Tripadvisor
Lisbon
Post
Inbox
Search

“Nice, but was expecting more. ”
Review of Mesa Kreol

Mesa Kreol
Reserve a Table
Tue, 2/18
8:00 PM
Ranked #126 of 5,803 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: African
Neighborhood: Baixa, Rossio & Restauradores
Description: More than a restaurant, Mesa Kreol is an opportunity to meet with the Cape Verdean culture, traditional dishes like Cachupa moamba from Angola or Mafe from Senegal are some treasures are found in this small house of Cape Verde
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had a good experience but I was expecting more from the reviews I read.
Food: We tried a few Angolan dishes. They were ok. We were surprised that “moamba” came without “pirão “ nor “fuba” which are a must have when you eat “moamba”. The food was lukewarm and quickly became cold before we finished. Very little rice was offered. Prices were reasonable.
Wine & aperitifs: There are not too many options. The wine is pricey compared to the food €13/14- €20/€22.
Desserts: only 4 options available. Nothing too exciting but the ice cream with brandy was good, if you like brandy.
Service: polite and adequate. The owner chatted with us outside but didn’t come to the table during dinner.
Music: nice background live music, not too lively, a bit of Brazilian, Cape Verde, etc.
Decoration: very basic, touching the “cafe” style.
To summarise, I think it’s a nice inexpensive restaurant (apart from the wine) but there is room to improve with the food. The options are restricted but this is just their style and it didn’t bothered me. I just feel that because of their restricted options they could easily improve them.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (294)

Reviewed December 14, 2019

We enjoyed a unique dinner! Nice atmosphere and a great selection of dishes. Very good wine recommendations by the owner. The service is very friendly, natural and dedicated. Beautiful experience - certainly to repeat.

Date of visit: December 2019
1  Thank Manuel M
Reviewed December 1, 2019 via mobile

When you think you are there, but can’t find it, look away from the square, you will see stairs, walk just a few feet toward the stairs and look to your left. That’s it!

The menu isn’t big. I suggest the Angola Chicken. My friend said the turkey was great but we are going back for the muscles.

Friendly, great food and fun atmosphere.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed November 10, 2019

I can say this is one of the best restaurant I have ever ate at. I was there in two separate days.
Not large, but very cozy, with very welcoming atmosphere. Good live music on both days.
The first day I got tuna steak with white wine sauce, and it was just the best. The second day I got the Islandfish stew (fish, mussels and prawns in a mild spicy sauce) and that was just wonderful too.
Desserts are very good too - I recommend the chocolate cake and coconut pudding.
Also, something you might want to try: the strawberry gazpacho and Pastel de Milho - fried corn parcel filled with spicy tuna.
Don't skip the green wine.

Date of visit: November 2019
1  Thank bogdane2018
Reviewed October 31, 2019

Mesa Kreol is one of my favourite places to go out for dinner in Lisbon. They always have good food - anything you order from the menu will blow your mind. Plus every time I have been there has been live music.

Date of visit: October 2019