“We will come back”
Review of Bairro Alto Hotel

Bairro Alto Hotel
Ranked #20 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had two memorable days in this top Hotel. The staff was excellent and always helpful and kind. The room was small but with lots of flair and the bed more than heavenly. You can walk to all major places and the area fills the cup of excellence. It you are to go to Lisbon it is hard to find a better place. Thanks Bairro Alto Hotel, we see us again!!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
BAH_Manager, General Manager at Bairro Alto Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Sehr Geehrter Herr Oliver F,

Greetings from Lissabon to Hamburg.
Thank you so much for your feedback.

We shall be awating your next visit. Hopefully with better weather.
Mit freundlischen Gruessen,

Reviewed April 1, 2013

When in Lisbon, it really pays off to be centrally located. Bairro Alto Hotel's location simply beats all other competitors. Situated in Luis de Camoes Square, on the verge of the Bairro Alto bar and restaurant district, and walking distance from the main attractions.
To this you have to add true 5 star elegance and service, but none of the silly exuberance in other hotels. This is simple but rather effective luxury and charm.
Simply cannot recommend it more fervently. This is a stay you will remember.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the square are best.
1  Thank Spanishwanderer

Dear Spanishwanderer,

Thank you for your email and such kind feedback towards our staff and property.
It is a sheer pleasure to have such nice comments from a avid traveller like you.

On behalf of my team, I wish you a great Spring and a better summer.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

The people who work here could not be nicer and more helpful. The hotel is newly done with a great breakfast and right in the middle of all the action. Rooms are not large but they are very comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nannysuef

Dear Nannysuef,

Thank you for your kind appreciation of our boutique Hotel.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

It was my third visit to Bairro Alto Hotel, the fact which, to my pleasant surprise, the staff duly noticed. I have to say it is one of my favorite hotel with its gorgeous location, comfortable size, and attentive service. The rooms are a tat small for the pricing but interiors are harmonious and well-kept and the bathrooms are impeccable. The place gets a bit noisy at night, especially on weekends, but that is (dis)advantage of being in the heart of Bairro Alto, charming and slightly bohemian part of Lisbon. The restaurant, cosy as it is, dishes out great eats and the roof bar sports the most stunning view of Tagus. Definitely, the place to visit...and visit again.

Room Tip: Top floor Junior suite is about the size that makes me comfortable. The price, though, is quite hig...
2  Thank TomekCH

Dear Mr. TomekCH,

It is with great joy we have received such a GREAT feedback from someone on his third visit to Bairro Alto Hotel. Thank you very much, we really appreciate your kind feedback.

All the best to Warsaw - from your friends at the Bairro Alto Hotel.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

My wife and I had wanted to see Lisbon and found this place in a review in the Daily Telegraph. We are in our early 40s and wanted a luxurious, lively weekend with great food and drink and we got exactly that !
We checked into the Hotel on Thursday before 12pm, staff could not of been more friendly or helpful and provided free drinks as a welcome in the Bar as our room was not ready - ths was not the Hotels fault however as we were 3 hours early ! A lovely and unnecessary gesture, which sums up the service here.
The Hotel is slap bang in the centre and there are loads of Bars, Taberna and top quality restaurants within a minutes walk. The Roof top Terrace provides great views, although it can get a little windy (it was March however).
The Bar is small but has a DJ every night but this cannot be heard fromm the Rooms (402).
Breakfast is a typically continental affair but ht breakfast is available.

Any downsides....possibly that the Bars etc in the neighbourhood are open until 3am so perhaps there is a little noise, but we went there for that reason, to be in the middle of things so by the time you get to bed, with a couple of drinks inside you the noise is not a concern !!

Would we go back - DEFINITELY.
There is a small tapas bar in the road next to the Hotel, 50 yards away called Taberna rua de Flores. Have eaten in some of Europes top restaurants and have never had a meal this good !unbelievably for 2 with wine was 50 Euros ! Its a must but from the street you would walk past it.
Make sure you visit Sintra, go by train, 30 minutes and fantastic experience, and also pop up to Cascais for the day and stop for a drink in The Farrol Desighn Hotel - wonderful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on levels 3 or above, if really choosy ask for a eroom not overlooking the square, bu...

Dear Mr. Warren M,

I have passed your comments to all our team, who I'm sure, will be encouraged with your kind remarks.

I'll make sure to let our kind neighbours from "Taberna da Rua das Flores" get your great feedback.

Our kindest regards,

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I was booked into the Barrio Alto Hotel for a 2 night stay for work. We turned up and was greeted by the courteous doorman and a porter who promptly took my bag to the side. The check-in staff were polite, efficient and got us quickly up to my room (102). First impressions were good, and it was only when I was going up to my room that I noticed this was a 5 star hotel. Swanky.

Surprisingly, I was given a key (not a keycard) to the room and it took me a second to get used to it as the lock settles horizontally rather than vertically, but upon opening the door I was greeted with a very plush room. Great lighting and understated, quality decor, wooden floors, high hanging curtains opening out to a small balcony & a clean medium sized bathroom. Just looking around you can tell money was spent on the furnishings, and no corners cut in the process.

It's the little touches from a 5 star hotel that really shine out from the usual accomodation I stay in. A turn-down service at 6pm, a bottle of wine gifted on the 1st night, and the famous Portugeuse custard tarts on the 2nd. Robe and complimentary slippers, and a dental and bathroom kit on request. In short, without having a bell and butler at your beck and call, the stay is incredibly comfortable. It's a fantastic destination if you want a bit of luxury on your holiday. The bar downstairs was nice enough ( but apparently not a patch on the roof bar, which unfortunately I didn't get to), a bit cave-like in the back and not as atmospheric as it could be, but the breakfast was lovely with a good selection of fruit, cheese, bread and scrambled eggs and sausages.

If there was only one thing I could mention, is that the shower pressure is a bit on the low side, and the limited range of movement rom the head meant you basically had to stand over the plug hole.

So why only 4 stars? My best comparison 5 star hotel-wise is the Mandarin Oriental in Kuala Lumpur, which is extremely impressive in terms of elegance, style and the facilities on offer. Even the breakfast selection is awe-inspiring. Bairro Alto certainly equals it in terms of service and looks, however in terms of value it slightly falls short of the mark. I completely understand that its a boutique, city centre hotel, but IMHO if you are competing against 5 star chain hotels you have to have point of difference that counterbalances what they offer. The Mandarin in KL has impressive views, all the modern amenities, amazing food and location for around the same price as the Bairro Alto. That's not at all a besmirch on the Bairro - it's a lovely, elegant hotel that, if you can afford it, will make your trip a memorable one.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Seraphial,

Greetings from Lisbon.
On behalf of my team, I thank you for having brought all these details within the tripadvisor community. I think details are never enough and this is really what other travellers want to feel.

Nevertheless, in fact, we are indeed a 5 star hotel, as per Portuguese law and standards.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require any assistance from your nest trip either on business or leisure.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed at the Bairro Alto Hotel to celebrate my 30th birthday with a friend.
A local from Lisbon recommended this hotel to me and despite other great options, after hours of research I took his advice.
It was the best decision I've ever made. The location is absolutely perfect and cannot be beat by any other hotel in the city.
The hotel itself, the restaurant, the rooms were exquisite. The rooftop terrace bar can't be missed. The beds were so comfortable that making it downstairs before the end of breakfast at 11am was a struggle.
The value for our money was excellent, the experience itself was priceless.
The staff was the best I've ever encountered. Everyone in the hotel called me by name and walking in the door felt like I was returning home to a sea of friendly faces, all smiles all the time. They were available to answer my questions and concerns via email even before I booked a room and were easily able to accommodate requests that other hotel staff would have scoffed at without a second thought.

I've stayed in many wonderful hotels all over the world, but this was by far the best hotel experience of my life. Lisbon is one of the most magical places on earth, and the Bairro Alto Hotel was nothing short of magic.
Cannot wait to book my next trip!!

• Stayed: March 2013
BAH_Manager, Front Office Manager at Bairro Alto Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Osarina314,

First of all let me thank your portuguese friend who gave you a great advice! - as we would both agree :O). and secondly; thank you for being sop kind and for having the time to share your comments within the Tripadvisor community.

It is with such a great review like this one, that we all feel we are on the right path. Your feedback could be used as the headlines toward a "portuguese tourism campaign".

Thank you so much.