All reviewslisbon suitesluis zuzartezuza bedother guestscastle roombairro altoprivate patioyogurtbreakfast tableeach morninghome away from homehameach guestflights of stairsliving roomrossio stationbeautiful city
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Luis is the host with the most, and his enthusiasm for Lisbon and Portugal is contagious. First thing you are given is a cell phone. Should you get lost, have a question, or need to know where to eat or shop while out, give him a call. If he is not available, someone else is. The breakfast is ample and Luis is there to help you plan your day. This is a very small B&B with a pleasant common room complete with a huge cd collection, huge collection of tourism books, and a computer. Located up the hill within easy access to many of the sites, shopping and restaurants. Probably not accessible for someone who might be handicapped.

Would I stay here again.... in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Probably don't want the room off the common area, but then the layout will be changing in the future
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Just came back from 3 nights stay at B&B and 1 night stay at the Guesthouse. We absolutely loved the experience particularly thanks to Carlos who had gone beyond his call of duty and provided us with the friendliest and attentive service. We dragged our bags from Rossio station and were out of breath in going up the stairs when Carlos found us. He kindly helped us carry up to the room and checked us in immediately. He gave us drinks and sweets while providing us with a mobile phone and the map indicating where we could go for dinner and drinks. Having placed a pin on the world map where all the guests are encouraged to pin their home country. Our terrace room was on the top floor. It was simple but yet delightfully decorated. Shower booth was small but nice hot water was always available. The view of Lisbon and the Castle from the room was breathtaking. Wi-Fi in the room was strong and there were many TV channels available to my husband who unfortunately had to stay in bed for bad cold. Carlos kindly prepared hot lemon with honey at the breakfast table to help my husband. Was nice to have lovely breakfast while chatting with Carlos on history, society and culture of Portugal. Special Portuguese pastries were available and I sampled different one each day. Fresh cheese with kiwi fruit was also served on our last day and it was really delicious. Having stayed at the lovely B&B, we shifted to the Guesthouse which was just around the corner. It is also wonderfully decorated flats -- While it took some time to give us sufficient warmth with an electric heather that Carlos kindly brought, our self-contained flat was quite pleasant. Carlos kindly brewed traditional herbal medicine for my husband and we were really touched by his concerns. Since my husband could not manage to explore this fascinating Lisbon due to his cold, we are already talking about the next trip. Will definitely go back to Zuza bed, be it B&B, Apt or Guesthouse. Hopefully by then the window of the room would be replaced to give the lovely view of Lisbon from the bed in the terrace room.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bohemian2011
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We stayed at Zuza Guest House for a total of four nights on two separate occasions. For budget travelers, this is a really great option. (It is not the same place as the B&B.) The guest house is for self-caterers. Private rooms, newly and tastefully refurnished in a mix of Ikea and local artisans, with shared bathrooms. Very clean. There's a shared kitchen with a breakfast 'kit.' The fridge is stocked with eggs, fresh fruit, cheese, ham and milk. I loved the juicer -- squeezing fresh OJ in the morning, what a treat! Luis and staff are very welcoming and helpful, but once you settle in you are pretty much on your own. Great if you're a savvy traveler; if you need more guidance, I imagine paying more for the B&B would be a better option. For example, there are no maps provided. Also worth mentioning that in the winter there is no central heating. There was a space heater provided when we requested it. Windows are single pane, so street noise can be a bit of an issue. But these are small quibbles, and in my opinion part of the experience of staying in an old house in the center of the city. This is outstanding value for a really low rate, and the location is perfect for exploring Chiado and Bairro Alto, not to mention a few minutes walk from Rossio train station (where you catch the train to Sintra for a day trip, recommended!)

Room Tip: The largest room is the room on the first floor with the tiles. The rooms on the second floor are quite small.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jooleea
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Lisbon is a fascinating city to explore and Zuzabed is a great place to stay while there. Luis and his wonderful staff go to great lengths to help you plan your stay and to make you feel at home. Carlos checked me in and gave me a great welcome and lots of helpful information. It was great having the cell phone they supplied to have a 24 hour a day connection to them if I needed anything. The rooms were clean, stylish, comfortable and the terrace garden was really nice with an excellent view of the city and the castle. It's a great location. Internet connection was very good, Air conditioning and heating worked well. I appreciated being able to make tea or coffee any time. Breakfast was very nice - fruit salad, eggs, yogurt,cakes, breads, cold cuts and often a little something special prepared by Luis. His warm, generous personality will make any stay with Luis a very positive experience. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank BikerAnnieBlue
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Just spent 5 nights at Zuzabed B&B on my first trip to Lisbon and I will definitely be returning.

HOST: I arrived in the morning and was greeted by the infamous Luis—as others have said, you immediately feel at home. Each morning at breakfast, we would catch up and Luis would help plan our day. When I would call him on the mobile phone (he provided), he would always be there to answer any questions or help with reservations. On our last night, we went out for drinks and ended up having dinner as well. Luis is a true gentleman with an infectious zest for life.

ROOM: After overnight flight, I was able to check-in immediately. The terrace rooms were already booked so Luis recommended the Vintage which is very nice and QUIET as it’s on the back side of the building (still with lovely view). The room may be small by US standards but I was completely comfortable. Water pressure in the shower was great. Beds are comfortable. There is even a carafe of drinking water which Fatima fills daily.

LOCATION: From airport to door was less than 20 minutes. Centrally located in the Chiado within walking distance to Rossio train station (2 minutes away) where you catch train to Sintra. Fantastic restaurants and bars are very close—be sure to try Bistro 100 Maneiras.

NOTE: We also got to view the new upscale Casa Balthazar which opened this fall. WOW! Impeccably designed by Luis with a lovely pool and amazing city views, next time I plan to stay a few nights there.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends