“excellent Lisbon base”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of B&B ZUZABED

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lisbon
B&B ZUZABED
Ranked #11 of 231 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Canada
“excellent Lisbon base”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

we arrived early morning Lisbon time, jetlagged and disoriented after a long flight - without delay, we were shown to the 'Terrace' room. No waiting until 2pm for check in. I instantly loved the room and the views overlooking city centre, Sao Jorge in the distance. Comfy bed, windows that open, a decent blackout blind, fresh flowers, water jug and glasses, spotless clean.
After a short power nap, we met little Luis (one of the people who keep this place running) - he handed us a cell phone, did some orientation and off we went. It was the perfect welcome and the start of 4 days visiting this glorious city.
Next morning, I particularily enjoyed the fresh fruit, plain yogurt and good strong coffee. That night, Luis invited his guests to join him at a local cafe for a 'welcome to Lisbon' drink.
After a month of touring Portugal, and this included stays in some very expensive pousadas, I can say that Luis and his team provided outstanding service in a thoughtful and unobtrusive way. We are experienced travelers, looking for a place to rest weary bones - Zuza B & B gave us that and more. Many thanks Luis, for providing such a fantastic start to our holiday. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Lisbon. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: loved the Terrace Room with view and patio
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Reviewed May 26, 2013

As probably everyone else we saw all those good comments and decided to book at Zuza.

And we confirm it's true, you simply cannot be disappointed. Whatever you choose, Guest House, B&B or flat, Luis will have the good one for you and will perfectly take care of you with his friendly staff.

We chose to stay in Chiado studio, perfectly situated in Lisbon old town, everything is at 2 minutes walk, restaurant, bars, bakery and visits.

It's a great value for money, and if you choose a flat, don't hesitate to ask for the extra to have your fridge full of local products, fresh cheese, ham, milk, fruits...the best way to enjoy a good breakfast in your "own" flat in Lisbon :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Aleksandar_GVA
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Just "2 words" AAAAA MAAAAZIIING ;-) That is also the "2 words" Luis uses when describing "his city": Lisboa .....but definitely this also describes Luis....the most fantastic host in the world <3

But well.......besides from those "2 words" ....here is some more words to expand our experience with ZuzaBed and Luis and his team ;-)

We (me and my hubby) had a quite long stay during april/may 2013 (together for 18 days and then me alone for another week, so in total 25 days).

We started living in the fab apartment, Royal II - the largest of all ZuzaBed options - in the district: Baixa/Chiado....completely in the center of everything incl. shopping, transport opp's, dining (i.e. in Bairro Alto district which is app. 25 footsteps from the apartment....since the apartment is placed in the Baixa/Chiado district exactly where it "blends" into the Bairro Alto district and at the same time it is only a few minutes of walking distance from ZuzaBed B&B and GuestHouse (GuestHouse is where Luis has his "office" .....but well...Luis is definitely NOT stuck to his "office" ....he is all over ...but still nice to know that you can reach the "Headquarter" within minutes if needed :-)).
The Royal II is a huuuuuge apartment with 2 large bedrooms, large kitchen with dining space and ALL amenities incl. dishwasher, washing machine, microwave, american fridge/freezer, Nespresso etc, walkin closet, bathroom with "walkin area" for "makeup time", large living room ....with hiiiiigh ceilings with wonderful stucco and with laaaaarge flat screen TV with loads of international channels incl. english speaking, a PC (free use), an ipod docking, HIFI and of course WIFI (free ! :-)) and several seating options incl. the most comfy chaise longue you can think of - combined with also a huuuuuge private terrace with tables, chairs, sunbeds and an outdoor shower :-) ....everything with the most elegant and at the same time creative interior design - all designed by Luis ...great !

I moved to another of Luis's apartments in Lisboa: Grand-Suite ....also in the district: Baixa/Chiado...just around the corner to Royal II apartment....after my hubby left Lisboa, since I didn't need so much space now being alone the last week.
Actually.....if there had been available room at either the B&B or GuestHouse, I'd probably have moved to one of those options as a "single traveller" - but the rooms at the B&B and GuestHouse are often "sold out" ....that means one has to plan and book as an "early bird" to ensure a room and since my extra week was a spontaneous decision there was no room available in neither of these options, but luckily Luis found the Grand-Suite for me, which was another great choise !

The Grand-Suite apartment is an extremely light apartment with large living room with leather sofas, comfy and yet elegant arm chair, dining area, flat screen TV with international channels incl. several english speaking, PC, HIFI, WIFI (all free), kitchen with everything needed (dishwasher, washing machine, Nespresso etc), large bedroom with lots of space for clothes and a bathroom with both shower and bathtub, towel heater etc....
And this apartment also has central heating and elevator (3. floor) and finally there is a balcony (with a nice side view to the river) which gives you the opp. of enjoying both early morning sun and late afternoon/evening sun....and the balcony is a bit "wider" than the most "typical portuguese balconies" (often more like "french balconies") ....this one is of course not like a "terrace" but wide enough so you can place a not too big chair or a pillow and sit out there or open the "floor to ceiling doors" and place a chair "half in/half out" in the "doorway" and in that way you can actually do a bit of "sunbathing" ....I enjoyed that every late afternoon when a break was needed ;-)

Everything is in the apartments (incl. also some food/drinks in the fridge when you arrive so you don't have to rush out doing shopping on the arrival day....again...at no extra cost ! :-)) and if you in anyway can find something which is not there....well....Luis will make miracles and ....boom.....then it's there....

A few examples:
I.e. beach towels (rarely you travel with beach towels ....way too big/heavy in the luggage, so I didn't think of bringing that. But a little comment about that in a small talk (I didn't even ASK for it...I just mentioned that it would have been nice to have ....and the next day: beach towels delivered to the apartment as an extra service ! :-)

Another example: We were provided with a "direct life line" (aka a "local" cell phone with the numbers to Luis and his super-team ...free of costs for the use of contact to ZuzaBed team) and being told never to hesitate to call if any kind of help were needed. And i.e. Luis himself also used the phone several times to call us (or me, when I was alone the last week) to check if everything was ok, whether we/I needed anything and/or asked us to meet for a drink with the other guests and other times to meet with him and his friend(s) (ohhhhh Luis & Luis....aka Dupont & Dupont ....you two are just great ;-)) and i.e. on top of that Luis even invited me out for a dinner one of the nights when I stayed alone ...that cell phone did make wonderful times ..."Nokia Connecting People" as the Nokia commercial says....in this case it is true <3

And yet another example that shows that not only "material needs" will be fulfilled....and definitely this example is not one you normally will "meet out there":
I had in one if the many great chats with Luis BEFORE we arrived to Lisboa, mentioned that many many years ago (app. 30 years ago :-)) I had actually lived for some months in a small village in Portugal (Sesimbra) and mentioned to Luis that I kept thinking about this place - wondering whether I still could recognize some of the places from those "happy months back in time" if ever coming back to Sesimbra.
The village has changed/grown quite much since then...I had read about that before we left Denmark for this trip to Lisboa) and me and my hubby had planned - but unfortunately missed going to Sesimbra during the days we were together in Lisboa (there is soooo many things to do and 18 days simply "disappeared" so fast during our holiday so suddenly my hubbys holiday was over and no Sesimbra was seen ....). Since I unfortunately have a handicap which i.e. means I am not able to do long excursions/long-lasting activities by myself I thought that I had missed the opportunity to see Sesimbra and "kind if binding a knot" on my little private fairytale from my "wild youth" many years ago.
I was quite "nostalgic" when I told Luis about those months 30 years ago ....my litlle "fairytale"...and ....boom....another little Luis-miracle....he invited me for a private tour with him in his own car for a day-trip to Sesimbra during that week I was alone in Lisboa ! It was simply one of the most caring, empathic and thoughtful ...gestures I have ever experienced ...this gesture is soooo much "out if scale" for a B&B/GuestHouse/Serviced Apartment host to do...on a scale rating from 1-10 a gesture like this will be marked by me as 100 and I am quite convinced that one will not be able to find other hosts - except from Luis - who will do things like that ! ;-)
I ended up having an absolutely AAA MAAAZIIING day with Luis in Sesimbra.....I found all "my nostalgic spots" there, had a super lunch with Luis and not to forget ...the most fun car-trip ever ...imagine Luis driving the car and at the same time singing and almost dancing (still deiving !! :-)) since/while loud pop music (yeeeeahhhhh !! :-)) from the 1980's filled the car/air.....lots and lots of fun ...still having a BIG smile on my face remembering this trip ...THANX a zillion dear Luis <3

I am totally flabbergasted about examples like these ....and these are only a few of what we experienced .....it's like Luis is placed on this Earth to make people happy and to fulfill their/our dreams/thoughts (hopefully it also fulfills the dreams Luis have :-))... ...and to make fairytales always having a happy ending :-))
We were greeted with the highest possible level of kindness and attention from start to the end .....We/I can't thank Luis enough - especially for all the "nursing" Luis did to me, when I was all by myself (my hubby is ever so grateful too :-)) and of course also a big applaus to "The Luis-team" as well...even Juan who just started as a new member of the team was within more or less just hours...like a person who had been there for years...he really has the "ZuzaBed spirit" like the rest of the fab team ....keep rocking :-)

We hereby give our HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION to ZuzaBed and we will without any doubt be coming back to ZuzaBed and Luis....either in B&B, GuestHouse or one of the Apartments...it actually doesn't matter that much which option one will choose/end up with...Luis will make the stay unforgettable no matter what ;-)
We sincerely hope that Luis & Luis aka Dupont & Dupont will be coming to Denmark to visit us......so WE can have the possibility to "pay back" just a little tiny bit of all the AAAA MAAAZIIIING hospitality we experienced ....so Luis...."an offer you can't refuse" ....right ? <3

Loads of danish hugs and love <3
from
Gitte and Michael

Room Tip: ALL options....whether B&B, GuestHouse or one of the Apartments will be fab choices....Luis and...
1 Thank GitteSehested
Kildare, Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I spent 4 nights in the Zuza royal apartment in the Chiado area in Lisbon. What can I say except its a beautiful eclectic apartment in a vibrant friendly city, with customer service from Luis that was second to none. We wished we could have stayed longer as 4 nights just isn't long enough to see Lisbon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rebecca M
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I truly had the most wonderful experience with both zuzabed and breakfast and zuza guest house. I stayed in the b&b for two nights at the beginning of my trip to Lisbon, and was greeted with the most amazing hospitality. Luis and Carlos were so kind and warm and extremely helpful. The location was superb- 5 minute walk to anything and everything in the city. Gorgeous, clean, character filled room with a spectacular view. Beautiful fresh breakfast in the morning and help throughout the day with whatever I needed. Returned to the Zuza clan a few days later and stayed at the guest house- equally as great! I can't recommend Zuza b&b enough. You won't be disappointed. I can't wait to return to beautiful Lisbon, and I know for sure where I'll be staying!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank SaraElizabethL
Paris, France
Reviewed April 29, 2013

If you want to experiment living in the Chiado area just like locals, so you've got to rent this flat "Grand suite" with Zuzabed.
From the booking, the check in, the flat equipment & layout, the location to the check out, everything was just excellent !
Carlos, from Zuzabed, was more than helpful and available through a prepaid cellphone he provided us at the check in, just in case we needed something.
Light is flowing in the apartment through all the windows, bedding quality is great, just a slight drawback, the sound insulation of the main door with the stair case could be better.
It's not the first time we rent a flat in a big city, but it is definitely the best customer experience ever.
Next time we come back to Lisbon, we do the same: rent through Zuzabed. Merci Carlos ;) !

1 Thank Am_et_Mat
Ventura
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I have never stayed at a place that valued hospitality as much as Zuzabed does. Luis and his staff were willing to help my husband and I with anything we needed. In the mornings we ate a beautiful breakfast while listening to Frank Sinatra. One morning my Husband and I slept past the time of breakfast and when we went downstairs, to my surprise, it was still al laid out just for us, because Luis wanted to make sure we ate. I have never been to a hotel or B&B that would ever do that. When we left one of the staff members, Carlos, helped us with train times and gave us directions on how to navigate our ways to the train station. Every second we stayed at Zuzabed was enjoyable.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in Lisbon!!!!

Room Tip: Don't think just book..you won't regret it!
1 Thank jillincali22