“budget, nothing more”

Hotel Borges Chiado
Ranked #160 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Because my reservation at Avenida Parque hotel was cancelled because of trouble with the hot water equipment we were transfered to the Borges hotel. Location is excellent but the hotel is just a budget place to sleep. Breakfast is terrible, rooms are very noisy (room 101) and staff not very friendly, but the budget price and the location make it ok for a few days.

Room Tip: Room 101 is very noisy and there is no view from the window.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Just returned from a very enjoyable, great value 4 day trip booked directly with Easyjet. Hotel Borges is in an excellent central location for site-seeing and city transport - metro station directly opposite and excellent no. 28 tram runs past hotel. (Handy travel tip: at metro station ticket machine buy 6 euro day travel pass + 50c for card which gives you access to buses, metro, trams and famous tourist lifts for 24 hours travel, even to and from airport.) Hotel reception area is very bright, modern and clean. Reception staff were pleasant and efficient. We were given a room on the 3rd floor (? 306) and were delighted to discover that it was spacious, clean, simple and had obviously recently undergone a very nice contemporary make-over with dark wood modern furniture, laminate wood floor-covering, wall-mounted flat-screen TV, smart curtains and good full-length mirror. The room was positioned at the back of the hotel and overlooked a quiet street. The beds (two generous singles), were firm and very comfortable. The shower-room, I think also recently upgraded, was large, spacious, bright and light with a large walk-in glass shower cubicle, simple white fixtures including bidet, large over-sink mirror, hairdrier and good under-sink cupboard space for toilet bags, etc. The shower was powerful with plenty of hot water. Again, nice hygienic wood effect floor-covering. (nb A hook for used towels/robes and a mat to step onto from the shower would have been helpful). All in all, very simple and clean and the hotel website photographs and descriptions did not do (our room) justice. Breakfast was simple and adequate self-service and consisted of a fair choice of fruit juices, fresh fruit, yogurts, cold meat, cheese, breads and pastries, hot beverages and toast-making facilities. Breakfast was eaten in a beautiful room with ornate gold-leaf mouldings, gilt mirrored walls, high ornate ceiling and glass chandelier. I would recommend this hotel and would happily return. Lisbon is a great-value city break destination with excellent restaurants, cafes, museums and transport.

Room Tip: Rooms towards rear of hotel generally more quiet and peaceful though some street noise may still be...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Raj678
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We've just come back from the charming lisboa, staying from 25 to 30 Dec 2012 to Hotel Chiado Borges. Two doubles for my wife and me and my bro in law, wife and little child. The location is great, considering that the hotel is located in the main gathering point of lisbon's day and night life. it's just at the end of Rua Garret, the metro and the stop of the famous tram 28 is 100 mt far from the entrance and Rossio takes just a 3 minute walk.
Any more good details of the hotel? Let's say the hall is nice, all white, mirrors and nice chairs. The first time you enter you have the idea to be in a really metropolitan hotel. That's just the first time...
Other good point is that the rooms have on average a proper size, considering that you are on holiday to go out and not to stay in a hotel room.
Last good remark: the breakfast hall is really nice, well decorated and big enough to host many persons at the same time. Food is quite good (even if some items come from a supermarket behind Rossio Square...) and varies from fruit to cookies, jams, juices. Bread is very good too, though it's difficult to find a place in Lisbon where it's bad.
In the evening you can really enjoy the place, since just ahead the hotel it's plenty of small restaurants and bars where you can spend the night (miradouro de Alcantara in the morning is a good witness of the many persons having a drink in the local bars).
The last day we could leave the luggage until late afternoon for free, and believe me, it was not for granted...

After pros, let's talk about cons...
The management is quite weird. We had some problems with the rooms, which were all fixed after our requests, but they could have all been solved before assigning us that room.
First advice to remember: if you are given Room 417, pls do ask to have another room. We got it first, but the bathroom cannot be used. The basin was in the corner between two walls, and even to wash your hands you needed to squeeze between them.
Then we got a new room (changed soon after our request, to be honest), where the door of the wardrobe fell down any time we opened it. The morning after we asked to fix the hinges, which were replaced with no problems... but wouldn't it have been better to fix this before giving us the room? Last, but totally not remarkable, the TV had no remote control, we to ask for it again to the desk and it popped out soon after our demand (in the other room tv didn't work at all).
As to cleaning, the room was almost well kept when we got back in the evening, but let's say you would have some problem if you are choosy people (moquette, the curtain of the bathtub and the covers a little dusty).
Totally bad is the lack of free wi-fi. You have to pay € 5 for a 24h connection, but the login can be used for a device only (if you have two smartphones you cannot use the same account).
there is just one workstation where you can use internet (only if you pay - of course), but it's in a small corner before breakfast room... and if you decide to use it in the evening, consider that there's no light (we had to clear the online chek-in, and I was sitting and using the pc while my bro in law had to walk all time in order to make the sensors swith on the light!!!).
Remember also that the rooms have no fridge, and the safe is an option which costs € 1,50 per day.
Last tip: for water and small shops there is a supermarket just behind Rossio sqaure, you can use it to buy water (having bottles at € 0,20 instead of € 2,00, as it is in the hotel - and I assure you it is the same brand).
My overall impression is in any case rather good. It's not the best hotel I have ever stayed in, but after all it's affordable and has the right price-quality ratio.

Room Tip: avoid room 417 and ask for the higher levels.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Peppedaur
Reviewed December 29, 2012

This hotel is described in the Guide du Routard as having large, impeccable and quiet rooms with French speaking staff (which is of no interest to us).
What we had was a tiny room (we could hardly squeeze our luggage into the room), which was overlooking a noisy street. To use the bathroom, you have to have abilities of a contortionist. Cleaniness: bits of paper on the floor. In our reservation, the room had been confirmed at €105. After having seen the room, I asked how much we would be charged. We were told €85. We accepted (we had planned to stay only one night). The next morning, when checking out, the clerk insisted on collecting 105, which is totally overpriced for this room.
By listing this hotel you are not providing any service to your customers and I wonder how it ended up with a favorable review in the Guide du Routard.

« Close this window »

Room Tip: Avoid the Hotel Borges
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank PeterRM_12
Reviewed December 11, 2012

In early October my husband and I stayed at the Borges hotel presenting a prepaid voucher on check in. On checkout we were told we had to pay €180 as the hotel had not received payment for our stay. Our travel agent promptly followed this up and was told that Borges had made a mistake and would contact us to arrange a refund. He provided our contact details. After a month I had not heard from the hotel so I emailed them. There has still been no response from them. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank travelover5
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We booked this last minute. The price was right and the location was perfect. If you are looking for a stuffy, upscale sort of experience then don't go here. If you are looking for a good time with a fun nightlife and a view of the hustle and bustle of Lisbon, then this is the place. It's steps from the Baixa Chiado subway stop. Literally, like 40 steps (if you get off at the right exit). Downstairs, there are several streetside cafes where you can have a drink or snack. There are tons of people walking up and down this street. The bands at the square were jamming. The room is clean and huge. It was a great last minute find.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian S
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Hotel Borges is in an awesome location and that is the reason I wanted to give it a try. Now that I have I wont be staying there again. It is overpriced for what it offers and ther is better quality for better rates. The service from staff was acceptable. The internet service was not working properly so they refunded my purchase. Generally I don't appreciate hotel who charge for wi-fi as in this day and age it should be part of the package. The room was aweful. It had a strange smell. I didn't see any mold but I would guess it also smelled moldy. The bathroom had no ventalation so it stays humid after a shower. If you have allergies, I don't recommend this hotel. The pillows were not of good quality. The continental breakfast is acceptable but the coffee wasn't good which is something I never experienced before in Portugal. If you are staying for a while I would probably get tired of the same breakfast everyday. The only thing this hotel really has going for it is the location.

Room Tip: ask for a room more recently renovated
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo