All reviews lisbon suites luis zuzarte zuza bed other guests castle room bairro alto private patio yogurt breakfast table each morning home away from home ham each guest flights of stairs living room rossio station beautiful city
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Lisbon is a fascinating city to explore and Zuzabed is a great place to stay while there. Luis and his wonderful staff go to great lengths to help you plan your stay and to make you feel at home. Carlos checked me in and gave me a great welcome and lots of helpful information. It was great having the cell phone they supplied to have a 24 hour a day connection to them if I needed anything. The rooms were clean, stylish, comfortable and the terrace garden was really nice with an excellent view of the city and the castle. It's a great location. Internet connection was very good, Air conditioning and heating worked well. I appreciated being able to make tea or coffee any time. Breakfast was very nice - fruit salad, eggs, yogurt,cakes, breads, cold cuts and often a little something special prepared by Luis. His warm, generous personality will make any stay with Luis a very positive experience. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank BikerAnnieBlue
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Just spent 5 nights at Zuzabed B&B on my first trip to Lisbon and I will definitely be returning.

HOST: I arrived in the morning and was greeted by the infamous Luis—as others have said, you immediately feel at home. Each morning at breakfast, we would catch up and Luis would help plan our day. When I would call him on the mobile phone (he provided), he would always be there to answer any questions or help with reservations. On our last night, we went out for drinks and ended up having dinner as well. Luis is a true gentleman with an infectious zest for life.

ROOM: After overnight flight, I was able to check-in immediately. The terrace rooms were already booked so Luis recommended the Vintage which is very nice and QUIET as it’s on the back side of the building (still with lovely view). The room may be small by US standards but I was completely comfortable. Water pressure in the shower was great. Beds are comfortable. There is even a carafe of drinking water which Fatima fills daily.

LOCATION: From airport to door was less than 20 minutes. Centrally located in the Chiado within walking distance to Rossio train station (2 minutes away) where you catch train to Sintra. Fantastic restaurants and bars are very close—be sure to try Bistro 100 Maneiras.

NOTE: We also got to view the new upscale Casa Balthazar which opened this fall. WOW! Impeccably designed by Luis with a lovely pool and amazing city views, next time I plan to stay a few nights there.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Was recommended to contact Luis via a mutual friend - and so glad I did!

Only stayed 2 nights but wished I stayed longer! My friend and I stayed at the City Break Suites on Rua Imprensa Nacional. The apartment is beautifully appointed with fantastic little touches. Loved the fact that the fridge was stocked and that someone left fresh bread each morning!

Luis couldn't meet us upon arrival but arranged for Carlos to do so, who showed us how everything worked in the apartment, gave us some great restaurant recommendations, showed us on the map how to get to certain places. And we were given a mobile phone so that we can call them if ever we needed anything! (It was amusing trying to use a old style Nokia having become used to a smartphone - but maybe that's just me!)

Luis called us later to apologise for not being able to meet us and we arranged to meet up later for drinks. However, I am a bit of a ditzo and got the days muddled up, so we didn't get chance to meet up in the end. Would have loved to have met him so a little gutted!

There was torrential rain during the first night which left the drains smelling a little less than fresh... But that's just Lisbon! We had an issue with the shower water not draining away (again - could be possibly to do with the rains from the previous night?) so we called Carlos who promised to sort it out.

The beds were extremely comfortable and cosy. They were quite high up so I did feel a little like Princess and the Pea!

Plenty of power points for plugging electrical items in (always a bug bear with me re hotels... Grrr) and there's free WiFi too.

Kitchen was well appointed with a food & drinks in the fridge, a good coffee machine and a dishwasher (if you don't do washing up).

Thanks Luis and Carlos for a great place to crash for 2 nights!
Obrigada!

Wendy

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor and there's no lift - so for those with lots of heavy luggage or less able, check with Luis first!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Luis was clearly born to run this business. The efficient booking process, the provision of all possible amenities, and the energy Luis put into ensuring my stay was relaxing and comfortable all combined to ensure that this was a fabulous trip.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Our association with Zuzabed got off to a kind of shaky start - the proprietor Luis takes a short vacation once a month to recharge his batteries, and I suspect we picked the wrong day for our initial enquiries, since he happened to be on the other side of the Atlantic at the time. Fortunately, I persevered and eventually tracked him down and got the necessary handshaking done to start the booking process.

It was worth it. And more.

I only mention this in case anyone else has second thoughts if their email enquiries don’t come flashing back in a nanosecond: this is very much a hands-on, one-man operation and Luis cannot be expected to be everywhere at once.

As for the accommodation and the services provided by Luis and his small but perfectly-formed team (including the charming Carlos, but don’t praise Benfica too much in his presence), it’s all been said before, but it is worth repeating: this is a class act, offering a great base from which to explore Lisbon and providing a relaxed and cordial ambience you will not get in most hotels.

Yes, there are steps on the Calcada do Duque outside, and restaurants with enthusiastic chuckers-in to negotiate your way past. No, there is no large neon sign above the door. Yes, there are stairs to climb (though there are willing hands to carry the bags up and down), and yes, by some standards the rooms are quite small, but these are a very small price to pay for the fact that this is an extremely comfortable and congenial crib, in a quite excellent location, a stone’s throw from Chiado, Rossio, and the nightspots of Bairro Alto.

The rooms and bathrooms are very well appointed, the wi-fi worked well, there is a comfortable lounging area with more guidebooks and maps than you can shake a stick at, breakfasts are excellent, and above all your host does everything to make you feel like an old friend stopping over for a few days (we were there for two nights at the beginning of our trip and one at the end) rather than a faceless pax in Room 401.

There have been umpteen references before this to “the mobile phone” that Luis hands out to guests - this is no simple gimmick, but an extremely useful tool, and even worked in the other direction as a packed local restaurant rang me in the street to report that a table Luis had booked for us was now available. When you have been in a strange city for less than two hours and this sort of thing happens, you KNOW you have landed on your feet.

Since he also liaised with other restaurants we had booked, and with the car rental firm we’d dealt with (a quick hat-tip here for the small firm of DSCARS on Avenida de Liberdade, who did a very good job at a competitive price), everything ran like clockwork.

Enjoy your monthly break, Luis, you earn it. And I believe it is probably the key to what keeps the operation fresh - he actually seems to enjoy what he is doing, which makes it doubly enjoyable for those who are lucky enough to get a bed here or at one of the Zuza self-catering apartments.

STRONGLY RECOMMENDED for anyone who does not regard a flashy street-front entrance as what an overnight stay is all about.

Tip: The top-floor rooms with terrace go fast.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple