting. Every guest has its own tastes and opinions, facts we completely embrace and support!

I would be pleased to personally write you in order to get some further details on your stay and I would appreciate if you could provide us with more detailed information about your opinion on the hotel’s concept by writing to the Executive office of the hotel at: lisbonfontanapark.info@hilton.com or to myself: goncalo.sousa@hilton.com

Thank you in advance and I hope to have the chance to welcome you back again in order to give you the spotless treat you deserve.

Yours sincerely,