“Place and people, all superb”

Heritage Avenida Liberdade
Ranked #3 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, ON
“Place and people, all superb”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We bookended our tour of Portugal with two days here to start and two to end. This worked magnificently. Our rooms, both facing the side-street, were roomy, clean and comfortable, with an unfussy contemporary look (without that sleek effect some hotels foist on you). Staff very nice and helpful in minor and major issues. Excellent selection at breakfast (fresh juices, v. nice croissants and buns, fruit, coffee with hot milk, cereal, eggs and bacon if desired). In the evening, there are decanters of port for you to unwind with, on the house. Nice. Another nice touch: in-room safes with power outlets, so you could lock up electronics while charging them.

The only change I would ask for is the removal of an utterly dreadful piece of "artwork" in the lobby – it looks like the cover of one of those s-f novels where people fight aliens while riding on dragons. Sell it to a comic-book store.

Other than that, it will be my first choice for a repeat visit.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the side street offer a good balance of quiet and view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank davidww1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Hebrew first
Holmfirth, England
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Party of 6 guys celebrating friends 50th. We had a splendid time and were central to all the sites and fun. We all said it was a perfect hotel to stay in and would all come back with our families separately.

Room Tip: They were all good
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed at this beautiful boutique hotel last week and from the minute we arrived until we departed it was a complete and utter joy. How often can you say that about an hotel.
We arrived at 11 a.m. and after a wonderful greeting and going through the very quick and efficient checking in process, we were offered a late breakfast! Also as our room was unavailable until 3 p.m. we were offered use of the wet rooms in the basement which were furnished with a large supply of towels etc. There were ample seating areas in the reception area, and 24 hour access to the "tea and coffee bar". Bowls of fruit were always on hand as were decanters of port - all on the house!
The position of the hotel was superb and only a stroll from the centre of this part of the city.
Our room was big and airy and the bathroom fully stocked with Molton Brown toiletries. Clean towels were provided every day and if there was anything you were wanting, it was just a question of asking the staff and it would appear!
I cannot speak highly enough of this wonderful hotel. My friend and I are planning to return next year to this beautiful city, and will be going back here to stay.
To say that the hotel itself and the staff left a lasting impression is an understatement.
A lot of the bigger hotels around the globe could learn a lot from the Heritage.
If possible I would give it 10 stars!! So go there if you can. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Second floor at the side of the hotel. We were not disturbed at all by any outside noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jacqueline D
Calgary
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was a lovely place to stay. It's a beautiful old building right in the heart of the city. Easy walking distance to windy old streets and restaurants nearby.
The rooms are spacious, clean and beautifully decorated. Clean and modern design. My room looked straight out onto the Avenida. The service was very friendly and breakfast was good. I only wish I could have stayed there for more than one night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank oliverhalliwell
dublin
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Just back from a 3 night stay with my elderly Mum at this hotel. From the minute we arrived the staff went out of their way to help us. A simple thing like carrying our bags from the taxi, and changing our allocated room to a room that was ready because we had arrived early at 12am.
We stayed on the first floor, facing the main road, however our room was very quite and we heard no road noise at all.
The little touches like fresh biscuits and cakes in the lobby beside a range of fresh tea leaves so guests could help themselves to some fresh tea or coffee during the day was a lovely touch. As to was the wine and port that was available from 4pm on the lobby, again for guests to help themselves. Although I have to admit when we came back from sightseeing during the day I would make a pot of tea for mum and bring it up to our room instead of having it on the comfy couches in the lobby. Yet again the staff always lent a helping hand by offering to bring the tea up to our room or since my hands were full they would call the lift for me and enter my floor number for me.
The staff were always on hand with maps and directions and money saving tips on tram tickets and to make reservations.
On the day we were leaving I had problems with my airlines website and was unable to print our boarding passes, the reception staff asked for my booking reference and when we finished breakfast they had managed to print our boarding passes. Now that's service!
Highly recommend this hotel both for its location and staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Irishskibunny23
Bangor, Northern Ireland
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel in great location. Very clean hotel and friendly helpful staff. Very spacious rooms for a city hotel. Loved the facility if the jet pool in the basement. Enjoyed the complimentary port and tea in the lobby area. When visiting Lisbon in the future I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank MarkPoole2000
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed September 14, 2013

What a nice hotel in a great location ! Close to old town and right on the Avenida da Liberdade. I had room # 35 which was perfect. I had a great view of the funicular and even saw the flags on the top of St. George castle. The room was quiet as it was in the back of the hotel. Nice bathroom too. Breakfast downstairs was nice with enough variety of foods. I really liked the concierge services. Special thank you to Andre who helped me arrange private excursion for me and my parents. Really great experience overall and I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Take # 35. It is in the back of the hotel on the corner.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family